Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few questions about Fork Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Newellhole
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just a few questions about Fork Tubes

Okay so I did a search and never really got what I was looking for. I definitely need new tubes for my 98 1200C just had progressive springs installed new seals and oil, they popped within 2 weeks. Anyways, my question is does anyone have a similar bike that has 2" longer tubes? I'd like to see a picture of what they look like installed on a Custom. And did they change the handling in any way? Also, if I were to do this what would I need to get for a dampening kit so I get a little more travel? I live in Canada too if that makes a difference for companies that supply these things. Any advise here would help, thanks!

Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Your bike should have the longest stock tubes and dampers of the sportster line.
If you jack up the bike and measure from the seals to the lower tree , is it about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2" ?
My first though would be too much fork oil.
If there is a factory spec for fluid height , make sure it's not higher than the spec.
If the forks were just drained and refilled with a certain cc of fluid , this would be probable.
If the fluid height is too high , there is not enough "air space" in the forks , when they compress they will try to blow the seals.
If you disassembled the forks completely , how were the bushings.
Loose bushings will allow enough "slop" to allow the seals to have to "work out of straight" or beyond their limits to seal.
The fork fluid has to be checked with the fork collapsed , springs out , and preferably as close to vertical as possible.
More info please.
Mick

Old 06-16-2015, 05:25 AM
Newellhole
Cruiser

Thanks Mick!

Unfortunately I'm working out of town right now so I'm not sure on that measurement. I'll check it out on Thursday. I'm not too sure about the bushings or the amount of oil as I didn't do the fork seals and springs myself, I sent it to a shop to get done I don't have the tools nor the space to do it myself right now. I'm pretty sure the mechanic told me he filled the forks until the oil was 6" from the top of the tube, does that sound right? I need to stiffen up the front suspension I thought the progressive springs would do the trick but honestly I can't tell the difference. I'm thinking my tubes may have too many scratches in them now.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

6" from the top of the tube is probably OK as long as they were collapsed and springs were not in at the time.
If the tubes are really scratched and pitted , maybe they need to be replaced.
If the springs were installed with the kit provided spacers , they should be OK for most people.
Are you a pretty big guy?
The reason I ask is you should have about 1/3 rider sag when you sit static on the bike.
If the forks move 5 1/2" total , they should sag about 1 3/4" with you sitting on the bike.
You could shoot for 1 1/2" if you needed more travel for weight or aggressive riding.
The sag is set with the top spacers easily if needed , they are just PVC plumbing tube.
Once the sag is set , if they seem too soft , or move to quickly , you could go up a weight in fluid.
If you're over 220 lbs , the springs may just be too soft.
Keep us posted.
Mick

Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Newellhole
Cruiser

I'm not a huge guy lol I'm around 180 lbs but I'm pretty sure I have more sag than that when I sit on the bike, I'll check it out on Thursday anyways. I want the stiffer suspension more so for aggressive riding, I think I am going to go up a weight in fluid and maybe try a little bigger spacer and see how that works.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm with Mick on this, maybe excessive oil. Give Progressive a call or shoot them an email. They should be able to tell you how much oil to use with their springs. I know for the low versions they have a specific number for the amount of fork oil to be used.