Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led h4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:49 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rodteague
DK

I am very pleased by your diligence regarding testing and comparison of LED and in can's. It is also encouraging that you have figured out how the 3 diode LED's should be properly fitted. You are so right when you state it is "counter intuitive". as you know, incandescents have the bright element on top, where as the LED should have the single(bright) diode on the bottom. I had to figure this out on my own and it is very surprising that a few can't seem to wrap their head around this. My solution was to rotate the lens 180 deg so the diodes would function as intended. I used the Cyron LED which is giving me very similar results as yours. However, the Cyron adapter fixes the diodes upside down in the HD lens…..The solution as I mentioned before, rotate the lens 180 deg(upside down) putting the LED "right side up".

If I read your post's correct, it appears your kit fixes this issue by ensuring the adapter places the LED in proper position to begin with. I only wish you had your kit available before I had purchased mine. It would have saved me alot of tinkering. Below are the post's I made in my build threads on xlforum and advrider. Hope this helps for anyone who has already purchased the Cyron LED.

Regards

Rod
Rod,

Can you post a link to your original with the pics you mention?

I have this Cyron LED in my 2013 Custom. I may have mine installed upside down, that is the HD BARS on the glass is correct and right side up as viewed from the front of the bike. I also got one of these bulbs for my UC2006 and have yet to install it. I want to be sure I do that right too. So you say AGAIN that the BARS need to be upside down for correct LED low beam placement?

THANKS!

For the record I rode for 2 months in the dark with my Custom and this bulb installed likely incorrectly with BARS upright on the glass and I did not get flashed from anyone headed in my direction. I also found the brightness much improved over the stock light, no dark circle on the ground at all as the stock light showed, and I never much needed the high beam on the Cyron while riding. Yes I did tilt the bucket down a taste vs. where it was when it had the factory OEM light in it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:26 PM
rodteague
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMRO

The Cyron like the DK custom bulb is shaped like a prism.

If you have your bulb installed with the point of the prism(triangle) on top and the base of the prism( triangle) on the bottom(two diodes essentially on top and one diode on the bottom), then the Cyron is installed correctly. Likewise, if the base of the prism is on top(one diode), then it is installed incorrectly.

The Cyron adapter for the Harley Davidson lamps will only fit one way, and unfortunately it makes the bulb install upside down. My only remedy was to rotate the lens 180 deg after installing the bulb. This manipulation is very simple for Sportster and Dyna headlamps mfg before 2005(mine is a 2002). After 2005( I believe that is correct) HD changed the headlamp assembly(several times I might add) so that rotating the lens is more difficult. Several riders have indicated that they were able to rotate the lens in later models, but none have posted how they accomplished it.

I wish I had photo's for later models, but I do not. So my recommendation is, unless you know that your HD lens can be rotated, buy the DK Custom LED. Otherwise you will have to manipulate your lens and lamp housing to get the Cyron to project or "cast" correctly.

Link to my build threads /Cyron bulb install post's

advrider: My Multi Purpose Sportster

xlforum: My Multi Purpose Sportster

Hope this helps

Regards

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 04-02-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Ronder
Cruiser

Rod... Great explanation on led placement in the Harley tub.

So the DK will be sort up right in a 09 road King???

Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 06:15 PM
rodteague
Advanced

Okay, Even I am confused now. Not really. I posted this morning after working 4 night's in a row in the ER. The Cyron bulb installs just like the DK bulb. Point up, base down; 2 diodes up one diode down. However, I had to instal The Cyron bulb base up point down in order to get it to cast correctly. The older porsche/VW lens assembly's seem to cast the LED's differently and require the bulb to be flipped. Some late model lenses seem to have the same problem; but not all of them. Here is a thread on xlforums that illustrates this:

xlforum: Any good H4 LED solutions?

Slap me silly, I know this makes me look like an idiot. However, The Cyron does appear to work well with some HD models; but not others. My 2002 Sportster lens had to be rotated 180 deg to get it to work properly. When I first posted on my build threads I assumed the reflectors in the lens were all similar. That does not appear to be true because the MoCo has radically changed the lens/reflector design over the last several years. DKC installation instructions are correct and is consistent with the Cyron. Cyron's performance and quality control may also be suspect because of the inconsistency's noted in the above thread. I suspect it may be a little of both reflector/lens design and quality control.

So what I said earlier is correct; install point up base down. However, early model sportsters( my original post's on advrider and xlforum) may require base up point down installation in order to reflect/cast properly. Moral of the story; never ***-U-ME anything, don't post after working four, 12 hour shifts in a row; and never say never

Regards

Rod

Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM
rodteague
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ronder

Thanks
Thanks, I'll let DK answer your question.

Regards

Rod

Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,510 Likes on 554 Posts

this might help explain

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

in a nut shell, low element be it LED or H4 reflects off the top of the reflector.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Ronder
Cruiser

DK Custom......along with your LED headlight, are you working on an axillary LED bulb for a 09 Road King?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

OK so after reading through this thread I came to realize these things install upside down. I did not need to remove a set screw as the proper adapter seemed to be already mounted however the high beam is indeed on the bottom. So the bar and shield on the lamp will have to be upside down? If I am reading correctly?

Or is the high beam on the bottom being reflected upwards because the reflector shape causes the light beam to run higher??

Last edited by TenMidgets; 04-02-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:31 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Thanks

Our LED will drop right into the Road King. Takes about 10 minutes. The bulb comes with the adapter installed on the bulb, and it can go into the headlight only one way. The correct way. Just unplug the stock bulb and plug this one in.

Below is a before/after pic of the 7" Softail, which is essentially the same as the RK.

The difference is astounding! The pictures do not do it justice. The white color gives the rider greater depth of field at night by emitting a true white light.

DK Custom......along with your LED headlight, are you working on an axillary LED bulb for a 09 Road King?

Thanks
Yes, we have begun testing a short while ago on the driving/passing/auxiliary lights found on the some Touring & Softail models.

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-03-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:28 AM
Ronder
Cruiser

Great DK Custom!

I guess my '09 Road King and the Wife's '11 Deluxe needs your LEDs also.

Any idea when the Passing lights will be available?

Thanks,

Ronder

Quick Reply: Led h4?