Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron vs 48

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 AM
mojo_rising
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron vs 48

Hi everyone

My first post on here I am hoping I can get some help in deciding...

A brief background and to get things of my chest after all theses years..

I grew up in California and was totally obsessed with Harleys as a teenager, so uch so that I went to MMI in Phoenix to learn how to build the bikes. I started collecting parts for a 56 Panhead at the time.. but all that dream was short lived when I had to leave and come back home, Beirut. I never made it back, haven't built my Panhead and hadn't even rode since then..

23 years later the dream is back and I cant seem to think of anything else... There are some used bikes in town but prices are high in comparison to the states.
My needs for the bike are for going around town, minimal long distance rides. I need to consider that our streets are crowded with nasty drivers, potholes, random bumps and worn out cheap grade asphalt.

I passed by a shop literally around the corner from my house selling used bikes, he has a few 48s and 2012 iron. I love the iron look. He had shipped it in from the US a few months ago and it still sits in the showroom.

I like the upgrades on the Iron.

I then found a 2011 48 in another shop that is a little higher in price and I am sure I can negotiate down since it has been sitting there for almost a year.

Whichever bike i get I would what i will do is strip it to the bare minimum and make a bobber out of it.

So now the dilemma.

So what it essentially boils down to is, a low bobbed iron with the power and wheels of a 48.

Any feedback will be amazing and much appreciated before i go and spending my my hard earned dollars..

Thanks,
Mo

Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 AM
james4b
Intermediate

I say you really cant go wrong either way you choose. Both are great bikes that can be modded into however you want. I have a 48 and have never ridden an Iron so hopefully someone who has had both will comment. I can say that I got the 48 due to bigger engine and the factory look is almost dead on with what I want my bike to be. It has saved me money in the long run as I spend my money on just small things to suit my taste instead of large expensive pieces and modifications.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:24 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a 48 but I like the looks of 883 too. If you could find a nightster that would be perfect.

I would ride both, and see which feels better.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 AM
BezRoc
Cruiser

You can bob out both.

You can also bore out the iron to mke it 1200cc. And as powerful as the 48.

Ive rode both. Theyre the same ride to me..

Get on one and see what feels best.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:27 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

I had both, have a 48 now and like it much more. The fat front tire handles those tar snakes and cracks in the road better than the thinner tire on the Iron, plus the 1200 from the get go is noticeably stronger than the 883 in the Iron as well. Personally I loved my Iron a lot and the flat blacked out look still looks great to me but the engine from the start really is now, to me, the biggest difference. Theres a much lighter feel to the 48 when riding compared to the Iron due to that power difference. Still suggest you try both out and see what fits you and feels right. Some people love the mids, but the 48s forwards really arent that far out there and fit me better also. But on the negative side the 2.1 gallon tank becomes much smaller after having t he 3.3 on the Iron, usually need to get gas around 65 miles on the odometer to put in around 1.5ish gallons so longer rides means more stops. But you can always buy a new tank, new engine much more difficult, but doable regardless.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:59 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

As much as I love my Iron, I'd have to admit its not got the greatest suspension. If you're going to ride on pothole ridden roads, make sure you have a good dental plan!

Old 06-20-2015, 05:28 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I also like the look of the Iron...but I would go with the 48 for its engine and front tire setup.

You will have to upgrade suspension on either one...

Best of luck on your decision

Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

get the 48 and transform it into an iron. you'll have the 1200 power, the fat wheels, and the cool matte black look..lol

Attached Thumbnails iron vs 48-1.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 AM
mojo_rising
Stage IV

Hey guys ... thank you for the replies..

The more I look into it the more it makes sense to go to the 48. Its got more power and the tires look great and are better for our roads..
However eventually converting the iron to a 1200 is always a possibility but it will cost time labor and parts which will be more than what the 48 is worth now. And I will not have the fat tires. On the other hand as mentioned above on the 48 i can get a bigger tank,give it a lift, custom paint it and and come out with an iron 48.

hmmm... theoritically it all makes sense.
Now i need to shop around some more for 48s in case i find a better deal before settling for this one..

Is there anything specific I should consider..
a friend sent me photos of one he is selling he has it at the dealer looks nice but slightly over my budget. its a 2014 though.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:00 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

That 2011 should be fine, no need to jump on the 2014... It looks completely stock. And the price difference can go into making it look like you want it...

Quick Reply: iron vs 48