Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons are POPPING

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015 | 10:39 AM
Milkman424m
|
Intermediate
Default Slip ons are POPPING

so my new bike has 122 miles on it. I threw some vance and Hines straight shots on it at 19 miles. Anyhow, it pops very loud when Decel, would a fuel pack fix this problem or would I be better off going to the dealer and getting it put on the dyno???

Old 04-03-2015 | 10:47 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

13 Heritage here. I had put the same muffs on mine at 75 miles and guess what.........pop pop pop. Hated it. Tried couple things including tightening the clamps. Still pop pop pop.
So now I have uploaded a tune (flashed the ECM) myself using the Vance and Hines Fuelpak3. It's easy and allows for autotune if you so desire. So anyway, no pop pop pop anymore!
I have since added the Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage II air cleaner. Bike runs great.
So yes, some short of fuel management would be what you need with the Straight shots.

Old 04-03-2015 | 10:48 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser

Stock mufflers pop too you just cant hear it as much or at all because of the baffles. With straight shots on there you're obviously going to hear everything. A fuel pak or stage 1 download should help, but if you have the means you might just want to go get it on a dyno to get everything you can out of your bike and your current set up

Old 04-03-2015 | 11:11 AM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain

general rule of thumb is with a full exhaust tuning is required. there are a lot of options for this though..

if you would have just done slip-on mufflers the poping wouldn't be so bad, I have the full Vnce & hines big shots as well with a tuned carb and I still have just an occasional pop, but I don't mind it at all.

Old 04-03-2015 | 11:29 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

I have V&H slip ons too, and they popped like a bitch. Tried the XIEDs and they still popped badly.
Bought the Fuel Motor Micro EFI for $200 and still had some minor popping. Fuel Moto sent a new map, no more popping and the bike runs like a raped ape.
The FM is easy to install yourself, total time less then a hour.

Old 04-03-2015 | 01:57 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guzzi
I have V&H slip ons too, and they popped like a bitch. Tried the XIEDs and they still popped badly.
Bought the Fuel Motor Micro EFI for $200 and still had some minor popping. Fuel Moto sent a new map, no more popping and the bike runs like a raped ape.
The FM is easy to install yourself, total time less then a hour.
Guzzi, I like the price point of the Fuel Moto Micro EFI. I currently have ViEDs for my Outlaw 587 and Rush Slip-ons. Works okay, but there is still minor decel popping and lag on the low end. I have not yet put enough miles for the ECM to adjust properly or adjusted the ViED, but if these do not work, will probably get a tuner.
Where is the unit installed. I see its about 3". Is it plug and play?

Old 04-03-2015 | 03:48 PM
Milkman424m
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
general rule of thumb is with a full exhaust tuning is required. there are a lot of options for this though..

if you would have just done slip-on mufflers the poping wouldn't be so bad, I have the full Vnce & hines big shots as well with a tuned carb and I still have just an occasional pop, but I don't mind it at all.

They are just slip ons which is why I didn't think I would need the fuel pak

Old 04-03-2015 | 04:09 PM
Milkman424m
|
Intermediate

So what tiner does everybody like? I've been looking at Vances and Hines fp3 they run around 350 most places. Fancy too with Bluetooth. Don't need all that!

Old 04-03-2015 | 05:08 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hscic
Guzzi, I like the price point of the Fuel Moto Micro EFI. I currently have ViEDs for my Outlaw 587 and Rush Slip-ons. Works okay, but there is still minor decel popping and lag on the low end. I have not yet put enough miles for the ECM to adjust properly or adjusted the ViED, but if these do not work, will probably get a tuner.
Where is the unit installed. I see its about 3". Is it plug and play?
The FM Micro plugs directly into the injectors, another wire taps into the Throttle Position Sensor, and one connects to the battery. Also O2 eliminators are used.
Mine is velcroed to the side of the battery. It's a very small compact unit.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/pdf/micro/FM-019.03.pdf

Last edited by Guzzi; 04-03-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2015 | 05:47 PM
Milkman424m
|
Intermediate

I just caved and ordered the FP3. Seems very simple and lots of good reviews about it. Now I'll probably end up buying an air intake kit

Quick Reply: Slip ons are POPPING