Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaking From Master Cylinder...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:03 AM
JBrooks271
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Leaking From Master Cylinder...

Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I just had a 10k service done at my local dealership, and since then there has been oil leaking from the master cylinder where the top goes on. I was just wondering if this was normal right after a service, will it go away, or do I need to take my bike back in and have it looked at. It's not much coming out, just enough to be noticeable after a ride. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Imagine it is brake fluid not oil, they proably filled it a bit too full,check the level of the fluid and also that the rubber gasket isn't torn or leaking. Brake fluid and paint don't play well together well.
If it is oil the only thing I can think of is the lubed the pivots on the hand controls and that wouldnt be a concern

Old 05-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Barrier
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. I cleaned the top of the Master, leak returned.
Upon finally checking fluid it turned out to be from the Oil Tank. I must have overfilled and it was leaking down to the top of the master. Removed some oil and the problem has not returned. This was two months ago.
Make sure whether it is Brake fluid or Engine oil.
Barrier

Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM
JBrooks271
Advanced

Yeah, it's brake fluid. I'm not thinking well this morning lol. I'm gonna give it a little longer w/ another ride or two before I decide whether I take it back to them or not to be looked at.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 PM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrooks271
Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I just had a 10k service done at my local dealership, and since then there has been oil leaking from the master cylinder where the top goes on. I was just wondering if this was normal right after a service, will it go away, or do I need to take my bike back in and have it looked at. It's not much coming out, just enough to be noticeable after a ride. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you talking the rear or front master cylinder? But yes, this is common. Never leaks until you do your first service and then it will. The dealer has seen this issue before...take it back and let them know. I think there is a tech bulletin on this (can't recall) now.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 PM
JBrooks271
Advanced

Originally Posted by subguy
Are you talking the rear or front master cylinder? But yes, this is common. Never leaks until you do your first service and then it will. The dealer has seen this issue before...take it back and let them know. I think there is a tech bulletin on this (can't recall) now.
It's the front master cylinder. Thanks, when I get a chance, I'll get it back to them to check it out. It's not leaking bad or anything, it's kind of just there after a ride.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Not trying to hijack...bUt....What's the fix for this. After a fluid exchange mine is doing the same thing.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Yup my guess is overfilled. It can happen on front and rear. How do i know. I've overfilled mine before.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 PM
JBrooks271
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Yup my guess is overfilled. It can happen on front and rear. How do i know. I've overfilled mine before.
That was my first thought, I just figured it's overfilled. That's why I say if it doesn't stop soon, I'll go ahead and take it back in.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

check your fluid levels remove top. clean contacts retighen to spec.

dealer guy.. take it back and tell them to get it right before you ruin your paint. that stuff will eat up your finish

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking From Master Cylinder...