Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man the service guys at the dealer near me are awesome. So I asked them if its possible. At first the counter guy was like we can try to program the bcm to be keyless and if it doesn't work we won't charge you anything. He said they just haven't tried it before since keyless was new for sportsters in 2014. Then he said actually, let me just get your number and we will try it on a showroom floor model and I'll call you with the results. So regardless, its all a matter of programming the bcm to be keyless. Anxiously awaiting his call. He said give him a couple hours.

Last edited by Airframer; 02-13-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airframer
So regardless, its all a matter of programming the bcm to be keyless.
It can't be.

The ignition switch is a physical switch. If it's off, it stops current flow. You can't "reprogram" around that. At a bare minimum you'll also either have to wire in whatever Harley uses to replace the ignition switch if you want to get keyless operation or somehow short the ignition switch permanently into the "run" position.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:12 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

It would be interesting to see if you can wire up a switch from a softail or something. I was given one when I left the shop my 48, and when I went to lunch and tried to turn it off, there were no keys in the bike at all. Freaked me out until I figured its just a lock to turn the switch, not for the ignition.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Airframer
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
It can't be.

The ignition switch is a physical switch. If it's off, it stops current flow. You can't "reprogram" around that. At a bare minimum you'll also either have to wire in whatever Harley uses to replace the ignition switch if you want to get keyless operation or somehow short the ignition switch permanently into the "run" position.
You are correct good sir. There was no programming it. Only possible way to figure it out would be to look at a keyless model next to a keyed model to compair wiring. Service guy said if he gets a chance he will call Milwaukie and ask but we will see. They are always slammed. Bummer.

Last edited by Airframer; 02-13-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Airframer
Tourer

I would be interested if someone with a keyless model had time next time they take their tank off to snap a picture of the connectors that come from the right switches so I could see the color of wires. There are two connectors under the gas tank from the wires for the handle bar start and kill switch on the keyed model.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 Iron. I thought if you get the smart security system you could run your bike with out the key. I've installed it on my bike, the dealer programmed the FOBS, just got home and messing with it trying to figure out how to run it with out the key with out success. Starts fine with the key and I see the alarm arming and disarming itself. Am I missing something? Is there more required for key-less ignitions than just the smart security system?
I can run mine with neither a key nor fob, by entering in a dealer-supplied code.

Last edited by rdunnill; 02-15-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Airframer
Tourer

Originally Posted by rdunnill
I can run mine with neither a key nor fob, by entering in a dealer-supplied code.
Not really what I'm talking about but thanks anyways. I have another idea planned and when parts get here we will see if I can make it work. I actually might like it more than turning the bike on at the handlebars like the factory keyless.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM
tloc1000
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got a 2011 with a fob and key. I would like to take the ignition key switch out and replace it with a hidden toggle switch and use the fob for security.

Would I just need to replace the ignition switch or would there be more rewiring for the fob?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Airframer
Tourer

Originally Posted by tloc1000
I've got a 2011 with a fob and key. I would like to take the ignition key switch out and replace it with a hidden toggle switch and use the fob for security.

Would I just need to replace the ignition switch or would there be more rewiring for the fob?
You can remove the keyed ignition switch and replace it with a switch. You would lose ACC function though unless you found a switch that supported that. Give me a week or so and I'll post if what I have planned will work. I'm going to have to fab a mounting point for the switch I ordered and it should be the best solution. I'm waiting to release information till I have it functioning or it could be pointless for someone to read through all the writ-ups on it and then it not work... I'm also going to post it under a new thread when I get it complete should it work.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 AM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really what I'm talking about but thanks anyways. I have another idea planned and when parts get here we will see if I can make it work. I actually might like it more than turning the bike on at the handlebars like the factory keyless.
I get it now: your Iron isn't equipped with keyless ignition.

I'm not sure if it can be retrofitted, or (like ABS) it has to be factory installed.

Quick Reply: Smart Security System