Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 or the whole 3 quarts of oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:16 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
Dang, I would have thought some one by now would know just how much oil it actually takes to get it half way on the dip stick. I will know that when I change my oil. And after that thats how much I will put in each time.
It will vary by how much actually gets drained. Not everyone drains to the last drip. On rubber-mounted SPORTSTERS I average 2.5 quarts to get the oil halfway between the full and add mark. However, sometimes I put in more and sometimes less. The point being, most people don't put in a certain amount of oil and then call it a day (without riding and then checking the level again). You could, but...

I usually add 2 quarts. Ride the bike a short distance, come back and check the level. Usually as stated, I have to add .5 quarts then. Why do most Sportster riders fill to only half-way between the low and full mark? Experience has shown that more oil will usually cause blow-by into the air filter and oil will drip out and into the carb/throttle body and I also believe that a full oil level contributes to rocker gasket leaks (myself). However, if you are filling to the hot full line and not experiencing oil blow-by then go ahead and fill to the full mark. My two rubber-mounted sportsters, would blow oil if I went to the full mark.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I will change oil when it is hot, at the same place in the garage with the bike at the same angle. I will let the bike drain for the same amount of time every time. If that don't give me the correct amount of oil to put back in them there is some witchcraft going on. And I have been changing oil in vehicles and cars since 1960.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
subguy
Road Master

Dang, I would have thought some one by now would know just how much oil it actually takes to get it half way on the dip stick. I will know that when I change my oil. And after that thats how much I will put in each time.

I will change oil when it is hot, at the same place in the garage with the bike at the same angle. I will let the bike drain for the same amount of time every time. If that don't give me the correct amount of oil to put back in them there is some witchcraft going on. And I have been changing oil in vehicles and cars since 1960.

Then you answered your own question, you should be putting the exact same amount in each time...for me...2.5 quarts is "usually it"...

Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I havn't answered the question yet. The oil was changed at the dealer the first time at the 1000 mile service. I am comming up on the 2nd oil change which I will do. I was just wondering what every one else had already found out to save me some time but I guess that was too tough a question. I'm sorry I even asked it. I will find out when I do my 1st oil change. Sorry for any confufion.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Just remember, its a hell of a lot easier to add some more oil, than it is to remove it if you use too much.

You've been given sound advice here by people that have been doing it for years, but its your bike, do it anyway you want.

Last edited by cHarley; 04-13-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
subguy
Road Master

I havn't answered the question yet. The oil was changed at the dealer the first time at the 1000 mile service. I am comming up on the 2nd oil change which I will do. I was just wondering what every one else had already found out to save me some time but I guess that was too tough a question. I'm sorry I even asked it. I will find out when I do my 1st oil change. Sorry for any confufion.

I'm sorry...I thought you had changed your oil before...my misunderstanding. I missed that this would be the first time on your new bike....so you should know...my bad.

Anyway, I would assumed 2.5 quarts is the norm for most. The key is to put in less (around 2 qts) the first time. Ride the bike, get it warm and then add more oil. That will give you your baseline from then on. I have
put up to 2.8 quarts though on a couple of occasions. Depends on if I change the oil while it is straight up and down (on a lift) or on the side stand. I don't always change it when it is warm (sometimes just cold), so for me it will vary some, but 2.5 quarts is the average for me on the side stand when the oil is warm.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Texa$
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been putting 4qts in mine. Are you guys draining from the tube and the plug underneath? There are 2 connected sumps in a Sportster (tranny and engine) and only draining one hole does not change all of the oil. At then end of a change I will let a little oil out of the tube to clear any air and then good to go. I tried putting in only 3 but it wasn't even up to the dipstick.

/2012 1200c
/maybe I am crazy?

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Texa$
I have been putting 4qts in mine. Are you guys draining from the tube and the plug underneath? There are 2 connected sumps in a Sportster (tranny and engine) and only draining one hole does not change all of the oil. At then end of a change I will let a little oil out of the tube to clear any air and then good to go. I tried putting in only 3 but it wasn't even up to the dipstick.

/2012 1200c
/maybe I am crazy?
Ummmmm.............no. Ill just leave it at that

Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Texa$
I have been putting 4qts in mine. Are you guys draining from the tube and the plug underneath? There are 2 separate sumps in a Sportster (tranny and engine) and only draining one hole does not change all of the oil. At then end of a change I will let a little oil out of the tube to clear any air and then good to go. I tried putting in only 3 but it wasn't even up to the dipstick.

/2012 1200c
/maybe I am crazy?
Corrected it for you.
The primary/tranny is 1 sump and takes 1 quart.
The motor is a separate sump and takes around 2.75 quarts.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

well heck , you could have done that at the beginning instead of giving everyone a chance to tell you "how I do it !"

But what would the posters do without asking the 100,004th oil question,
and getting to "keyboard "

Quick Reply: 2.8 or the whole 3 quarts of oil