Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynojet Power Vision / Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM
djKail
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynojet Power Vision / Engine Temp

Took my first ride with the Dynojet Power Vision. I flashed the ECM with the preloaded tune that Jamie loaded in from Fuel Moto.

Decided to mount it to take advantage of the gauges, mostly because I was concerned with engine temp.

Ambient temperatures were only about 68-70 degrees and my engine temp shot right up to about 360 cruising in the city. This is at approximately 35-40 MPH. Took her out on the highway and at about 60-70mph the temp dropped to around 330.

back in the city the temperature shot right back up to 360 when cruising in 3rd gear at 35mph.

Should I be concerned with these Temps? Is it possible I am running lean in that cruising throttle position? Forgive my ignorance, this is my first Harley and I just want to ensure it lasts me along time, and it's running OK.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

There has been several temp threads in the last few weeks... 370-410 temps are normal for our engines...

Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Perfectly normal. Look in the back of your PV manual. Normal max temp for a sportster is 410 degrees. Keep in mind, this is the temperature at the top of the rear head. This is not oil temperature.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

I was one of those threads about temp....your temp is normal. I run about 360-380 in normal traffic. The other day in really slow freeway traffic (almost stop and go), my temp got up to 430.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
djKail
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback, glad to know my temps are acceptable.

I think I'll just skip the auto tune for now since my temps are OK and I'm happy with the way the bike runs with the map supplied by fuel moto.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 AM
jerryw618
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djKail
Thanks for the feedback, glad to know my temps are acceptable.

I think I'll just skip the auto tune for now since my temps are OK and I'm happy with the way the bike runs with the map supplied by fuel moto.

Hello there, I would do autotune ASAP, The tunes you get are pretty good but getting a good autotune setup will be much better . you will see what im talking about once its done.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Since it is your first ride with the PV, Jamie must have loaded a canned custom tune for your mods. So yes, I would also run multiple session autotunes. It just refines your canned custom tune and adjusts to your riding style. If you still have some issues after autotune like decel popping, then ask Jamie to modify your autotune to address those issues.
I still had very minor decel popping after autotune so I sent the autotune to Jamie. Jamie made some adjustments to the VE tables, decel enleanment, & AF tables....and to my delight, everything running perfectly. Jamie is the PV guru. If you have questions with your tune, ask Jamie...the expert.

Last edited by hscic; 06-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 PM
djKail
Advanced

Originally Posted by jerryw618
Hello there, I would do autotune ASAP, The tunes you get are pretty good but getting a good autotune setup will be much better . you will see what im talking about once its done.
So, autotune does not write over my existing tune, but instead exports any changes to a new tune? I have no decel popping, everything seems smooth, I don't want to loose what I have by trying to mess with things that are not broken.

I have been watching the Dynojet tutorial video on it and it seems straightforward, I just want to ensure that if things change for the worse I can go back to the custom tune that Jamie loaded in from Fuel Moto.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by djKail
So, autotune does not write over my existing tune, but instead exports any changes to a new tune? I have no decel popping, everything seems smooth, I don't want to loose what I have by trying to mess with things that are not broken.

I have been watching the Dynojet tutorial video on it and it seems straightforward, I just want to ensure that if things change for the worse I can go back to the custom tune that Jamie loaded in from Fuel Moto.

That's correct. You'll load your existing tune as a baseline, run autotune, and the device will create a duplicate that it then makes adjustments to while you're riding in autotune mode. Once you are done, it will ask you to save the new tune in a different slot. Then, you shut down the bike, install the newly created tune, and ride. If I make changes, I do this 6 or 8 times just to get a good sampling of my riding habits.

As an example.
Load your current tune (probably from FuelMoto) into slot 1.
Run autotune.
Save to slot 2.
Run autotune on the new slot 2 tune.
Save to slot 3.
Run autotune on the new slot 3 tune.
Save to slot 4.
Repeat until you fill slot 8. That should be enough, but you could keep going by saving the autotuned slot 8 file in slot 1 and continuing.

If you have the ability, dump some of your tunes to the PC for future use.

Also, note that while in autotune, your the PV restricts some of the bike's natural corrections, so you might feel like it's not running as good as it should. This is normal. Don't judge the effectiveness of autotune by how it runs while in autotune mode. The results aren't pure until you have the tune running in normal mode.

This is important. I had a friend spend his entire weekend running the autotune over and over (really, probably 25 times in two days.) He kept cussing the results because he didn't know that the bike doesn't run "right" while in autotune mode.

Needless to say, after his frustrated weekend, he had a really good tune!

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 AM
djKail
Advanced

Thanks! I will give this a shot tonight!

Quick Reply: Dynojet Power Vision / Engine Temp