Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stiffer rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Baggyb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stiffer rear shocks

I am looking at changing the rear shocks on my 13 883R because I do a lot of trips with the Mrs and luggage on the bike and it can sometimes bottom out.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

RK air shocks, in this side of puddle you can get them for $50 a pair, slightly used or even new (coming off new heavy bikes during shocks upgrade.)

Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Just picked up Progressive 412 HD, and went 1/2" longer then stock.
They are very firm and at 210 lbs solo, they are set on the lightest pre-load. They corner and handle Houston concrete freeways great.
Hit 96 mph in a bend on the toll way this morning with confidence to spare. Also have Progressive fork springs installed.
The wife is only about 105 lbs soaking wet so I doubt if I have to bump these up more then a notch or two with her on the back.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Baggyb
Advanced

Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Baggyb
Advanced

Could you please let me know what the stock length is?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Roadster should be 13". But you can measure it.
A buddy of mine has Progressive rear. He says my air ride is better. He might be right, there is no better spring than air.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggyb
Could you please let me know what the stock length is?

Thanks
European spec bikes are different then US models. Measure from center eye bolt to center eye bolt to get your length.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Layzie
Cruiser

Im on 412 HD and really like them, I don't ride anyone on the back but my fender is close to the tire so I didn't want to bottom out.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Baggyb
I am looking at changing the rear shocks on my 13 883R because I do a lot of trips with the Mrs and luggage on the bike and it can sometimes bottom out.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Thanks
Hello old chap. Take care with shocks, as many who comment don't mention if they routinely carry a passenger. The added weight, plus comfort, are quite different when carrying the most important passenger in the World, also she has quite a different riding experience back there.

You have access to Hagons, just a short distance from home. I have their stock shocks on my Sporty, but would suggest considering their Nitro gas shocks. Give them a call for advice, you will find they recommend around 13" minimum, but will supply suitable springs.

As for your comment about needing stiffer shocks, what you actually need are shocks with decent damping! You won't get that with cheap shocks and to be blunt my Hagons are better than stock, but not by a great deal, which I suspect your Mrs B would really like. I have Ohlins on my Glide.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Baggyb
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hello old chap. Take care with shocks, as many who comment don't mention if they routinely carry a passenger. The added weight, plus comfort, are quite different when carrying the most important passenger in the World, also she has quite a different riding experience back there.

You have access to Hagons, just a short distance from home. I have their stock shocks on my Sporty, but would suggest considering their Nitro gas shocks. Give them a call for advice, you will find they recommend around 13" minimum, but will supply suitable springs.

As for your comment about needing stiffer shocks, what you actually need are shocks with decent damping! You won't get that with cheap shocks and to be blunt my Hagons are better than stock, but not by a great deal, which I suspect your Mrs B would really like. I have Ohlins on my Glide.
Thanks mate, much appreciated

Quick Reply: stiffer rear shocks