Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the switch to apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

One of the best values that HD has is their min-apes...I think they're $69 or $79.

Longer brake line from Dennis Kirk, re-route the clutch cable and it is plenty long enough...I used the stock clutch cable on some 17" apes and had plenty of room (after re-routing it).

Throttle cables are long enough.

If you lift up the tank you should be able to get enough wire to not need to extend them. But if you do want to extend the wired, NAMZ is a great company.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-19-2015, 07:00 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
One of the best values that HD has is their min-apes...I think they're $69 or $79.

Longer brake line from Dennis Kirk, re-route the clutch cable and it is plenty long enough...I used the stock clutch cable on some 17" apes and had plenty of room (after re-routing it).

Throttle cables are long enough.

If you lift up the tank you should be able to get enough wire to not need to extend them. But if you do want to extend the wired, NAMZ is a great company.
Good do hear that re-routing clutch and throttle cable is good. How about idle cable? I am dropping turn signals down to the forks so don't need to worry about those. So according to your info the brake line and maybe electrical is all I should need?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by rysonn
Good do hear that re-routing clutch and throttle cable is good. How about idle cable? I am dropping turn signals down to the forks so don't need to worry about those. So according to your info the brake line and maybe electrical is all I should need?
Both throttle cables should be fine.

That has been my experience with my 09 SportyL

Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a local indy shop after having them install 12" Burly narrow apes and relocating the turn signals to the upper forks. The apes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the stock low-rise bars! The bike handles so much snappier, u-turns are so much smoother, and it just brought the handling of the bike alive. These bikes aren't known as the best handling bikes but apes are the best thing to happen to motorcycles since ever. I actually found it EASIER to ride with apes and it just feels so much more natural, to me, at least. I'm always going with apes now!

BTW, I highly recommend the Drag Specialties 39mm turn signal clamps for the forks. You can clamp them anywhere on the upper forks and they look really clean since they don't stick so far out. Best part is you can reuse the stock signals to save money. They come in chrome and black so I just went with chrome so they'd blend in with the fork tubes.
Amazon.com: Drag Specialties Turn Signal Fork Clamps - 49mm/--: Automotive Amazon.com: Drag Specialties Turn Signal Fork Clamps - 49mm/--: Automotive
You want 39mm for our bikes.

Making the switch to apes-kra8tpq.jpg

Last edited by starforbrian; 03-19-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Jlister
Cruiser

Originally Posted by starforbrian
I just got back from a local indy shop after having them install 12" Burly narrow apes and relocating the turn signals to the upper forks. The apes are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the stock low-rise bars! The bike handles so much snappier, u-turns are so much smoother, and it just brought the handling of the bike alive. These bikes aren't known as the best handling bikes but apes are the best thing to happen to motorcycles since ever. I actually found it EASIER to ride with apes and it just feels so much more natural, to me, at least. I'm always going with apes now!

BTW, I highly recommend the Drag Specialties 39mm turn signal clamps for the forks. You can clamp them anywhere on the upper forks and they look really clean since they don't stick so far out. Best part is you can reuse the stock signals to save money. They come in chrome and black so I just went with chrome so they'd blend in with the fork tubes. Amazon.com: Drag Specialties Turn Signal Fork Clamps - 49mm/--: Automotive You want 39mm for our bikes.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/kra8tPQ.jpg]
What did you do for cables? Just reroute throttle and clutch cable?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:55 PM
starforbrian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jlister
What did you do for cables? Just reroute throttle and clutch cable?
Everything was extended +8" and routed how it was stock for these '06 carb'd bikes. Double-sided zipties to keep the throttle cables closer together and not flinging around. Also, brake line ziptied to bars. I have dual front brakes so the shop came up with a great idea and put a fitting between the T junction and the brake line to the master cylinder so if I want to change bars all I have to do is change that one small brake line.

Making the switch to apes-dnnhttp.jpg

Last edited by starforbrian; 03-24-2015 at 11:59 PM.