Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used bike, maintenance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Joeltayl77
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used bike, maintenance??

There's a 2013 48, stock with only 250miles. Bought new in August 2013. The seller has never done any maintenance on it because of the low mileage and low use.
This bike should be ok, right?
Anything you recommend me doing once I get it in terms of maintenance, if any?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM
tonydig11
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a 2011 48 with 120 miles. So same situation. I changed oil and filter just so I know it was fresh. I am now goin to follow the normal maintenance schedule per the book.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Check the tire pressures right away, could be low just sitting that much and tire pressure really affects handling and tire wear. I'd check the oil levels, and change the oil at 1000 miles, with 250 miles it shouldn't be dirty, and any moisture will cook out with an hour's ride, and do the usual first 1000 mile check, like checking primary chain tension, belt tension, loose screws, and the other stuff mentioned in the manual you'll find very handy to have if you do any of the maintenance yourself.

Sportsters are probably the most reliable air cooled Harleys ever made, and even if you skipped half the recommended maintenance, would probably still do fine. There's a good chance the tires, front at least, will still look fine in 2019, but I'd replace them by then anyway, rubber hardens and loses traction; I don't like using them more than 5 years on street bikes. An issue a few of them have is the riveted plate in the clutch; after pulling mine and seeing loose (but not broken yet) rivets at about 30,000 miles on my 1200C, I think I'd put a replacement set of plates without the riveted one around 10,000 miles so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Not difficult for someone with a moderate amount of wrenching experience, but not a beginner job.

Almost anything you will do on your sporty is explained in youtube videos, just do a search, for example: Harley sportster oil change. You'll get several video choices. If you haven't changed oil on a Harley, I'd recommend doing that; not like a car where you just pull a plug out of the bottom. Browse a few, like belt tension, clutch plates, wheel alignment, and you'll get an idea of how your bike is put together and how difficult or easy it is to work on yourself.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

As stated above change the oil, tire pressure, fresh gas, charge the battery,and give it a through look over. Run a strong dose of Seafoam in the tank to help clean up the fuel system from sitting with old gas.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^^ Yup, I got my 2011 with 375 miles and first thing it needed was more air.

I changed the oils only because the bike had been sitting for more than a year.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

All good advice above. Fresh oil and gas wouldn't hurt. Gas that's been sitting for a long time goes bad and can clog up a few things. All are fixable. If it starts and runs smoothly that's a great sign.

Oops. Guzzi said it better while I was typing...see, good advice

Old 04-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

If it were my bike I'd change out all fluids. Oil. Primary and brake. Yes it might have low miles but the fluids also break down over time.

That way I know all the fluids are good.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
If it were my bike I'd change out all fluids. Oil. Primary and brake. Yes it might have low miles but the fluids also break down over time.

That way I know all the fluids are good.
Agreed. Always safer to just replace it than assume it's fine. And I wouldn't recommend Harley oil, either, there are much better choices out there. Many people will tell you the clunky shifts disappeared after switching to Mobil 1, Redline, AMSOIL, etc. Switching over to Mobil 1 from the Harley oil made a huge difference.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by starforbrian
Agreed. Always safer to just replace it than assume it's fine. And I wouldn't recommend Harley oil, either, there are much better choices out there. Many people will tell you the clunky shifts disappeared after switching to Mobil 1, Redline, AMSOIL, etc. Switching over to Mobil 1 from the Harley oil made a huge difference.
I use syn 3 in the oil bag and primary and it works for me. But I know everyone has there preference on oils.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM
jpbutler1983
Tourer

Welcome to the forum... and welcome to Harley Davidson. I am new here also. I found a dream steal (a bit older than yours) Got a 98 Sportster 883 hugger for 1500 bucks. Only has 8900 miles on it. I changed all the fluid except the brake fluid - haven't done that yet.

Sea foam is a dream. I had some sputtering even after I cleaned out the carbs and it's amazing. I also added some Marvel Mystery oil to the oil and the gas under a recommendation through someone on here and it hasn't proved to be a bad idea.

I cranked her for the first time in two years this past saturday and drove her around the neighborhood. It's awesome.

Quick Reply: Buying used bike, maintenance??