Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor cleaning? / choke cable replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:25 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor cleaning? / choke cable replacement?

Hi folks,

I got some issues with my 2005 Harley Sportster XL1200C. Bike was running fine. Had it at the dealership for an oil change and 2 days later it is acting very weird.

The choke cable was suddenly stuck. Even with that adjustment screw completely loose, it came out only with more force as usual. But even completely pulled out, it didn't do the job. The bike was only running with constant throttle.

But I had to go to work, so I thought it might get better once it warms up. It didn't. Had to throttle constantly all the way to work, otherwise she would just putter, stall and then go off. That makes me think that not only the choke cable is somehow broken but also the carb itself might need a little cleaning/adjustment, because even when warm, the bike didn't run without my hand on the throttle. I would need to find a shop nearby but are there any ideas of what I could test to figure out if this is really the problem? And this might be a stupid question - it probably is - but is it normal that if you pull the throttle, that small jet that is visible in the front of the carb when you take off the air filter shots gas into the carb? Even when everything is switched off? Could I just sit there and empty my tank with my hand playing on the throttle?

Many Thanks and safe riding
Alex

Old 06-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

How many miles on the bike. Any upgrades to exhaust or intake.

Pull your plugs and see how they look. That will point you in a direction.

Could run some sea foam through your tank.

Choke/enriched cable is cheap and easy to replace

As far as gas squirting in there with the bike off. That's normal. Although you won't empty your tank that way. Just the bowl on the carb.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

The "choke" cables do break, I've replaced the cable on my 04 twice. They are inexpensive, I suggest replacing it.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM
xaeu!
Intermediate

This shouldn't happen after a simple oil change, seems that your HD stealer probably diddled around with other stuff that they shouldn't have. Before you spend money on replacing the cable, remove it, and if it's not broken, try cleaning the gunk off of the end of it, and spray some WD40 through the cable housing, followed by some silicone or lithium lube. Worked for me.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate

Thanks a lot for the comments. I will go over that on the weekend.

However, the issue with the bike puttering and eventually dying after a couple of miles shouldnt be related to the choke cable, right? So it seems like this is only one part of the problem. Would you suggest replacing the crankshaft positioning sensor as well?

Old 06-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Need more info on your bike. Any upgrades to exhaust or intake? Check your plugs yet? Backfire at all and if so...from the exhaust or the intake? Is it carbed or is it FI

Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate

As far as I know, everything is original on the bike. No upgrades, no modifications. Bike has 7700miles. I bought it at 4900miles. The first thing I did was to have a look at the plugs. They were black, thats all I can say. I cleaned them with a wire brush and adjusted the gap, which was not really far off. Plugs had been replaced at 1500 miles ago. Do they wear down that fast?

Time didnt allow me to have a look at the choke cable today. Hope I´ll get it done tomorrow.

Thanks
Alex

Old 06-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Probably running rich. Or running wth the enricher enabled. I'd remove the enchicher/choke cable. Make sure it's working properly. And make sure the enricher isn't stuck on,....on the carb side.

Plugs shouldn't go out at 1500 miles. But if your running with the choke cable engaged it'll shorten the life of your plugs.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate

Ok, so the plugs look definitely like its running to rich.

I removed the old choke cable today. It looked pretty messed up but not broken (old cable). Anyway, I replaced it with a new one and also put new plugs in but nothing really changed. I do have 2 Videos trying to start the bike. In the first one, I had the enrichener pulled out right away. After that, I started it without (which seemed to work better) and then tested if the choke does anything. It does but still, the bike wont run without my hand on the throttle. In both vids the bike died, I didnt switch it off.

So I dont really know whats wrong. Guess I need to find some place that fixed carbs. The dealership nearby doesnt have the equipment anymore, thats at least what they said.

video 1
video 2

Thanks
Alex

Old 06-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Another idea. When it's running spray some carb cleaner around the intake. Behind the carb between the two jugs. You could have an intake leak. If you spray and you notice a change in engine idle then you'll have your answer.

Could also try seafoaming your carb to try to clean the jets and whatnot.

Quick Reply: Carburetor cleaning? / choke cable replacement?