Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip ons are POPPING

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015 | 06:12 PM
cvaria
Supporter

My SE2s popped at first. Went away after i changed the air cleaner. Still pops every now and then, just lets me know im living right!

Old 04-05-2015 | 07:19 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Milkman424m
so my new bike has 122 miles on it. I threw some vance and Hines straight shots on it at 19 miles. Anyhow, it pops very loud when Decel, would a fuel pack fix this problem or would I be better off going to the dealer and getting it put on the dyno???
You may want to check for exhaust leaks first before you spend the $$ on fuel management. Just a thought....

Old 04-05-2015 | 08:26 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Originally Posted by hscic
You may want to check for exhaust leaks first before you spend the $$ on fuel management. Just a thought....
Exactly. Did you use new clamps? They are designed for one time use. I'm guilty for using used clamps before and paid the price. You can tune all you want, but it will only be covering up the problem instead of fixing it if you have an exhaust leak. Also make sure they are torqued down to spec.

Old 04-05-2015 | 08:31 PM
PSU
Road Master

Get a Vance & Hines Fuelpack FP3.

I love mine.

No more backfiring upon deceleration.

Old 04-05-2015 | 09:01 PM
partlowr
Cruiser

I installed straight shot slip-ons on my Seventy-two and it popped bad on decel. After about twenty miles of riding the computer self adjusted a little bit and the popping got a little better but it was still not right. This past weekend I installed a velociraptor intake and a vance and hines fuelpak and the thing runs like a beast. Smooth through every part of the power curve and zero popping on decel. My friend has a Dyna with a little work and he was raping me from stoplights before the intake and fuelpak but yesterday when we lined up he was just barely pulling me and beleive it or not once we got up over 90mph I was actually reeling him back in slowly. I am sold on the V&H Fuelpak.

Old 04-05-2015 | 09:27 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser

I'm a firm believer in always tuning bikes when upgrading the exhaust and/or intake. You shouldn't experience hardly any popping if at all once the bike is fully warmed up. I'd say 20 or 30 minutes to warm up all the way in 75* weather. Another culprit is intake leaks but I doubt it since your bike is brand new.

Old 04-07-2015 | 06:55 AM
Milkman424m
|
Intermediate

I went back and tightened the clamps a little more. It actually did help some, but still some popping. Tuner should arrive today, and will be all set.

Old 04-07-2015 | 10:51 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Milkman424m
I went back and tightened the clamps a little more. It actually did help some, but still some popping. Tuner should arrive today, and will be all set.
Also check the flange (the connection of the head pipes to the cylinder. Can't go wrong with a tuner. Ride safe!

Old 04-07-2015 | 11:03 AM
Cool Inferno
Road Master

Not sure what sportster you have or year and if your model has a crossover pipe or not. If you do have a crossover pipe, did you put new crossover gaskets on? Those gaskets bend and deform easy. Remember as I said before the clamps are one time use. Don't matter if it was a new bike or not. Once the clamp mushrooms its done. Do yourself a favor and just change them before tuning if you want it to perform properly.

Old 04-07-2015 | 10:25 PM
nucklehead13
Advanced

There is one straight pipe trick that I used back when my ride still had them. There is a part one slides in the exhaust pipes that has fingers. I just bolted it in place. One can decide how many of them fingers are needed pointing in. They all do not have to be. This trick is used to give some back pressure to the exhaust. I give up on that trick when I got a S and S super E which needed mufflers.

Quick Reply: Slip ons are POPPING