Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 AM
fkstk181
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks, but won't start

Hello folks, been a while for me and yes I did a search before posting. Hoping someone can possibly suggest something I haven't tried yet before I just start buying parts to see "what works". I have a 2005 883xl. Bike right now cranks over but will not start. Last season bike ran fine. Did some mod's over the last few weeks. Swapped out mini-apes with 6 1/2" risers and replaced Arlen Ness Bicker Sucker with Force-winder. The risers forced me to extend the wiring harness for the tach/speedo combination. I cut, spliced, soldered and heat wrapped every wire one at a time to make sure I put wires back in same place, everything came on after I finished and checked (blinkers, etc)...so I don't think that is the issue, checked wiring schematics against manual just to be sure and it all looks good.

Here is what I have checked so far.

Spark is going to plugs, nice, strong and blue, pulled plugs and they do not look fouled.
Pulled tank off just to make sure I was not pinching any wires and to check to make sure I didn't jostle any other connections loose and to try my best to make sure there were not bare wires exposed and shorting anything out. Also checked wiring harness to make sure connecters didn't loosen and were all still seated correctly from previous wiring.

Yes the gas is on, and I pulled line and turned petcock on to make sure it was flowing. I may still pull filter out just to double check. I am also going outside now to drain the carb and then try to restart and drain again to make sure gas is getting to carburetor.

I did use new gas, however I guess it's possible there was some left over from last season, but would that cause only a crank, I would think I would get a rumble or hard start but who knows...

I did oil the new filter and let it sit for a day before I even tried to start the bike, is it possible though that oil got sucked in and that is causing it not to start? I should note I have been trying to start it now for about 6 days and nothing.

I did just replace the battery and it is putting out 12.7 volts.

I guess I am running out of ideas and once I check the filter and line I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I should also mention I did do a diagnostic code check and every one was "none" and there were no stored codes from previously.

Sorry it's so long, but I wanted to give as much info as I could as I have tried troubleshooting a lot before coming on here, just looking for a little guidance or something I may have missed. Thanks in advance. Scott

Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

To tell if you're getting fuel to the carb:
Remove the A/C, look into the carb throat and twist the throttle open. If you're getting fuel to the carb and the accelerator pump is working, you should see gas squirt into the throat from the brass tube that sticks up from the bottom of the throat with each (open) twist.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM
fkstk181
Cruiser

Thanks, cHarley, I just drained the carb and tried to restart and drained again and there is gas coming out a second time. Would you suggest I still try your way? Thanks, Scott.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Paulrobson
4th Gear

Hi, just a daft one. You've definitely got the plug leads going to the right pot from the coil?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:51 AM
fkstk181
Cruiser

Hey Paul, I welcome "ALL" suggestions but yes, I I have made sure that the wires are in the correct spot. Thanks, Scott.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:26 PM
fkstk181
Cruiser

Just a quick update, I used some starting fluid and it started right up, stayed on for about 5 seconds. Won't stay running though, I'm thinking fuel issue. As I said earlier, when I turn the petcock on it does look like it has a steady flow. Any thoughts on if I should bother checking the fuel filter or should I just go right to the carb? Maybe jets are clogged?

Old 05-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have a steady flow from the fuel line, skip the filter for now. Sounds more likely to be a carb issue. Check and clean the jets, float bowl, etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:24 PM
fkstk181
Cruiser

Hey Cool Inferno, I'm assuming it was the carb. Pulled off the bottom and nothing but green hardened sludge. Just spent the last hour cleaning bowl, pulled jets and cleaned those. Hooked it up to the tank without the jets and let some gas flow through it to make sure it all got cleaned out. I did notice that the little black rubber accelerator boot is all damaged as well so I am going to take a ride over to a local shop and see if they have any in stock and then put it all back together and see what happens.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Clean the jets good and use compressed air if you have access to it. A fine wire does wonder in cleaning out those small holes. Sometimes the smallest clog will create all kinds of problems.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:35 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

It's gonna sound kinda silly, but did you check the vacuum line on the back side of the petcock? I had the same issue after I buttoned up my 04 the other day and when I lifted the front of the tank to get to the turn signal plug I disconnected the vacuum line and it would crank but not start.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but won't start