Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antigravity lithium ion batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
the only issues I have heard about Li batteries is that they don't make a lot of power when they are cold..like in the winter..they say that if you just hit the starter for a few seconds and then wait a few seconds then try again it will make more power..they say that the first time trying to start the bike will warm up the battery so then it will make more power and stat the bike the second time...other than that they are suppose to be good batteries..
I read where you could just turn the key on and the the draw of the light would warm it up in 20-30 seconds to full power. That and the fact nobody was stocking them local to me was kind of the deal killer. Battery warranties aren't much good if they aren't available local.

The Battery Tender brand can be had on Amazon for not much difference in price than a AGM battery. $91+$6 shipping for the size suggested for our Sportsters and another $30 for a special battery tender/charger.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive

Old 03-16-2015, 12:53 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandy H.
I read where you could just turn the key on and the the draw of the light would warm it up in 20-30 seconds to full power. That and the fact nobody was stocking them local to me was kind of the deal killer. Battery warranties aren't much good if they aren't available local.

The Battery Tender brand can be had on Amazon for not much difference in price than a AGM battery. $91+$6 shipping for the size suggested for our Sportsters and another $30 for a special battery tender/charger.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL14A240C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive
This battery sold for about $160 just a couple months ago. Summit Racing does not carry them anymore last I checked, so perhaps these are being discontinued or were not a successful product for the company.

I'd go with a Shorai myself, it comes in the exact physical size as the stock battery. I have an older exposed battery tray, and having a tiny battery surrounded by foam blocks would look pretty lame IMO.

John

Old 03-16-2015, 01:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by 98INFINITY
How did you mount it being so small? I was going to buy the stock size 12 cell.
Hey, I forgot to post the pic of the battery with the foam spacers. Here it is-

Name:  Battery5.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  87.2 KB

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM
98INFINITY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are all crazy, antigravity sells a "stock size" 12 cell lithium, and the mini one. Go to the website. The website asks if you want left side or right side negative terminals. I'm thinking it would be left side negative. But I am not sure.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...ries-ytx12-12/

Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

You guys are all crazy, antigravity sells a "stock size" 12 cell lithium, and the mini one. Go to the website. The website asks if you want left side or right side negative terminals. I'm thinking it would be left side negative. But I am not sure.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...ries-ytx12-12/
Yes, they do. We don't stock the stock size ones. We can get them, but the smaller ones, in almost every situation (except like Johns'), is a better choice...ya never know what you might want the extra room for.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:07 PM
98INFINITY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yes, they do. We don't stock the stock size ones. We can get them, but the smaller ones, in almost every situation (except like Johns'), is a better choice...ya never know what you might want the extra room for.
Can you take a picture of it mounted in the bike?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
To me, and many of our Customers, having a battery that does not overheat, melt, or catch fire, is more a more advanced battery, and as you state, the Lithium Nano-Phosphate is a "subcategory of Lithium Ion", which appears to mean it came after the Lithium Ion...thus the reference to it being an evolution. Perhaps on some technical level, even though it came after, and is safer, it is not viewed in technical terms as an evolved technology.

You are certainly correct, Lithium bats are more expensive than lead acid. Time will tell for sure, but I believe that it is only a matter of time before the Lithium bats will be OEM. They take much less space, weigh less, and, again, time will tell, but I believe they will last much longer than lead acid bats.

I also agree with you, that, currently the Lithiums are much more attractive to the rider that needs the extra space for load equalizers, stereo components, piggy-back tuners, custom builds, etc.

I got my first Lithium over 3 years ago because I was doing a custom build and needed some space for my ECM that no longer had a home in the new fender.

Since then I have had such good experience with them, that when a lead acid bites the dust, the only thing I will replace it with is an Antigravity. They are not necessary for most, but they are a better product, imo.
I didn't intend to disparage your product. Li-Ion is great in any of the formulations when the application calls for it and I'm certain that the Antigravity brand makes high-quality products. I just think you're overstating the advantages by more than a small amount.

As far as which came first, Lithium Iron Phosphate or Lithium Cobalt Oxide, you're right that the Cobalt Oxide type was first. But to give the impression that Iron Phosphate is more advanced because it's newer is inaccurate. Lithium Iron Phosphate was created (around 1996) as a way to trade off energy density for decreased propensity for thermal runaway. They're not "better" than Cobalt Oxide, just built for a different set of tradeoffs.

The Cobalt Oxide type is still the most prevalent, in fact, that's the type used by your laptop and your mobile phone. Cobalt Oxide is used in those cases because the weight and size advantage it has compared to Iron Phosphate makes it more desirable and worth the risk. Unless you're also worried about your cell phone and laptop bursting into flames, it's a bit disingenuous to push a "safety" advantage for Lithium Iron Phosphate over Lithium Cobalt Oxide.

When all is said and done, I already have a battery that, "does not overheat, melt, or catch fire." It's called an AGM battery, it has exactly the same cold cranking amps (240) as the 8-cell Antigravity, nearly twice the amp-hour capacity, lasts at least 7 years in my usage (age of the current AGM battery in my bike), and costs half of what an Antigravity would. And, unlike all Lithium Ion batteries (including Lithium Iron Phosphate), the AGM cell does not experience accelerated aging when kept fully charged (Lithium Ion batteries, even Lithium Iron Phosphate, lose capacity faster when kept at a full charge; ideal storage for a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is 40% charge, where it will lose about 4% capacity per year, keep it fully charged and you lose a whopping 20% capacity each year).

There are good reasons to use Lithium Ion batteries like the Antigravity. You're trying to save weight on a track bike. You want a certain look for a custom. You just need the space for mechanical or electrical bits. But people should understand that these batteries aren't universally "better," rather they simply present a different set of trade-offs. Whether those trade-offs make sense for an individual purchaser is up to that purchaser to decide, but from a purely engineering standpoint the average rider who is just replacing the battery in his bike and doesn't need the weight or space savings Lithiums offer is going to be better served with an AGM battery.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Can you take a picture of it mounted in the bike?
Here's a pic of one in my bike. As you can see I put the ECM, along with a bunch of cable, on top of the battery.

Name:  BattECM_zps6240ad02.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  138.3 KB

What is not visible is that I only needed some of the extra room, so there is a foam block on the far side of the battery, taking up some of the extra space.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM
chris_b_owens
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, would like to get an Antigravity lithium ion for my 09 iron. Question I have is I get the negative terminal on the left side, correct? The website gives the option of left or right side negative terminal. Thanks!

I bought one of these for my bike. I started with a 12 cell which worked great for me when my bike was an 883 but after I did the 1250 upgrade it was not even close. I upgraded to a 16 cell and it works great!

The main benefit is the size and weight. It is very small and light which for me was great because I was able to move my ECM into the battery box and rewire the bike thus completely cleaning the space around the motor.

To answer your original question your Negative cable goes into the battery box from the right side for the frame and the positive on the left. However it does not matter if you get the small case version of the battery because the terminals are centered and can be mounted either way. Also since the is no liquid and the batteries are completely water proof you can even mount them on their side. I did this on mine with the terminals facing out ward for easy access.

The problems with these batteries are they are very sensitive to discharge and over charge. They also take a second to "warm up" if you will. So after you turn the key and flip the run switch...give it a few seconds then start.

I do recommend these batteries but do your homework and see if it right for you.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Lithium Ion is what Boeing used to save weight. Specifically, Boeing used the Lithium Cobalt Oxide type of Li-Ion batteries because they have the highest energy density and therefore weigh the least for a given amount of capacity. They are most certainly not a cost-saving feature.

The term "nano-phosphate" is a marketing term used by Antigravity. The actual chemistry used by the batteries is Lithium Iron Phosphate, another subcategory of Lithium Ion. While Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are much lighter per capacity than traditional flooded lead acid batteries, they have only about 60% of the energy density of Lithium Cobalt Oxide batteries. However, the benefit of Lithium Iron Phosphate is that they are much less prone to thermal runaway (the "fire" issue that Boeing had) than Lithium Cobalt Oxide batteries and are less sensitive about charging protocol (though they still require a different charger than is used by traditional lead acid batteries).

Presenting these as a "more advanced" form of Lithium Ion than the type used by Boeing is misleading at best. They are simply a different type with higher weight, but lower risk of thermal issues compared to the type of Li-Ion used by Boeing in the 787. Lithium Iron Phosphate isn't newer, it isn't more advanced, and Boeing certainly didn't decide on Lithium Cobalt Oxide as a cost-saving measure.

I can understand the space-saving desire of a Lithium Ion battery if you need somewhere to put a piggyback ECU, but honestly, given that AGM batteries are lasting me 6+ years of actual service and the weight savings of a Lithium Ion is only about 10 pounds I just don't see the point of spending double the cost of a quality Yuasa AGM unless you really need that space freed up. At 16 amp-hours, the $90 Yuasa AGM has nearly double the total capacity of the $180 Antigravity as well.

I'm sure the Antigravity is a great product, I just don't see the practical benefit to the average rider.
yuasa batteries have crappy posts. i bought on to replace my sporty battery and refused to put it in my bike because of the posts. they look like they wanna fail. i ended up giving it away on craigslist recently just to get it out of my garage. i preferred the beefier hd battery posts. i have a lot of crap running off the posts. last thing i need is one of those crappy posts snapping, out on the road.

Quick Reply: Antigravity lithium ion batteries