Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

way to find dealer cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Commonwealth
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default way to find dealer cost

Is it possible to find out what the dealer pays for bikes and how much there mark up is?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
BentZero
Cruiser
Default RE: way to find dealer cost

Subscribing just to hear the answer, but even then I don't think knowing that will help you much.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd rather not know 'dealer cost'....

It's bad enough having to pay whatever they ask for bikes and accessories without knowing how much youhad to payover cost.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While your at find the dealers accountant and get the total dealership overhead, and then You'll truely know the profit margin. If the bike you like is too much money either pick a different dealer, a different bike, or get a used one.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
RoadKingRon
Advanced

I know what dealer cost is on touring models, because I once saw the book in a GM's office. they werer making about $3500 on e-glides.

It was kind of funny, the book actually said CONFIDENTIAL on it.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm sure, like auto dealers, the cost to the dealer is a sliding scale based on volumes by model. Knowing the "actual cost" to the dealer will never be known because of what Hagar the Horrible mentions. Cost of the bike to the dealer is but a part of marketing the machines. Employees, health care, brick and mortar, taxes, insurance, advertising, etc. If you like the Harley line as I do, negotiate the best deal you can, but keep in mind, the dealer's cost for the machine is but a fraction of his costs to deliver you the bike.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
BentZero
Cruiser

If anything try to get some freebies or discounts on accessories. In my state, SC, there's a cap on tax when buying the bike, so it's also a good idea to roll in as many accessories as you can afford when you purchase.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Commonwealth
Novice

Per Ron's statement and assuming the average e-glide is $18000 then the mark up is roughly 20%. That is all I was looking to get an idea about. I would like to know why it is not possible to purchase directly from the manufacturer? cut the middle man right out of the deal. I am not trying to deny anyone there livelyhood but I sure dont want to pay anymore than I have to for a bike. Just like the dealer is trying to get me to pay as much as possible so as to increase there profit. I work hard for my money and want it to go as far as possible. Finding out as much information ahead of time will only help in negotiating with them. I also understand the dealer has overhead and operating costs and this comes out of the profit margin on the bike, but they also make money on every other aspect of support for the purchase which must be included in there bottom line.I do not look at the dealer as a friend, the whole sales set up creates a confrontational situation.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
rbcss
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

I'm sure, like auto dealers, the cost to the dealer is a sliding scale based on volumes by model. Knowing the "actual cost" to the dealer will never be known because of what Hagar the Horrible mentions. Cost of the bike to the dealer is but a part of marketing the machines. Employees, health care, brick and mortar, taxes, insurance, advertising, etc. If you like the Harley line as I do, negotiate the best deal you can, but keep in mind, the dealer's cost for the machine is but a fraction of his costs to deliver you the bike.
and don't forget the intress rate they have to pay every month on all the non-sold bikes. and paying the employeesthrough the non busy months. they have x a mount of months to make a profit to carry everybody through the slow months.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
XLer8
Advanced

It could never work that way. If you cut out the dealers, you have nobody to do warranty work on the bikes.

Quick Reply: way to find dealer cost