Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High capacity fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 AM
00SportsterGuy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Most petcocks are adjustable as to their pickup height in the tank, have you tried adjusting it?

FYI and contrary to posts above, the 4.5 gal OEM tanks used on the rubbermount C model 04 and up Sporties will not fit 03 and earlier Sporties, the frame is totally different.

As a note, the 04-06 Sporties were carb bikes and the 4.5 gal tanks for those do have a petcock, not a fuel pump.
Thank you for the tips and info I'm going to try to add a picture of the tank I believe is on it now... If the pic works you'll see the "crescent" shape of the tank ,and the petcock sticking out of the underside (about midway through the tank).... And the only real difference between the orientation of the tank in the pic ,and the tank on my trike ,it is that the rear of my tank sits lower....

http://demonscy.ipower.com/i_pics/2_...njected005.jpg

Attached Thumbnails High capacity fuel tank-2_inch_stretched_sporster_gas_tank_07_up_fuel_injected005.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM
00SportsterGuy
Novice

[QUOTE=Copytech;13980218]You could just get the fuel pickup moved in the tank. though it will require a respray of the tank.
Btw I don't think I would go back to that shop, They should have been able to make the first tank work. I would also think that they would use something like alcohol to check the usable capacity of the tank before paint. That way they could have moved the petcock if needed.[/QUOT

I put up a pic of the tank... I think it could be raised higher in the rear ,but then it would be losing usable gas in the front... Your idea of moving the petcock from midway through the tank to maybe closer to the front corner is exactly what the guy at another bike shop told me yesterday morning...

I stopped in at the second shop right after it ran out of gas for the second time in two days... I was convinced it was vapor locking ,maybe due to the fact that I was using my old cap on a new aftermarket tank... We were brainstorming ,and the guy says "Let me go look at your tank".. 30 seconds later he says "Look how your tank is mounted and where your petcock sits. You've probably got a good gallon of unusable gas laying in the bottom front of the tank ,and another half gallon laying in the bottom rear. That's why your 4 gallon tank runs out after only 2.25 gallons."

Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
00SportsterGuy
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've recently adapted an EFI tank to fit my Glide. The golden rule when installing non-stock parts is to prove it will work before actually modifying anything. I had several issues to overcome (using a 6 gallon 2009 tank on a 1990 bike), all of which took up my time and effort, but cost me very little cash. Only when I had solved everything did I get it painted, buy a new petcock, plus all the other parts I needed.

Unfortunately it sounds as if the shop you used did everything wrong! You do IMHO have grounds to ask for at least some of your money back, although best luck with that! They must be short of work if they can mess you around like that.
The more I read and search here ,the more I want to unbox the first tank that was given back to me... Maybe it just didn't suit the shop ,but will look fine to me... I never saw the first tank... It was shipped to the shop ,and they called me after they tried to mount it (but didn't like the look and fit of it)...

Maybe I can use the first tank ,and do my best to get something back on the tank they assured me was just what I needed...

Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

One example, found with a Google for "Sportster FATBOB GAS TANK":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAUGHCO-Fatb...-/201113685931
I don't understand why a shop wouldn't insist that a tank be pressure tested, dry fitted and painted before mounting. Where are you? Find a better outfit to work on your ****.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Not to hijack, but will the 6 gal tank referenced earlier fir a carb'd 2000 Heritage ?

Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Carlos G Godfrog
Not to hijack, but will the 6 gal tank referenced earlier fir a carb'd 2000 Heritage ?
If your bike has a tank-mounted speedo then no, the one I used was off a Road Glide, however a Road King tank may fit. A US gallon is almost exactly a 6" cube, which Harley has cleverly squeezed into a tank very similar to the old 5 gallon touring tanks. It is a similar width, but has a flatter bottom and is a little longer - also it has a humped top. Take a measuring tape to your local Harley dealer and measure one up! I got mine on Ebay for around $100 with a showroom dent, easily removed.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM
00SportsterGuy
Novice

Update on my predicament...

The shop called me today and said they just cannot get the tank to a point where the majority of the fuel is usable.. New mounting brackets did not do it.... And moving the petcock will only improve things minimally...

So they are refunding me my money ,and they have ordered a 5 gallon softail tank in its place....

Here's hoping the replacement fits ,and gets me to that magic 100 miles between fill ups mark )

Thanks again everyone ,for the tips ,and for hanging in there with me...