Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that actually wear helmets..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
BentZero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that actually wear helmets..

What kind of helmet do you have? Being a sport bike rider I've currently got a full face helmet, but I'm thinking that's not the way to go on a Harley. Does the brain bucket offer enough protection to be worthwhile or should I go with a 3/4 helmet?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
fkstk181
Cruiser
Default RE: For those that actually wear helmets..

I have a carbon fiber from http://carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm, very nice, very low profile, it is DOT approved, no mushroom head but it is pricey. I also have one from NEXL, lightweight, very nice helmet, pricey as well, and is a little bigger than the carbon fiber, both are half helmets. By far the lowest profile helmets out there that are DOT approved.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:37 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a full face helmet from the HD dealer when I got my bike.
My Sporty doesn't have a windshield and I wear glasses so I need the visor to fullfill safety **** requirements for getting on the base where I work.
Contacts, goggles and a skull cap are in the future for me but not the immediate future.

OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

As with any issue dealing with a comfort level dealing with any personal protection issue, that's a question only you can answer..

I'm comfortable not wearing any helmet, and haven't worn one in 35+ years, others are comfortable wearing a full face helmet, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Everyone will have their own personal opinion, and opinions will vary.

Only you can decide what type of helmet you need.

bmkshort
Cruiser

I have the HD Ultra Jet 3/4 helmet. I know most who do wear helmets have the 1/2 style, but I could'nt find one to fit my melon justright.I like this helmet because it has the flip-up face shield since I don't ride with a windshield. I think its a good compromise between looks and protection for the o'le noggin.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
badbs101
Road Master

I have both a full face helmet and a mushroom head helmet depending on the outside temp and a baseball cap turned backwards for the really hot days.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:43 AM
upnarms
Intermediate

[8D]I originally purchaced a kevlar half helmet which is super light and easy to wear and found I needed goggles on higher speed runs. My eyes were bothered. I bought a full face and find it helped end the eye problem. Cost wise it was expensive, I also wear glasses and the wind was a problem. To do over I would have gone with a full face but I enjoy the feel of the half and wear it if I,m on city streets. Remember too, if you like bugs in your teeth, don't get the full!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whether you ride a sport bike or a Harley it should not change what your opinion isregarding the value of your head and the type of protection you do or don't want to afford it.

I wear a full face Nolan with the flip up chin bar most of the season and always on trips. In the extreme heat of summer here in the desert I do compromise and wear a 1/2 helmet Shoei around town. I don't feel as comfortable (mentally) with the Shoei but alot more comfortable (physically).

Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM
BentZero
Cruiser

I guess the real solution would be to own all three types of helmets. It gets kind of cold down here in SC during the winter and pretty hot during the summer. I was just trying to see what people's opinions were. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a Harley Jet II 3/4 helmet, I get used to it. Many other riders think I look stupid but I don't care, it's my head, I had enough accident in the past and the helmet did save my head. By saying that doesn't mean the helmet will save your life, if you have bad luck, no matter what you have. You die, you die right?

Quick Reply: For those that actually wear helmets..