Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle delay and engine bog

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 AM
totalgeek
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle delay and engine bog

Ok I'm still breaking in my bike and I kept asking what the break-in period was, the sales person at the shop just said drive like you normally do, but don't go above 80 or rev the engine high. So I drove through town and on the highway (65 MPH Max). But now I got this weird throttle problem.

This only occurs sometimes not all the time, but when it does happen it seems to catch me off guard and I find myself catching myself from going through the windshield. I roll the throttle to accelerate, this only happens from a dead stop and in first, and it goes then seems to bog down for 1-3 seconds and then accelerate normally. I have a 2007 1200 Custom.

For lack of a better phrase is it F'd up? Do you think this has to do with the break-in method the sales rep told me? Or is it just my FI adjusting and still breaking in? I haven't even reached 500 miles yet.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:07 AM
tcsblues
Cruiser
Default RE: Throttle delay and engine bog

It should not do that.Take it to the Dealer.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: totalgeek

Ok I'm still breaking in my bike and I kept asking what the break-in period was, the sales person at the shop just said drive like you normally do, but don't go above 80 or rev the engine high. So I drove through town and on the highway (65 MPH Max). But now I got this weird throttle problem.

This only occurs sometimes not all the time, but when it does happen it seems to catch me off guard and I find myself catching myself from going through the windshield. I roll the throttle to accelerate, this only happens from a dead stop and in first, and it goes then seems to bog down for 1-3 seconds and then accelerate normally. I have a 2007 1200 Custom.

For lack of a better phrase is it F'd up? Do you think this has to do with the break-in method the sales rep told me? Or is it just my FI adjusting and still breaking in? I haven't even reached 500 miles yet.
Sounds like an ignition timing problem, but it could be an FI problem.[/align][/align]In the old days, one would say it wouldn't be a timing problem because if that were the case it would happen all of the time, not just some of the time (unless the R's were already high). But with today's computer controlled systems, computer-controlled irregularities do not work like mechanically-controlled irregularities. If the R's are already high, however, then it wouldn't be as noticeable, because then the engine will run better anyway with advanced timing. You say it only happens at low R's.Does it ever ping at all, too? timing advanced too far will also cause this.[/align][/align]Usually if an enginehesitates when you accelerate, then suddenly zooms off, and it's a timing problem, that usually meant that the timing was too far advanced.[/align][/align]I'm not real familiar with FI, being 'old school' like I am and having 'grown up' mechanically with carburetors, but if it's electronic FI, then maybe there's a glitch in that as well; I don't know. [/align][/align]This is one reason I don't ever plan on ever having a fuel injected cycle, if I can help it. Just imagine an electronic problem while you're trying to pass someone or something, or you're making a turn in front of oncoming traffic.[/align][/align]Give me a carb any day over FI.[/align][/align]I still haven't got used to my '97 FI GMC pickup, and it ticks me off that I can't lower the idle on it (it's all computer controlled).[/align]

Old 04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
totalgeek
Advanced

Thanks, everyone for the input. To answer some questions no pinging. It just acts as if I throttle it, it accelerates normally for a bit, then the engine bogs and power is lost, then it goes back to normal acceleration.

Since its still under factory warranty I'm going to bring it back in for inspection. I just wanted to see if anyone expeirenced this during break-in.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
badbs101
Road Master

It happens to mine when I am low on fuel.

If I try to stretch a tank out for over 120 miles or so (3.3 gal tank) the fuel tends to slosh back in the tank when accelerating and the engine briefly cuts out. It's happened to me on two separate occasions and both times were when the tank was dangerously low on fuel. I don't think its good to run a fuel injected bike low on fuel either.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I roll the throttle to accelerate, this only happens from a dead stop and in first, and it goes then seems to bog down for 1-3 seconds and then accelerate normally. I have a 2007 1200 Custom.
I hate to tell you this, but it's probably normal for a sportster. You can't just let the clutch out quickly on a sportster in FIRST gear. They have tall gearing and the engine will bog down. Try feathering the clutch from first gear until you are over 10 mph and the engage it fully. See if that doesn't stop the bogging. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch in the other gears if you shift at proper speeds.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

I roll the throttle to accelerate, this only happens from a dead stop and in first, and it goes then seems to bog down for 1-3 seconds and then accelerate normally. I have a 2007 1200 Custom.
I hate to tell you this, but it's probably normal for a sportster. You can't just let the clutch out quickly on a sportster in FIRST gear. They have tall gearing and the engine will bog down. Try feathering the clutch from first gear until you are over 10 mph and the engage it fully. See if that doesn't stop the bogging. You shouldn't have to feather the clutch in the other gears if you shift at proper speeds.
That might be the case with a 1200, but I don't have any problems just letting the clutch out in first gear on my 883. Only time I have to "feather" the clutch is when riding in a parade, or funeral procession, something like that where the speed sometimes is at a crawl.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: totalgeek

Thanks, everyone for the input. To answer some questions no pinging. It just acts as if I throttle it, it accelerates normally for a bit, then the engine bogs and power is lost, then it goes back to normal acceleration.

Since its still under factory warranty I'm going to bring it back in for inspection. I just wanted to see if anyone expeirenced this during break-in.

[/align]Does it do it with the enrichner **** out? Do EFI's even still have enrichner *****?[/align][/align][/align]Try it in the morning with the enrichner **** party out (if you have one ). If that seems to help, then it would be looking more and more like a lack of fuel problem. [/align][/align]With you saying that it only happens in first gear from idle to acceleration tends to make me wonder if it's some type of idle emission set up problem, with some type of flat spot having developed from a setting being slightly off. It's possible that Harley has some type of computer controlled idle/low speed emission set up in their EFI's that leans the fuel down at idle/low speed in your EFI, and that it's just not delivering enough fuel to the bike as quickly as it should when you try to accelerate from idle.[/align][/align]This is just a theory of mine, but such a thing wouldn't surprise me in this day and age of computer controlled everything on these type of systems these days.[/align][/align]I don't know, but I just don't like having my 'fate' on a Harley or anything else resting on some type of computer chip manufactured in Taiwan or whatever. I had a hard enough time accepting electronic ignition.[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

On my 1200 I need to roll on a little throttle and then feather out the clutch as I continue rolling in more throttle from a dead stop. The 1200 has a taller 1st gear than the 883.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 PM
MikesDad
Cruiser

Yep, 1200's are geared totaly different than 883's.

Quick Reply: Throttle delay and engine bog