Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2014 Iron owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 05:47 PM
jbadjones
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2014 Iron owner

Ello all! I've posted a few times on the board but haven't made my official introduction. I'm a 31 year old semi-normal guy from Louisiana. I've always wanted to ride motorcycles since I was a small child, but an overprotective mother kept me from doing that, lol. Fast foward a few years and I bought a 2002 Honda spirit 750 and didn't even ride it. Started tearing it down to give it a bobber look. Well, needless to say the bike sat and sat and I lost interest. I even picked up a 2002 Honda ACE for the low price of a trade of a Glock 26 pistol. However, I was looking to turn a profit on the pistol, so I sold the bike to a buddy of mine for a good price and we all came out ahead. I know right, what kind of loser does these things?

I've maintained my interest in motorcycles, just haven't actively pursued it I guess you would say. I've always seen the Irons out and about and love the look! So, one day I'm browsing Craigslist and see that a guy is offering a brand new 14' Iron with 11 MILES the clock. I text the guy thinking it was a scam. I start chatting the dude up and realize he is legit. He explained that he was stationed at a local Army base and he won the bike when a new PX opened up. He wanted $7500 for the bike and I made him a stupidly low offer which he rejected. A couple weeks pass and he texts me and asks if I can go any higher and I tell him I just couldn't and the price I offered is all I could swing. Fast forward a month and he text and asked if I'm still interested. I said sure, but at my price. Well, I clear it with the boss and she actually gives me the okay even though she hates motorcycles! Well, we get everything in order and I walk away with a brand spanking new 2014 Iron with 11 miles for $5000! I am an extreme tight wod so I never would have dreamed I would own a Harley!

Now, for my dilemma (be nice now). Ummmmm, I don't know how to ride. Lol, well I know how to ride but in buying a new bike I'm afraid I'll dump it so I am delaying the riding process until I can get a buddy to come "supervise" me riding. So, I buy a crash guard. It's not a very good fit and to make things worse, when I went to bolt the horn bracket/motor mount back on, I can only get one bolt in place! The other bolt will only start and then won't go any further and I definitely don't want to force it and mess up the threads located in the frame (seems like an expensive fix). Does anybody have any pointers for this? Ever experienced something similar? I know right, what an even bigger loser! lol!

Anyway, I really have enjoyed going through the forums and I look forward to finally getting up the courage to ride my bike! Glad there's somewhere to find such informative reading!! Blessings to you all!!

Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Duende01
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbadjones
Ello all! I've posted a few times on the board but haven't made my official introduction. I'm a 31 year old semi-normal guy from Louisiana. I've always wanted to ride motorcycles since I was a small child, but an overprotective mother kept me from doing that, lol. Fast foward a few years and I bought a 2002 Honda spirit 750 and didn't even ride it. Started tearing it down to give it a bobber look. Well, needless to say the bike sat and sat and I lost interest. I even picked up a 2002 Honda ACE for the low price of a trade of a Glock 26 pistol. However, I was looking to turn a profit on the pistol, so I sold the bike to a buddy of mine for a good price and we all came out ahead. I know right, what kind of loser does these things?

I've maintained my interest in motorcycles, just haven't actively pursued it I guess you would say. I've always seen the Irons out and about and love the look! So, one day I'm browsing Craigslist and see that a guy is offering a brand new 14' Iron with 11 MILES the clock. I text the guy thinking it was a scam. I start chatting the dude up and realize he is legit. He explained that he was stationed at a local Army base and he won the bike when a new PX opened up. He wanted $7500 for the bike and I made him a stupidly low offer which he rejected. A couple weeks pass and he texts me and asks if I can go any higher and I tell him I just couldn't and the price I offered is all I could swing. Fast forward a month and he text and asked if I'm still interested. I said sure, but at my price. Well, I clear it with the boss and she actually gives me the okay even though she hates motorcycles! Well, we get everything in order and I walk away with a brand spanking new 2014 Iron with 11 miles for $5000! I am an extreme tight wod so I never would have dreamed I would own a Harley!

Now, for my dilemma (be nice now). Ummmmm, I don't know how to ride. Lol, well I know how to ride but in buying a new bike I'm afraid I'll dump it so I am delaying the riding process until I can get a buddy to come "supervise" me riding. So, I buy a crash guard. It's not a very good fit and to make things worse, when I went to bolt the horn bracket/motor mount back on, I can only get one bolt in place! The other bolt will only start and then won't go any further and I definitely don't want to force it and mess up the threads located in the frame (seems like an expensive fix). Does anybody have any pointers for this? Ever experienced something similar? I know right, what an even bigger loser! lol!

Anyway, I really have enjoyed going through the forums and I look forward to finally getting up the courage to ride my bike! Glad there's somewhere to find such informative reading!! Blessings to you all!!
BIG Congrats and you definitely got a GREAT deal. In regards to being afraid, you know if you start thinking that your are going to dump it, you will dump it. Get some confidence and take it easy at first riding in empty parking lots and around your neighborhood. When you get enough confidence, go a little farther until eventually you will be riding at highway speeds. Take it from me, my first bike which I still own is on my sig below and believe me when I tell you... That is close to 800lbs of raw torque and power.

My first time riding it was truly defining as I started to get an anxiety attack from feeling the wind hitting my chest. I turned around and parked it. The next day, I took it out to an empty school parking lot and my confidence grew to the point that we became one. You cannot ride a motorcycle thinking that you are going to fall, otherwise you will not be comfortable and you will not enjoy it as you should. Take it easy at first and respect it. You are starting with an 883 which is not too much. The beast below is 1783cc and you will feel every single one of them at the twist of the throttle. Again, congratulations and ride safe.

BTW, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Riding Course can help you with your basics. If you don't feel like doing it on your bike, they usually have 250cc loaners to help you gain some confidence.

Last edited by Duende01; 06-27-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:13 AM
mike hawk
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can ride a bicycle well, or have ridden a dirt bike well, you already know what you're doing.

If you haven't... Practice on another bike, to save yourself the cost of dumping it.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:22 AM
shortbusondubs
Cruiser

Take a local riders safety course and get your license. You may have to grind the holes out just a hair for fitment. I had to do the same thing.

Congrats on s smokin deal!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 AM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's a GREAT deal!!! Now as the post says right above me - go to take a riders course asap before you ride the bike more. It's totally worth it and you'll thank us all later for telling you!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:43 AM
coyotedream1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man,

I live in Houma - where are you? Start off slow and easy - something you feel comfortable doing...

I've been riding bikes all of my life, man, and I still get butterflies when I ride a new bike for the first time. I started on an old Honda dirt bike when I was 7 or 8 and it went from there, but I didn't get my first street bike 'til I was 19 - an old Honda Rebel 450 - and I was scared as Hell the first I started riding on the street, but about 10 seconds into the ride, my instincts took over and I was fine. Since then (1992) I've gone on and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 and an old Yamaha maxim 550 (still have the Maxim) and I bought a 2003 Shadow Spirit 750 and a 2013 Suzuki S40, but it wasn't until 2005 that I bought my first Harley - a 2002 Hugger 883 (similar to the Iron), and I was again scared the first time I rode it. But, again, about 10 seconds into the ride I was right as rain and as happy as happy could be. I've since bought a 2012 Seventy-Two (bought it used with about 5,000 miles on it) and last weekend I went and bought a brand new Iron - I freaking love it - even more than my old Hugger (which I shouldn't have sold) - the Iron is a close to perfect bike to me - I tell my wife it was made for me.

I now own:
2015 HD Iron in Sand Cammo (love it)
2013 Suzuki Boulevard S40 in Orange (fun bike)
2012 HD Seventy-Two in Blue (love it - thinking about trading it for a 1200 custom)
1983 Yamaha Maxim XJ550 in Cherry Red (great back and forth to work and play bike - I also taught my wife to ride on this bike)

I want a 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special and a 1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Anyway, riding is amazing - you'll feel alive. Find an old empty parking lot and just ride around in circles 'til you feel comfortable. Then find some nearby road with limited trafic and ride up and down it 'til you get even more comfortable. Then, go get your license and start riding...

If you're anywhere near Houma, let me know.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:10 AM
dkizerian
Cruiser

Please take a riders course, it's worth the time and money invested.
Then practice, practice, practice...

Then enjoy the hell out of your Iron!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Andy Arocho
Cruiser

incredible deal! confidence is key, if you think you're going down you will..take it slow and learn the right way. parking lots and low traffic roads are your best bets, even if its just around your neighborhood. always be aware of your surroundings, just because you see them does not mean they see you.

good luck & ride safe

Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Congrats. Like others have said take the riders safety training course. It will give you the confidence to ride and have fun doing it.

With respect to your crash bars, make sure you have the right crash bars for your bike. If it is, make sure that bolts and mounting holes are still good by removing your crash bars and screwing the bolts in without force. If still good, reinstall the crash bars by hand tightening all bolts (keep it loose) until they are all seated properly. Then tighten the engine mount bolts first as they are the important ones, then tighten the bottom bolts. Be patient, I also had some difficulty installing my crash bars. When installed, it is solid so logically fit will be tight.

Last edited by hscic; 06-29-2015 at 12:38 PM.