Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying 2015 Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
mkole89
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying 2015 Iron 883

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and have tried looking through older posts for my answer but can't find it straight.

I have a 2015 Iron and looking to do some minor mods for now.. Vance & Hines Short Shots and Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage I air cleaner for starters.
I know this pairing will definitely require a tuner or ECM reflash. I've looked into a few, Screamin Eagle Street Tuner, Vance & Hines FuelPack, and a few others I've seen on these threads, but I'm having a tough time deciding between the different tuners and which would be best for this set up.
Anyone with a similar set up or more knowledge about which tuner would be best I would appreciate any input.
Thanks

*I've also head a lot of negative comments about dealerships or the Screamin Eagle tuner tuning the bike too lean and potentially causing damage..anyone have experience having an HD dealer do the tuning or am I better off doing it myself.*

Last edited by mkole89; 05-11-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 PM
jackddg22
Road Captain

Received 233 Likes on 113 Posts

power vision works for me

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't have one but for the Sportsters I've heard that the power vision is the way to go. This recommendation was from a tuner that works on the dynos full time.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Jerseyshore
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Mods

I have a 14" Iron and installed V&H Short Shots and V&H Naked aire intake. I used the V&H FP3 and worked perfectly! you will def get comments on pros and cons of various fuel management systems but I can vouche for what I installed and the bike sounds Great!

Attached Thumbnails Modifying 2015 Iron 883-sportster.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

What's your budget for a tuner? Check Fuel Moto for great prices and support.
www.fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM
sroc3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to be ECU Tuning season :-)

First off, DO NOT get the "stage 1 dealer download" - it's the biggest waste of money ever (I did not knowing any better, and got nothing out of it).

If you know you're only doing bolt-on parts and not throwing on any "hardcore" engine upgrades - I.e. Cams, port polish, etc...you technically will not need to fiddle with timing so focus on fuel management. The Power Commander is supposed to be amazing but if you don't need that I would go a different, more cost effective, purposeful route.

I have the Fuel Moto Micro Tuner - it's awesome. They have great customer service and have specific maps you can get for free that are specific to your modifications. For $199 it's a great mod and will make your bike run cooler, faster and have more power.

Welcome and have fun with modding your bike!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding of the dealer download is that all it does it take the AFR back to the normal lean factory settings in the ECM (buy changing timing, etc)? This is because adding the stage 1 upgrades of pipes/AC will lean the bike out more than the Factory mandated EPA settings. Harley cannot legally change the ECM settings to the stock ECM richer than the EPA settings (can only adjust them back). Again, this is my assumption as to why people say it is not worth spending the money on the download.

That being said, the stock EPA settings while lean (the 2014/2015 Sportster AFRs are leaner than the previous years I am told) will not cause your bike to blow up or your bike to be damaged as long as you are back to the factory settings. So, while the Harley download is nowhere a performance increase, it will take your modified bike back to "stock" (which defeats the purpose of your mods...correct?). You can ride your Sportster until doomsday and it will be fine. BUT you are not taking advantage of the potential improvements available by going to a tuner of some sort. My 2014 48 is stock. I am completely satisfied with the bike's performance for my style of riding. I decided that this time (out of 10 Harleys I have now owned) that I am not going to go through the stage 1 or more route. Changes to my 48 are more for comfort and aesthetics.

So while the Harley download will put you back to factory EPA mandated settings with your mods (and the bike will be fine), you are not getting anything to help with your stage 1 upgrades so far. Get a tuner.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:09 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Welcome to the forums first of all

Not sure what you have considered yet but, Devin and Kevin both use the Power Vision and are 100% satisfied with it. One of the great things about the Power Vision is it is delivered to you with a Custom Map, for Your Bike, already installed in it. You can plug it in, load the new tune into your bike, unplug it, and be riding with the New Tune in 5 minutes. The PV also has the auto tune feature which comes in handy!

However, i would try and go with a Free Flowing Air Cleaner like the Outlaw 587 or the 636v, these Air Cleaners will allow you to vent externally, this way all of the hot, dry, oily air doesn't get back in. The good thing is even of you decide you like the look of the Arlen Ness Big Sucker better, you can still vent externally by using a Hose Style Set Up.

These pictures are of a Twin Cam engine, but will be the same concept for your sportster.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg