Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new smaller lithium ion battery vs. stock HD battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:43 PM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new smaller lithium ion battery vs. stock HD battery

Getting ready to relocate ecm on my sons 2007 1200c. I've been reading a lot of older threads where lithium ion batteries were used instead of stock. These companies claim they last longer are smaller and lighter, but Im skeptical. They cost more than stock or a drag specialties battery. I would like to get 5 years out of a battery like I used to but I think batteries have gotten worse. Seems like I'm buying a new one every 2-3 years. I'm wondering who's running the new lithium ion batteries and how there holding up? I'm thinking of going the same route since my battery is dying quickly. I like the thought of having that extra room for the ecm and pcv without having to cut up the battery tray, or let the cover hang off with zip ties, or mount under fender. This seems like an easy practical way since I need a new battery anyways, am I right or am I better off sticking with the old reliable stock battery and pulling out the old grinder to make the ecm fit?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Modern AGM batteries are much better than older styles. I just replaced the original H-D AGM battery in my 2007 Buell for the first time. I have a lithium battery in my Glide, but only because it is a custom installation and I wanted high CCA. I wouldn't bother using one on a near stock bike, at least until they cost no more than an AGM.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

They don't have to break the bank either. I've seen the battery tender brand on amazon for about $125.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
WiscoKid
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah price has gone down a little on the lithium batteries, I'm curious how they're holding up. Wondering if anyone has 5 years on one yet?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 AM
meepeep
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have experience with one of these yet on a Sporty? My buddy raved about their batteries after last winter with his old Triumph.

http://shoraipower.com/products?acti...54&year=222754

Old 04-17-2015, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by WiscoKid
Yeah price has gone down a little on the lithium batteries, I'm curious how they're holding up. Wondering if anyone has 5 years on one yet?
I'm not sure they have been around on the open market for that long yet! For a reliable and affordable battery the AGM type are the most suitable for us at present IMHO.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A failing battery on a Sportster has more to do with the temperatures that it has to cope with than the quality of the battery. The location in the Sporty makes them getting warmer than on other models.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Well, I've got a new Shorai (LFX24A3-BS12) on the way, going to put in my 1991. My conventional lead/acid battery (over 6 years old) is on the way out and weighs over 13 pounds! The Shorai weighs around 3 pounds. Since my battery tray mount/oil tank can have an oil leak issue, I figure shaving off 10 pounds is worth it as preventive maintenance. Plus, pulling the battery every month to check water levels gets to be a pain in the ***. It often needs some water added, so it's something I always have to be concerned with.

Hopefully, the Shorai will solve both these issues, no maintenance and less strain on my battery mount. And, it's the size of the stock battery, so it does not look jury-rigged with foam spacers and other ugly ****. My model has the exposed battery, so form factor is important too. Another bonus is that when my bike is "off," there is zero current draw, one nice thing about older bikes, so no tender necessary with the Shorai. Not that I've ever used one, anyway.

I'l report my experience with this battery for sure.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-17-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM
cripple
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meepeep
Anybody have experience with one of these yet on a Sporty? My buddy raved about their batteries after last winter with his old Triumph.

http://shoraipower.com/products?acti...54&year=222754
I use a Shorai, I don't remember what model though. It turned out to be the exact size as the stock but 10 pounds lighter. It has been in for a few years and has never failed me even in lower temps as in around 50 degrees.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

HD batteries are not exactly the old led-acid type, they are a gel but LI bike batteries is new to me.

I agree that they do not last as long as they once did. Average around 1.5 years, last one was 6 months! My previous bikes never had battery issues, just hop on and ride but I guess that is what makes Harley great!??!
I did add a charge meter to show the bike is charging, not the best but works well enough.

Quick Reply: new smaller lithium ion battery vs. stock HD battery