Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch dragging

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 04:51 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch dragging

Seems my clutch has always been dragging just a bit. I put it up on blocks, started the engine, pulled clutch, then shifted into gear. With the clutch in the back tire spins. With the clutch still in, if I press the rear brake, the tire stops and stays stopped. However, if I let the clutch out, tire starts spinning, then pull the clutch back in, the tire stays spinning forever. The clutch never disengages the transmission.

I've felt that it just shifts too hard between gears as a result suspecting that the clutch never fully disengages.

The bike is about a year old, would this type of work be covered by the warranty? Is it normal?

Old 05-13-2015, 05:00 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Your clutch needs to be adjusted...if you don't know how - (1) get a service manual and follow the steps (pretty easy) or (2) take it in for service.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Your clutch needs to be adjusted...if you don't know how - (1) get a service manual and follow the steps (pretty easy) or (2) take it in for service.
Yep. Clutch adjustment. It won't be covered by warranty because it's a maintenance item, not a defect.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxtar
Seems my clutch has always been dragging just a bit. I put it up on blocks, started the engine, pulled clutch, then shifted into gear. With the clutch in the back tire spins. With the clutch still in, if I press the rear brake, the tire stops and stays stopped. However, if I let the clutch out, tire starts spinning, then pull the clutch back in, the tire stays spinning forever. The clutch never disengages the transmission.

I've felt that it just shifts too hard between gears as a result suspecting that the clutch never fully disengages.

The bike is about a year old, would this type of work be covered by the warranty? Is it normal?
This is completely normal for a wet clutch when the rear tire is off the ground. All wet clutches have some drag and the rear wheel will turn under this condition if it's off the ground. As long as the bike is not trying to move forward when you're sitting at a stop with the clutch in, it's fine.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
This is completely normal for a wet clutch when the rear tire is off the ground. All wet clutches have some drag and the rear wheel will turn under this condition if it's off the ground. As long as the bike is not trying to move forward when you're sitting at a stop with the clutch in, it's fine.
Exactly, very common with wet clutches. If it doesn't lurch forward with the clutch lever in while on the ground, it's fine as noted.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

If you want to check how much free play adjustment your clutch lever has, here is a good video on that.

As for the hard shifts, just about all Harleys shift hard between gears. Just make sure you are pulling the lever all the way in before you shift and get the timing right. Seen folks shift up at the same time they are starting to pull in the lever not giving enough time for the clutch to disengage.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Traxxtar
Cruiser

Thanks guys! I've done the service manual adjustment...twice. Perhaps there's nothing wrong at all. My first Harley and didn't see this behavior with my other bikes.

Thanks for all the info!!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Couple of thoughts.

Sometimes you gotta hold your tongue just right when adjusting the clutch...it's as much by "feel" as it by an objective measurement.

The other thing is, even though a wet clutch will continuously spin the rear tire when disengaged, a primary that is just a bit over-full will give that dragging feeling, and can make shifting a bit clunkier.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-13-2015, 11:53 PM
cripple
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into this when I put a full quart of oil in the primary. It's to much and makes for rough shifting and lots of dragging. I could coast through my neighborhood with the lever puled in and never stop. I use about 80% of the quart and I am golden.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:07 AM
Traxxtar
Cruiser

I haven't added any additional fluids since I purchased the bike last year. It's only a year old with about 3,000 miles. I'll keep that in mind though when I do the 5k service.

Thanks!!