Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led h4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Honestly didn't do this... (because i didnt read it, 4 degrees and i'm still illiterate ) on the first install. But i was confused about the amount of light pouring out of the lamp and thinking i some how put the bulb in upside down... So i found this after and went back an did it. DK, move this to the front of the instructions for morons like me

old hd high performance

inserted the new guy

clamps

clamps

Not in instructions... habit

Boom! exactly what i wanted, CRISPY WHITE LIGHT!!!!!!

you can totally feel that little fan doing it's thing

not to sure if this is right side up? there are 2 led up top and one on the bottom.. is that right?

Anyone Anyone... , Bueller?

Last edited by cvaria; 03-23-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Thanks DK folks. i know i gave you all s*** for "ambulance chasing" but, god D*** if this was not exactly what i wanted. f*** those sealed $150+ units. if this bulb ever failed in the field, i could easily swap it out at walmart, a gas station, or any parts store for an H4 and get home alive.

everybody, go buy these bulbs...now!

DK LED H4 Bulb
Use "Save10" coupon code for 10% off

Last edited by cvaria; 03-23-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:03 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone PLEASE, who has installed either the DK or Fuel Moto LED bulb post some pics similar to SandyH (page two of this thread) from 25' aimed at a wall or garage door. The cut off point on the low and spread of the high beam is what I'd like to see. I really would like an economical improvement over the stock headlight, but not at the risk of blinding oncoming traffic. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:31 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by oc1014
Would someone PLEASE, who has installed either the DK or Fuel Moto LED bulb post some pics similar to SandyH (page two of this thread) from 25' aimed at a wall or garage door. The cut off point on the low and spread of the high beam is what I'd like to see. I really would like an economical improvement over the stock headlight, but not at the risk of blinding oncoming traffic. Thanks.
oncoming traffic doesn't love you... as a matter of fact, it wants to hurt you.
there was a guy shooting lasers out of his silverado this morning, it looked like the 100w beams from my jeep's light bar (below). he didn't care about us.

buy the bulb and don't worry about it. you have to aim it anyway. you are over thinking this

Old 03-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried one that like on my wife's Nighster but I could not get everything to fit into the bucket. Is there some trick or are the buckets different sizes?

Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Stang951
I tried one that like on my wife's Nighster but I could not get everything to fit into the bucket. Is there some trick or are the buckets different sizes?
see below. i managed to cram it all in before reading. but on the second go round i followed the directions, went right in. Ask the DK folks for the directions, mine are at the bottom of the trashcan now covered in oil. really easy though.

this

Last edited by cvaria; 03-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, so you are taking the connector apart and plugging in the wires individually?

Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 PM
cvaria
Supporter

OK, so you are taking the connector apart and plugging in the wires individually?
Yes sir.

Last edited by cvaria; 03-23-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

not to sure if this is right side up? there are 2 led up top and one on the bottom.. is that right?

Anyone Anyone... , Bueller?
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first started testing..it is counter-intuitive. But it is correct for the third (high beam) LED to be on the bottom.

Super Happy to hear you are enjoying it!

I will try and get the pics you are requesting tomorrow night.

Since I know a lot of people that are blinded at night by the stock Sporty headlight, and a bunch that are blinded by a DOT approved halogen lights in a Sporty bucket, I am confident that they will be even MORE blinded with the LED pointed at them.

I also have a 2014 Touring model that comes with the HD LED. It is a more focused beam than the DK Custom LED, and I can't count how many times I've had oncoming traffic flash their brights at me when I was Not running my brights. Yes, my light is adjusted correctly. The LED's are just a very bright light.

I myself have done the same to cars a few times...flashed my brights at them because I thought they were running their brights coming toward me...turns out they were not...they just had some really bright headlights.

Only the plastic cover that the connectors sit in is removed. There is No cutting of wires, or changing of connectors.

Just pull the 3 male spade connectors out of the plastic case on the light side, and the three female spade connectors out of the plastic case on the bike side. Plugging them up without all that plastic will give you plenty of room for it to fit. It is a 5 minute deal.

Last edited by DK Custom; 03-24-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure the bulb I purchased and this bulb are identical in design. I expect the patterns will be the same as the pictures I posted.

As DK posted you can easily blind oncoming traffic with a stock headlight. I discovered that the night I rode my bike home as people kept flashing me. I had to push the aim down at a stop to put an end to that.

Since I installed my LED bulb I pulled the aim back up a little and decided not to worry about it. It was mostly an experiment for me. I will rarely if ever ride at night. Have put a hundred miles or so on it in daylight and have not been flashed by oncoming traffic.

Quick Reply: Led h4?