Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Backpack

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Riding Backpack

I work in the technology industry. Last year I road with my work clothes and a regular computer backpack to work. This year I was thinking about finding a backpack more suitable for riding. I also want to carry my work clothes and shoes in the backpack and change at work. Right now I am leaning toward the Ogio Mach 3 or 5. I love the way the Icon Mach 3 looks but it appears to be too small. Any advice?

Any experiences, thoughts or examples are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:07 PM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a backpack obsession and I have yet to find the perfect one. I have a ogio that is pretty good and would suit your needs (epic) with a computer compartment and lots of space for clothes.

Chrome makes some interesting packs with some high vis 3m reflectors that are discreet during the day time.

I much prefer single shoulder packs to traditional backpacks when riding as they are much easier to get on and off with riding gear on. Someday someone is going to invent the perfect pack with room for my MacBook, my dslr and/or mirrorless camera kit, single strap, reflective accents, and can double up as a diaper bag for my little one for when I'm not on the bike. Obviously my needs are somewhat unique...

Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 287 Likes on 110 Posts

I was looking to do the same thing a while back and researched the heck out of backpacks. I got obsessed with it.
I ended up with a Kriega R-20. I love it. It's perfect for me. I couldn't decide between it and the Kriega R-25 (slightly larger). Some days I wish I had gone for the R-25 (days I want to carry extra shoes/boots). But for just a change of clothes and a computer, the R-20 does great.
If you want "lots of space for clothes" as you say, the R-25 (or even the R-30) would be good for you.
What I found, after tons of research and trial and error, is that the harness/strap system on the Kriega's are second to none.
Check out the videos on Revzilla.
Good luck.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

I personally hate wearing a backpack. I got a HD detachable sissy bar that I will strap my laptop to for the ride to and from work.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking for a backpack myself a single strap one. It would be awesome if you all would post pictures of the backpacks you have that would be great. Ride Safe.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ride my bike to school so i needed a bag that could fit my laptop, lunch, and some books.
i got a Dakine Mission backpack. its not a motorcycle specific backpack, but it works great for me. it has a laptop sleeve, tons of pockets, waist and chest straps, and compression straps
its only about $40, so its a cheaper alternative to some other bags

Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM
FrankDaTank182
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bug out gear back pack I use for work, holds my laptop, printer, and lots of other stuff needed for work, its pretty much water proof so its good for electronics and a dry set of clothes when raining. Don't remember what I paid for it, bought it several years back when I was in the army, very roomy though, I used it as my bag when I would go to drill, I could fit 2 uniforms, 2 sets of regular clothes boots and tennis shoes, plus extras I love it.

here is a picture of what it looks like

http://www.survival-supply.com/image...5031-Black.jpg

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LonestarXL
I was looking to do the same thing a while back and researched the heck out of backpacks. I got obsessed with it.
I ended up with a Kriega R-20. I love it. It's perfect for me. I couldn't decide between it and the Kriega R-25 (slightly larger). Some days I wish I had gone for the R-25 (days I want to carry extra shoes/boots). But for just a change of clothes and a computer, the R-20 does great.
If you want "lots of space for clothes" as you say, the R-25 (or even the R-30) would be good for you.
What I found, after tons of research and trial and error, is that the harness/strap system on the Kriega's are second to none.
Check out the videos on Revzilla.
Good luck.
I like that Kriega R-20 and R-25. I ride on base and like that pouch you can buy for it so I can put my ID in it and easy to get to when I pull up to the gate. This may be one I may consider.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by crawrj
I work in the technology industry. Last year I road with my work clothes and a regular computer backpack to work. This year I was thinking about finding a backpack more suitable for riding. I also want to carry my work clothes and shoes in the backpack and change at work. Right now I am leaning toward the Ogio Mach 3 or 5. I love the way the Icon Mach 3 looks but it appears to be too small. Any advice?

Any experiences, thoughts or examples are greatly appreciated.
Not sure if you have considered saddlebags. I ride to work everyday (30 miles one way) rain or shine and I have to carry a laptop bag AND wear a suit! In winters for legs, I put on my long johns, suit trousers, rain suit lower and riding boots. Luckily I have a small laptop so laptop bag sits in one saddlebag.

As far as dressing goes, for upper body, dress shirt, heated jacket liner and leather jacket or rain suit depending upon the weather. Rain suit jacket sits in the saddlebags during dry days. Also suit jacket is neatly folded and sits in one saddlebag inside a poly-bag. After reaching work, all the riding layers come off and suit jacket is on.

It takes me 7-10 extra minutes to do this routine but keep me on two wheels so it's all good.

Last edited by kingxirol; 03-11-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Justadam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you have a sissy bar or not but I got the sissy bar backpack from Walmart, and it's actually really nice. I stuff a bunch of gear for work and it's held up well. Plus when I walk around, it's a regular looking back pack. For

$35.00 you can't go wrong.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fieldline-...Black/23591041

Quick Reply: Riding Backpack