Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Exhaust Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Philly1200
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Exhaust Question...

I want to install my aftermarket exhaust myself.

First off, if anyone has any links to online step-by-step guides, i'd appreciate the tip.

I know what exhaust and intake I'm going to get.

My biggest question is with the EFI tuning situation.

Originally, I thought a stage I download would be sufficient. Now, the dealership has put doubt into my mind telling me a Stage I will still pop and run poorly. Of course, their only solution is the $500 screaming eagle EFI tuner. (Which is apparently VIN-specific which eliminates re-sale which is hilarious)

Any opinions? What is the most economical way to do this? Can it be done without buying and EFI tuner? I'm kind of lost on this aspect of the install.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM
shackdaddy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do an exhaust alone and be fine.

I just want to be a good guy here and give you a pointer or two as I see you are relatively new and only have a few posts. Guys are generally going to ignore threads with questions like this. The whole reason is because this question has been asked more times than I can even possibly attempt to think of. Use the search tool man. If you search and still cant find what you are looking for, then start a new thread and see what you can get. I know how this goes, because Ive done it myself.

I hope Im not coming off as an ***, because that is not what Im trying to do. I just wanted to give you a little pointer to help out with questions and the flow of information in the future.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Below is a Overview of EFI options, it includes a lot of good information that will help you out
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-19-2015, 02:25 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Read these, ignore the bitching.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...oad-works.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...load-crap.html

The dealer download is nothing more than a generic EFI map, made to fit s bike similar to yours with mods similar to the ones you installed. It could work great, or it could be off a little. There is nothing wrong with it. It's like buying clothes off a rack Vs having clothes made to fit. It also costs about half or a little more than half of a decent tuner.

Buying the right tuner requires that you know what you need, and more importantly, what you will need in the future.

For example, if you plan to only do the stage 1 mods (exhaust and intake), either buy a download, or better, buy a Vance and Hines FuelPak. Alternatively, you could install a piggyback tuner (Power Commander) or Xied enricheners.

If you plan to go with stage 2, 3 or 4 mods, buy the tuner that supports the requirement (Like a PowerVision or MasterTune.)

Old 02-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Philly1200
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Read these, ignore the bitching.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...oad-works.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...load-crap.html

The dealer download is nothing more than a generic EFI map, made to fit s bike similar to yours with mods similar to the ones you installed. It could work great, or it could be off a little. There is nothing wrong with it. It's like buying clothes off a rack Vs having clothes made to fit. It also costs about half or a little more than half of a decent tuner.

Buying the right tuner requires that you know what you need, and more importantly, what you will need in the future.

For example, if you plan to only do the stage 1 mods (exhaust and intake), either buy a download, or better, buy a Vance and Hines FuelPak. Alternatively, you could install a piggyback tuner (Power Commander) or Xied enricheners.

If you plan to go with stage 2, 3 or 4 mods, buy the tuner that supports the requirement (Like a PowerVision or MasterTune.)
ok, great info. thanks. A few questions arise...

1. With a stage I, do you need to buy any aftermarket parts or do they simply hook the bike up, push a couple buttons, and call it good? is this the same as installing an Xied by myself?

2. Say you I buy a tuner, is it a true statement that the bike has to be dyno'd when you install a tuner? i.e. you are buying the tuner, plus paying for a dyno tune to program the tuner?

Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly1200
ok, great info. thanks. A few questions arise...

1. With a stage I, do you need to buy any aftermarket parts or do they simply hook the bike up, push a couple buttons, and call it good? is this the same as installing an Xied by myself?

2. Say you I buy a tuner, is it a true statement that the bike has to be dyno'd when you install a tuner? i.e. you are buying the tuner, plus paying for a dyno tune to program the tuner?
1. The stage 1 download is a simple event. Plug the bike into their computer and send s file to the ECM. Simple and fast.

Xied devices are small resistors that attach to the sensors on your exhaust pipe. They fool the system into providing s richer mix. They are not a "tune" or "map" but they work as a band-aid. They work really well for some people, so don't discount the idea.

2. This depends on the tuner. It's a trick question. However, the PowerVision and MasterTune have a self tuning mode. Read the link from DK for more on tuners. It's a lot of info.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

This is a subject that gets a very wide range of answers! To be frank there is no substitute to spending a little time reading through some of the umpteen threads on this subject, to find the sort of replies that closest match your feelings! I have a carb bike with a dyno tune which rides unbelievable well - the dyno tune was well worth the expense to me.

On my Buell I have a Dobeck EFI tuner, a simple add-on device, but the only mods are a race air filter and aftermarket muffler. Before I added the Dobeck the bike popped and banged on the over-run and would frighten old ladies and small children. After fitting it starts more easily, idles more smoothly, pulls away more smoothly and hardly pops at all now. So that's an example of how your bike may run and what a suitable tuner can do.

Those changes have been achieved by richening the fuel to the bike. A dealer download will only do that while also complying with EPA regulations. In other words it may make the bike run a bit better. What a suitable tuner does is enable you to optimise fuelling throughout the engine rev range, which can give significant improvements in both performance and the way the bike rides.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,776 Likes on 1,010 Posts

As far as changing the exhaust its R&R . I see you live in the Philadelphia area and your lucky because one of the best tuners around is close by. I would check him out if I were you.
Chuck Appenzeller
5426 Bristol-Emilie rd.
Levittown Pa
515 945 0232
WWW.throttle-city.com
Check his web site out