Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo relocation questions for those who have

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Speedo relocation questions for those who have

I wanting to know before I buy a speedo relo kit what everyone's experience has been? Obviously I can see that it looks great. But has anyone encountered any issues that they may not have thought about before installation? How has the vibration affected the mount? Loosened at all? Has the top bar clamp held as good as the factory?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:29 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,524 Likes on 801 Posts

I used the RSD mount when I had my Iron. Worked very well, just make sure you opt for the LED indicator lights too. Threadlock the bolts and vibration shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:17 AM
t0nnn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an "Autometer 3209" off ebay for about $13 shipped. Works great...no vibration issues. I can see 20mph to 70mph on the angle it's sitting now. Ended up using double sided sticky tape to secure the dummy lights on my riser clamp for the time being.

Don't know if you're looking for an actual relocation kit, but this worked great for me and a lot of other people ...it's also under $15

Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer

I hadn't thought of this. How did you mount it? Got any pictures? You used the 5"?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:11 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegasmatt
I wanting to know before I buy a speedo relo kit what everyone's experience has been? Obviously I can see that it looks great. But has anyone encountered any issues that they may not have thought about before installation? How has the vibration affected the mount? Loosened at all? Has the top bar clamp held as good as the factory?
Kevin(the K in DK) has the Speedometer Relocation on his Sporty. He hasn't had any issues nor have we had any reports of vibrating affecting the mount.

We also have a Speedometer & Indicator Lights Relocation Kit

Also available are Black & Chrome Top Clamps for models that have the stock speedo bracket built into the Top Clamp.

Hope this helps
Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer

Sweet, I've been a customer with you guys several times but am not sold on whether or not I'll like it. Hate to burn $120+ then maybe not like it.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,993 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegasmatt
Sweet, I've been a customer with you guys several times but am not sold on whether or not I'll like it. Hate to burn $120+ then maybe not like it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. There has been more than a few times that I thought I wanted something, but did not end up liking it.

This vid might give you more of a feel for it, to see if you might like it.

Clamps hold tight, bracket holds tight. Lifetime Warranty. There are many options for placement, to fit different desires in relo.....

BUT, the bottom line is that the Speedo is in a different location. Some like it, others don't.

When I first installed it, I liked the cleaner look, but I did NOT like that it was not where it was "supposed to be". I was too used to looking at the space at the bottom of the handlebars for speed, odometer, etc.

But within a month, the new location became second nature, for me. However, I am sure there are many who just prefer to have the speedo front & center. Hopefully the vid will help you know which way You would like better.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Another option is autometer clamps on the fork.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yeah, I know what you mean. There has been more than a few times that I thought I wanted something, but did not end up liking it.

This vid might give you more of a feel for it, to see if you might like it.

Clamps hold tight, bracket holds tight. Lifetime Warranty. There are many options for placement, to fit different desires in relo.....

BUT, the bottom line is that the Speedo is in a different location. Some like it, others don't.

When I first installed it, I liked the cleaner look, but I did NOT like that it was not where it was "supposed to be". I was too used to looking at the space at the bottom of the handlebars for speed, odometer, etc.

But within a month, the new location became second nature, for me. However, I am sure there are many who just prefer to have the speedo front & center. Hopefully the vid will help you know which way You would like better.
Thanks for the info

Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM
PSU
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

image by PSUUUUU, on Flickr

DK bracket with no indicator lights.

I like it.. but then again I'm a fan of the bare minimum.

Quick Reply: Speedo relocation questions for those who have