Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on changing handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:05 PM
razor02
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on changing handlebars

I've owned my new iron 883 for a week now and I've already been hit with the mod bug Besides cosmetic things like the dark custom derby covers and such, the first real upgrade I plan on doing is the handle bars. I'm not unhappy with the stock ones necessarily, I'm just looking for something to enhance the look. I've decided on the biltwell keystone bars. Now my question is will I need to extend my wires to add these bars, or will they work fine with the stock setup. Also how hard is it to change out bars on a sportster? It looks like it will be a pretty straight forward job, but I was just looking for a little feedback and maybe some tips to help me get the job done right. Thanks in advance!
Here's the link to the bars... 1" is the right size right?
https://www.biltwellinc.com/p53/buy/...-1-quot-black/

Old 03-20-2015, 05:07 PM
razor02
Intermediate

Also... what is the difference between dimpled and non-dimpled? I'm new to this stuff haha

Old 03-20-2015, 05:56 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Cool bars and a good choice. I don't remember how tall the stock bars are, but they're very similar in height to the Biltwell bars. Your cables and wires will be fine.

Yes, 1" is correct.

Dimples are used for bars that are wired on the outside (like our Irons.)

The dimples allow for the wires to pass underneath the clutch-lever and brake-lever clamps. You want dimpled bars unless you plan to wire them internally, in which case you want drilled bars. (Wiring internally is some extra work.)

The job is easy and you can do it with basic tools. Look at YouTube for how to disassemble/re-assemble the throttle and change grips. Both easy once you see how to do it.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one recommendation i would have is to use hand tools and go slow, the small screws on the hand controls are easy to strip.
just wanted to warn you as i may or may not have stripped a few screws while trying to change bars in a hurry :P

Old 03-20-2015, 08:20 PM
razor02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SLV
Cool bars and a good choice. I don't remember how tall the stock bars are, but they're very similar in height to the Biltwell bars. Your cables and wires will be fine.

Yes, 1" is correct.

Dimples are used for bars that are wired on the outside (like our Irons.)

The dimples allow for the wires to pass underneath the clutch-lever and brake-lever clamps. You want dimpled bars unless you plan to wire them internally, in which case you want drilled bars. (Wiring internally is some extra work.)

The job is easy and you can do it with basic tools. Look at YouTube for how to disassemble/re-assemble the throttle and change grips. Both easy once you see how to do it.
Thanks for the help! I will order them tomorrow. I think I'll just stick with the dimpled, I don't really want to have to go the extra step to wire them internally.Can't wait to get them on the bike

Old 03-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Tip:
When making mods to a bike with lots of painted or powder coated accessories(non chrome). Use lots of blue painters tape to protect surfaces that the wrenches come in contact with and areas where an oops/slip might happen. Chrome parts are more forgiving and much more scratch resistant but could benifit from some protection too. Why blue tape? It really stands out on a black bike when your done and you probably won't leave a piece behind when your finished.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The best tip I can give for any handlebar install on a Harley , is to apply the front brake and slide a piece of cardboard between the housing and lever to keep the lever "applied" so to speak.
This will help avoid the biggest OOPS you will run into.
The brake switch in the housing will almost always get broken on reinstallation if you don't remember to do this.
The second tip is to double check the wires for getting pinched by watching closely their routing though the dimple on the bars when reinstalling the controls.
Don't drink coffee before playing with the throttle ferrules on the right grip for the cables , they're tiny and run away faster than a rabbit.
Mick