Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler install write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:34 AM
ShakeRattleAndRoll
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive mate, well done.

Next time the bike's on the lift I'd like to do one of these myself. As well as one of those little breathers that stops oil blow back in the air intake

Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome thanks.
I didn't know Permatex had a Moto 1 sealant.
Where did you buy it?

P.S. I would rather have the hoses longer than shorter if in case you ever had to remove it to get to something/tare the jugs off etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Awesome thanks.
I didn't know Permatex had a Moto 1 sealant.
Where did you buy it?

P.S. I would rather have the hoses longer than shorter if in case you ever had to remove it to get to something/tare the jugs off etc.
I think i got the permatex at auto zone years ago when I was fighting with my rocker covers. Never used it. I used the new hd rocker gaskets instead.

Its permatex part#29132. should be on amazon

The hoses might be an issue because of the stress they are putting on the cooler nipples. That may change after i run the bike a few times. That braided stuff is mean but, the hoses would be exposed and unprotected otherwise. Catch 22

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks.

Or you could use wire loom over the lines. Small one that is tight and then one size up.

Could even put a 45* brass fitting in there. That also would help if you have to take the cooler off-just remove it from the 45* fitting. Not sure how it would look.
Just a thought, and thanks,
Jim

Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Thanks.

Or you could use wire loom over the lines. Small one that is tight and then one size up.

Could even put a 45* brass fitting in there. That also would help if you have to take the cooler off-just remove it from the 45* fitting. Not sure how it would look.
Just a thought, and thanks,
Jim
I thought about looms and mesh. Seemed like more work than necessary and i saw the fittings and didnt have the shop hardware to properly set them on the hoses. Jagg sells them as optional accessories.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Nicely done. Very clean. Did Jaggs website tell how much reduction (degree Fahrenheit) in heat this oil cooler is supposed to bring?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Nicely done. Very clean. Did Jaggs website tell how much reduction (degree Fahrenheit) in heat this oil cooler is supposed to bring?

i don't think the site does. i added the thermostat that kicks on and off at 210 degrees. i can feel when it activates. my left leg gets warm.

i just installed it because it gets ridiculous down here in the summer. i may add the fan later. http://www.jagg.com/fan-accessories.html

Last edited by cvaria; 04-05-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cvaria, thank you very much for the write-up and pics. A Jagg Slimline is definitely up there on my to-buy list. Did you seek out any other mounting points for the oil cooler before installing it? Alongside the downtube is a very effective place for it but I'd prefer to tuck it out of the way a bit more if possible. Between the downtubes, laying horizontally ought to work, right?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:15 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that's awesome, for some reason I didn't know it was that easy. I want to get one, just to bite that $400 bullet is going to hurt.

do you have an oil temp gauge so you can monitor?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
that's awesome, for some reason I didn't know it was that easy. I want to get one, just to bite that $400 bullet is going to hurt.

do you have an oil temp gauge so you can monitor?
There are other alternatives to the $400 Jagg coolers. Oil coolers can be had for $100 - $200 if you look around and there are many different designs/setups; however, the Jagg is certainly proven effective.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler install write up