Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The only thing lacking in a Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:03 AM
tplyons
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The only thing lacking in a Sportster...

If they come out with a 6 speed, there'd better be an 07 conversion kit

I think it would be nice with six, to set new gear ratios, one better for cruising for chicks, and spread the rest out so 80's a breeze.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 883's would benefit more from the 6th gear than the 1200's. But if they lowered at least the first and the second gear of the 1200, then perhaps there wouldn't be as many complaints from 1200 users in not being able to putt around slowly in first as well.[/align][/align]The 1200, although not too good in first gear apparently as some have complained in other threads in this forum, has numerous advantages in its engine size and gearing, seeing how the combination of the two give it a nicer in-city cruise range in 3rd and 4th, and of course on the highway its higher 5th gear ratio compared to an 883's 5th gear ratiomakes it nice there as well.[/align][/align]My 883 Harley owners manualrecommends to shift from 3rd into 4th at 35 (don't gasp, 1200 owners), and 4th into 5th at 45. Now, I have a '98, but as I understand it it's pretty much the same or close across the board for most Evolution 883's. I know very little about the new fuel injected models, however.[/align][/align]My 883 cruises real nice at 65 on the freeway, but it certainly could cruise just as nice in many circumstances at 65 in a higher 6th gear as well, and get better gas mileage to boot.[/align][/align]I truly think that Harley has designed a 6th gear for the Sporties for many years, but has just sat on it until the day sales begin to slump, so they could use it as a great promo and sales booster. I truly think we'll see such a version within the next 10 years or so, hopefully sooner.[/align][/align]It's possible they also have withheld making them in Sportsters so that people will spend more bucs on the big twins to get a 6th gear; I don't know. I think with gas at $3.00 a gallon these days and rising, however, a 6th gear would be very beneficial to most Sportster riders who ride on the freeways.[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

I like 'em the way they are with the 5 speed, although, I wouldnt mind seeing them shake things up by stepping up to a 1400cc with 6 gears and label it a Screamin Eagle Sportster. That would boost some sales, not like they really need to though......
"Screamin' Eagle Sportster," I like the sound of that; although I would rather see a high performance 1300 than a 1400, seeing how the number 13 is a rebellious number to many bikers and others, and would lend to the rebellious character of a Sporty, IMO.[/align][/align]Also, I wouldn't want to see a Sportster with bigger guns than many of the big twins. I like the small twins and the fact that the Sportster uses them to blow therunning boardsoff of the big twins.[/align][/align]"Screamin' Eagle Sportster," they'd sell a million of them.[/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

I am always looking for that 6th gear, especially cruiseing 6o and above. I think it would be nice and if it were an option I would order it.

Tom

Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
whitetrash
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already got it,it's called a superglide

Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
tplyons
Tourer

Ooh, I'm liking the idea of the Screamin Eagle Sporty as well. Gimme one in a flat black or black pearl, 6 speed tranny,lots of chrome, and a bobtail fender, and I'll love you forever.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
tplyons
Tourer

My 883 Harley owners manualrecommends to shift from 3rd into 4th at 35 (don't gasp, 1200 owners), and 4th into 5th at 45. Now, I have a '98, but as I understand it it's pretty much the same or close across the board for most Evolution 883's. I know very little about the new fuel injected models, however.
My manual recommends the same shift points for my fuel injected 883.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeb

ORIGINAL: WarriorHD

I like 'em the way they are with the 5 speed, although, I wouldnt mind seeing them shake things up by stepping up to a 1400cc with 6 gears and label it a Screamin Eagle Sportster. That would boost some sales, not like they really need to though......
"Screamin' Eagle Sportster," I like the sound of that; although I would rather see a high performance 1300 than a 1400, seeing how the number 13 is a rebellious number to many bikers and others, and would lend to the rebellious character of a Sporty, IMO.[/align][/align]Also, I wouldn't want to see a Sportster with bigger guns than many of the big twins. I like the small twins and the fact that the Sportster uses them to blow therunning boardsoff of the big twins.[/align][/align]"Screamin' Eagle Sportster," they'd sell a million of them.[/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]
Sportster SE"Screamin' Eagle"
or
Sportster SSE "Six Speed Edition"

Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from a 650+ mile ride, nothing to complain about, gas mileage was around 50 on the interstate, never felt like I needed another gear, the 883 seemed to be at it's best around 75-80, smoothed out at those speeds considerably, can't imagine what another gear would be good for. Lower RPM's yea, but then it wouldn't be in it's power band as well. No complaints at all.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zeb

BTW, there would be less vibration for the 883's on the freeway as well, if they could keep the R's down with a 6th gear.
What vibration you talkin about, my 883 is smoother at Highway speeds than any other speed. I know what the manual says for shift points, I never shift into 5th at 45 mph, never, the 883 loves it's higher RPM's and HD says it has a rev limiter, keep the r's up, don't lug it.
You'll never see different tranny's for the 883 and the 1200, that would cost the MoCo to much money, the 6th gear is coming, sometime, but the trann'y for both bikes will be the same. If you want lower rpm's on a 883, get the sprocket form a 1200

Quick Reply: The only thing lacking in a Sportster...