Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Sportster purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM
csaari77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Sportster purchase advice

I recently got the green light from my better half to get another bike (lucky me!). I have been kicking around the idea of trying to find a used Sportster for a project bike. My problem is that I'm on a shoe string budget. Where is the best place to find a solid bike on the cheap? I know I can cruise Craigslist like a maniac, but I'm kind of leery of all the scammers that populate that site. I'm also not against traveling a bit to get the right bike. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in a advance. Hopefully I'll be around this section of the forum a bit more.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:08 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

You cant ignore CL if you are looking for a deal. I am not sure what you exactly mean by scammers. You either know how to inspect the bike yourself or take it to have it done by someone else.

Scammers are everywhere. It's not like they populate CL specially.

Create a free Yahoo email just for your search online. If that's the other type of scam you are worried about.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM
csaari77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not ignoring CL by any means. I've been searching multiple cities around me pretty religiously. I've got a decent handle on inspecting a bike, but driving a few hundred miles to come back empty handed also doesn't appeal to me.

I'm debating throwing out a feeler to my local dealership to see if they have any bikes that may not be good enough to hit their showroom floor and will be sent to auction. Have any of you tried this?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:30 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
You cant ignore CL if you are looking for a deal. I am not sure what you exactly mean by scammers. You either know how to inspect the bike yourself or take it to have it done by someone else.

Scammers are everywhere. It's not like they populate CL specially.

Create a free Yahoo email just for your search online. If that's the other type of scam you are worried about.
I love cl. Thats where my bike came from. 187 original miles on 2007 in 2012!

Cold cuts!

Ickey Shuffle: Did You Know - GEICO:

Last edited by cvaria; 04-01-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:38 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with OddJack, Craigslist doesn't have any more scammers than anywhere else. you'll have people on eBay, private sellers, or even at the dealership who will try to scam/ exploit you.
theres the classified section here on the forum as well, but CL will probably have the best options. its not your first bike so you'll be able to tell if the bike is a total lemon or not.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:42 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by csaari77
I'm debating throwing out a feeler to my local dealership to see if they have any bikes that may not be good enough to hit their showroom floor and will be sent to auction. Have any of you tried this?
I've never done it personally, but i was under the impression (for where i live at least) the only things that get sent to the auctions are insurance salvages and accident recoveries

Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

You can also look in your local news paper, you may have some luck doing that. Good luck in finding you a project bike, hope you will keep us updated

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 04-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

CL is your best bet. I think it's important that the seller have an actual phone number. I like to call and talk to a person, and I like the same when I'm selling. If it requires an e-mail inquiry, I won't respond to those anymore. I also wanna see the bike, so it has to be local to me. It has to have a clear title. Y'know, the usual stuff.

And if a deal seems too good to be true.... it usually is. I responded to ads for a couple of bikes that had really low selling prices, and the reply was nearly identical on both. "I'm stationed overseas, the bike is actually in texas. Send the money via pay pal and I will ship it." (paraphrased version, but very close to that)

Old 04-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Posted this in another thread about craigslist. I NEVER list my number or email. Craigslist provides a "reply" button for a reason...........use it.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by csaari77
I'm not ignoring CL by any means. I've been searching multiple cities around me pretty religiously. I've got a decent handle on inspecting a bike, but driving a few hundred miles to come back empty handed also doesn't appeal to me.

If you want to go that route try Copart. It's risky but it's for real. It's dealers only but there are many dealers who will buy for you for a small fee.
Look and see if it's available close to you.

Quick Reply: Need some Sportster purchase advice