Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picking up Harley windshield tomorow

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007 | 01:57 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: picking up Harley windshield tomorow

I have the quick detach weenie shield. I hate the thing, but I love it on long interstate trips.

But you can bet, when I get to my destination, after I get off the bike, that shield is the very next thing that comes off the bike. It spends most of the time, in a protective cover in the garage.

Old 04-19-2007 | 02:27 PM
gilmour68
Road Master

Zeb,
How does the compact windshield work out for you? A salesman at a stealership told me the sport windshield would likely throw much of the diverted air right into your face. The next step up in size would be the compact version. I really don't think they look all that great on a sporty, but I don't exactly enjoy fighting the wind on the interstate either. So the compact would be my choice. I'm about 5'9", do you thinkthe airwould hit me in the face...

Old 04-19-2007 | 02:49 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior

I've got the std. hgt. detachable which is great and only comes off for short rides around town (and in warmer weather). The short shields throw the air right in your face and causes helmet lift (if your wearing a half helmet).

Old 04-19-2007 | 10:00 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

I have noticed that gas mileage takes a dump with the W/S on!

Tom

Old 04-19-2007 | 10:28 PM
Zeb
Road Master

"Zeb,
How does the compact windshield work out for you? A salesman at a stealership told me the sport windshield would likely throw much of the diverted air right into your face. The next step up in size would be the compact version. I really don't think they look all that great on a sporty, but I don't exactly enjoy fighting the wind on the interstate either. So the compact would be my choice. I'm about 5'9", do you think the air would hit me in the face...
It depends on how you adjust it. The 'standard' for a windshield is to adjust the top of the windshield at about nose height, but it's really a personal thing.

The one thing bad about a larger windshield is on windy days on a freeway and the sometimes crosswinds that are created by all the traffic and vortexes on a freeway. Sometimes a vortex can catch you just right from any side and create some unsual buffeting and shaking, and sometimesa larger windshieldcan interfere on some high-speed curves by acting with a spoiler-like effect and keeping you more upright when you're looking for more lean angle (or at least it feels that way some times).

Usually, though, they're pretty nice. I have mine a little lower than nose height, and it does just fine, but it's a personal choice, the 'standard' being the nose height position. Just go a little slower for awhilewhen you get it to get familiar with it's handling,first, and be especially attentive on that first high-speed curve; you may not be able to take it as fast at first so keep away from the outside of the lane on the curves until you are used to it, so you don't end up accidentlystraying over the center line andcrapping your pants in the process.

Old 04-20-2007 | 12:11 AM
gilmour68
Road Master

Thanks for your replies. Zeb, if you have a compact shield, how does it compare (height wise) to a standard shield? Also, how do you adjust the height of the shield -- I'm assuming that the positioning on the upper tree allows for some shifting up and down. Is there also some tilt adjustment??? Forgive me if I'm asking "stupid" questions, I've yet to really investigate the various windshields available. I've yet to ask anyone at a stealership, but has anyone found a "demo unit"that a stealer will allowyou try on your bike before purchasing one? I'd really like to try one to see how they look andfeel before I buy one.

Old 04-20-2007 | 12:38 AM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gilmour68

Thanks for your replies. Zeb, if you have a compact shield, how does it compare (height wise) to a standard shield? Also, how do you adjust the height of the shield -- I'm assuming that the positioning on the upper tree allows for some shifting up and down. Is there also some tilt adjustment??? Forgive me if I'm asking "stupid" questions, I've yet to really investigate the various windshields available. I've yet to ask anyone at a stealership, but has anyone found a "demo unit"that a stealer will allowyou try on your bike before purchasing one? I'd really like to try one to see how they look andfeel before I buy one.

"Thanks for your replies. Zeb, if you have a compact shield, how does it compare (height wise) to a standard shield? "
I'm not sure, but I think the only diffference is the width of the two. There is a low profile compact version, though, I believe. If the larger touring ones are longer too, it would be only slightly, I believe.

As for adjusting its height, that is done by sliding the clamps up or down on the forks where it is mounted. At least that's all I can remember for now. There may be a second way as well, but I don't think so.

As for tilt variations, I would have to look and see, cause I don't remember, but it's too dark out now and I don't feel like going outside and uncovering my bike and looking at it tonight. But I'll let you know later.

I don't know anything about demo units, but it couldn't hurt to ask a Harley dealer. They're usually pretty casual and they might have an old one laying around somewhere, or a bike with one already on that they might let you try out. Some of them may come with a peel-off film anyway, if I remember correctly, to keep them from getting scratched until you buy it and install it, so maybe they'll let you try one out like that; I don't know

Old 04-20-2007 | 12:51 AM
gilmour68
Road Master

Thanks Zeb.