Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Iron 883 - Upgrade the Front Forks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 2015 Iron 883 - Upgrade the Front Forks

Seeking advice from people that have done the upgrade themselves and can give the do's/don'ts and offer helpful advice.

I have an incredible road called the Apache Trail that goes from Apache Junction, AZ down to Canyon Lake (actually goes all the way to the Roosevelt Dam but that's several miles of nasty dirty road I don't plan on taking the Iron down).
At one time it was a Stage Coach trail and a good length of it has not been upgraded much above that quality of road.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Trail

The paved portion though is a riding dream (in some aspects), curving mountain road, switchbacks and sheer drop-offs into the canyons right at the side of the road; straight up cliffs on the other with cactus. Breathtaking.

My issue is that as soon as I get a half mile past the Lost Dutchman State Park entrance the road has heaved and split up in chattering teeth rattling ridges that force me to slow down to 10 mph in order to keep the bike on the road. It's like speed bumps spaced four feet apart. Horrible.

But... I see other riders taking it with ease.

I asked the nearest HD dealership to the road (where I bought my bike) and they sort of chuckled as if knowing quite well the issue. Their response was that my 2015 Iron 883 has very basic/stock shocks and everyone upgrades them. Makes all the difference in the world.

So... I'm here; seeking advice on others who have done this already and willing to listen and learn.

Thank you.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

So are you bottoming the front forks out, or is the stock set-up too stiff?

Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Delnorin
Seeking advice from people that have done the upgrade themselves and can give the do's/don'ts and offer helpful advice.

I have an incredible road called the Apache Trail that goes from Apache Junction, AZ down to Canyon Lake (actually goes all the way to the Roosevelt Dam but that's several miles of nasty dirty road I don't plan on taking the Iron down).
At one time it was a Stage Coach trail and a good length of it has not been upgraded much above that quality of road.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Trail

The paved portion though is a riding dream (in some aspects), curving mountain road, switchbacks and sheer drop-offs into the canyons right at the side of the road; straight up cliffs on the other with cactus. Breathtaking.

My issue is that as soon as I get a half mile past the Lost Dutchman State Park entrance the road has heaved and split up in chattering teeth rattling ridges that force me to slow down to 10 mph in order to keep the bike on the road. It's like speed bumps spaced four feet apart. Horrible.

But... I see other riders taking it with ease.

I asked the nearest HD dealership to the road (where I bought my bike) and they sort of chuckled as if knowing quite well the issue. Their response was that my 2015 Iron 883 has very basic/stock shocks and everyone upgrades them. Makes all the difference in the world.

So... I'm here; seeking advice on others who have done this already and willing to listen and learn.

Thank you.
When you say you see other riders taking it with ease, are you talking other Sportster riders or adventure or off road type bikes?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Each suspension unit has two components, springs and damping. As far as forks are concerned the stock springs are one-size-fits-all and also progressive-rate. I would replace them with single-rate springs, matched to your weight. They will improve travel and, with sag set correctly, provide a better ride. To them consider adding Ricor Intiminators, which are designed to improve damping. I actually have Race Tech Emulators which don't seem to provide any benefit, so I can't recommend them. Their fork springs are fine.

At the rear end there are zillions of alternative shocks, but you get what you pay for. I have Ohlins on my Glide, but haven't committed to them for my Sporty yet. They also came with matched single-rate springs and have excellent damping.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:14 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

The Iron has to be the most bad *** Sportster you can buy new. Im willing to bet in a few years down the road when they stop making the Iron, they will be an even hotter item.
Why the hell would anybody buy a Street 750/500 when you can pull up to the city curb with an Iron!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
The Iron has to be the most bad *** Sportster you can buy new. Im willing to bet in a few years down the road when they stop making the Iron, they will be an even hotter item.
Why the hell would anybody buy a Street 750/500 when you can pull up to the city curb with an Iron!
Because riding is a lot more then just posing.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by subguy
When you say you see other riders taking it with ease, are you talking other Sportster riders or adventure or off road type bikes?
I'm seeing the big bagger Harley's going over the road smoothly, the dual sport and off road bikes and also the crotch-rocket types. The rockets seem to have some difficulty though and look exhausted by the beating they are getting.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by run1fsr
So are you bottoming the front forks out, or is the stock set-up too stiff?
I think perhaps they are just set-up too stiff.

I told the dealership and at my 1000 mile maintenance they loosened up the rear shocks but I do not think they did anything to the front.

I ordered my maintenance manual for the bike. It should be here Friday. I'll research then how to adjust the front forks. Unless you want to reply here if it's pretty simple to explain.

I've bottomed out on a rut in the road before (here in AZ they have these rain gutter troughs going across residential roads (like upside down speedbumps).. tonight after leaving Bible Study and heading to work I hit one about 20 mph and SLAM... Now that was absolutely bottoming out.

The Apache Trail riding experience was not like that. So perhaps the shocks are okay.. they just need to be loosened up a bit? ?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
Each suspension unit has two components, springs and damping. As far as forks are concerned the stock springs are one-size-fits-all and also progressive-rate. I would replace them with single-rate springs, matched to your weight. They will improve travel and, with sag set correctly, provide a better ride. To them consider adding Ricor Intiminators, which are designed to improve damping. I actually have Race Tech Emulators which don't seem to provide any benefit, so I can't recommend them. Their fork springs are fine.

At the rear end there are zillions of alternative shocks, but you get what you pay for. I have Ohlins on my Glide, but haven't committed to them for my Sporty yet. They also came with matched single-rate springs and have excellent damping.
So...

I can get springs and dampeners that will replace what is inside the front fork tubes? I can keep the tubes and just replace the innards?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 AM
Delnorin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown

Holy Crapness!

The Ricor Intiminators are $250.00
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/606-385

Do you have a link to the Single-Rate Springs that would work for my 2015 HD Iron 883?

Edit: Ah.. that Rico Intiminators JPcycles.com says does not fit my bike. Perhaps another version does. I expect the same cost though.

Last edited by Delnorin; 02-26-2015 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Updated info

Quick Reply: 2015 Iron 883 - Upgrade the Front Forks