Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spend My Suspension Upgrade $$

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:18 PM
alienbogey
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Spend My Suspension Upgrade $$

My bike: 2007 1200C. Stage I upgrades so far.

Me: 205# outta the shower

Riding style: 95% solo since my wife got her own bike. I like to ride speed limit plus a reasonable amount, but I'm over being invincible on a crotch rocket, which is why I'm on a Sporty now. There are hundreds of miles of wonderful twisties around here, and I want to be smoothly, comfortably SL+10 or so through the esses, without the suspension jarringly bottoming out as it does now in the bumps.

Budget: $1K-$2K, or more if I can be convinced that the extra $$ is worth it.

Look: Not nearly as important as performance, but I've embraced the chrome on my Custom, so given equal performance I'll pick the bling.

Install: I hope/plan to do it myself. Advice appreciated there, too.

Bottom line: I want to do it right the first time in a coordinated front and rear suspension upgrade package that won't need to be upgraded later.

I've read threads until my eyes bled and it's kind of all a mishmash in my head right now. Thoughts so far:

• Again, I want to coordinate the front and rear upgrades to complement each other. Good idea to go with components from one company (Ricor comes to mind), or is mix & match for a better result?

• I've lost some of my bookmarks, but I came across a premium rear shock with a kind of secondary external reservoir (?) that for the life of me I can't find again.

• The Ricor Intiminator makes a good case for inclusion in my upgrade, but I can't tell if that is in place of upgraded fork springs, or in addition to them.

• Front fork brace: part of the upgrade package?

Need a suspension guru who can put it all together and explain it for the meanest understanding.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Shocks: your budget will allow you to buy top shelf Ohlins - call Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal and mention HDF - he gives discounts IIRC! Scroll down for a link on the right of the screen.

Forks: as a minimum change springs to single-rate, matched to your weight from Race Tech (possibly others). With sag set correct your bike will ride a little higher at the front and give you more travel. Intiminators and Emulators (different brands) are damper devices that claim to improve ride quality. I have Emulators and don't rate them, however have seen good reports on Intiminators. They can be added along with new springs.

Tyres: change to an aftermarket brand to get improved ride quality, grip and handling.

Last edited by grbrown; 05-22-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

As Mr Brown says, buy Ohlins shocks. You won't find better. You don't need the $2000 pair, but the +/-$1000 pair is unmatched for road riding.

New springs and emulators are good, not great, but good.

Quality cartridge fork inserts are better. Not best, but better. About another $1000 (Ohlins or others, but not Progressive)

Race-ready upside down forks are best. They need a new triple-tree. $4000+ all in. Probably overkill since your chassis is not stiff enough to be a superb handling machine. Also, your riding habits don't justify this setup.

If I had $2000 to spend on suspension, I'd have Ohlins shocks and cartridges.

Gordon is absolutely right about tires too.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Ohlins base shocks 145E on my Sporty 48. I don't break the speed limit, but do highway cruise at 70 mph on average. It did take me a while to get the right sag setting, but man....they rock. It's not Road Glide smooth but a Sporty will never get that smooth :-) This rear shock set will cost you less than $1,000. My front drop in springs are Progressives....ok, better than stock, but not the best. Like others have said, a full cartridge setup will be better. This should run you about $500. So basically for $1,500 you're golden �� The way you describe the way you ride, you will be VERY happy with this setup. I agree with changing tires too. I personally just ordered some Metzlers.

Last edited by sroc3; 05-21-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

It's far better to setup the suspension to your weight/riding style than it is to just drop money on a new setup. I can get $300 cushions to perform better than $1k top shelf parts if given the right spring rates and valve code. Make sure whoever you buy from is willing to respring/revalve the shocks.

The forks are a compromise at best unless you get a cartridge setup. Then the same thing applies to setup as it does with rear cushion. If you don't want cartridges, I recommend Race Tech emulators.

I would much rather ride stock suspension well setup than have $1k parts that are not the right spring rates and damping force.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 05-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Fantome
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Ricor parts. I have Ohlins on my sport bike (love 'em) and Ricor IAS shocks/Intiminators/RaceTech fork springs on my Sportster (love 'em).

I have an extra set of IAS shocks (13") laying around of you're interested.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 PM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of bang for your buck and the Road King air shock upgrade is a big bang for your buck upgrade in my mind. Just got done doing the install on my 08 1200C. Does raise the back about an 1" but this is how it looks without lowering blocks. I want to add the lowering blocks and change the front shocks.

Last edited by charger426; 05-23-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 AM
alienbogey
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions.

Tires - Yes, upgrading the tires is absolutely on the list, but with only 5,000 miles on the OEMs I figure that can wait while I upgrade the suspension front and back. Putting it another way, the stock suspension is pissing me off, but the tires aren't.

Suspension: After lots more clicking I've been leaning towards Ricor because I'm thinking I could get an integrated package of rear shocks, front springs and Intimidator, all spec'd for my weight/riding. Also, they're USA made which is a factor for me.

HOWEVER, I emailed them a week ago with a detailed inquiry and have yet to hear back. That takes the wind out of the sails with regard to sending them a big wad of money.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts