Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sportster 72 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015 | 11:38 PM
Steventylerc
|
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I don't see any engine work or head work in there. You could gain a lot with some high compression pistons and head work to match those cams.

The rubbermount's can support up to .550" lift while the solidmounts could only support .500" in stock valvetrain form. If you're running an 883 head, you need to verify cam selection to make sure you don't get valve-to-valve contact. This starts to be an issue at about .220" TDC lift.

If you run a big cam without higher compression or headwork, you start to have problems because of the aforementioned clearances but also because the cams bleed off the compression and could cause you to lose power/torque if not properly matched to your engine.
It is a 1200 I went with the Andrews n8 .500 lift because the guy at Harley said if I go over a .510 lift i would start having contact issues .and it was the biggest bolt on cam that would go in a stock engine.. I went with cams well because I was already powder coating the covers and tight on money because I broke my foot drinking cold beer raising hell with my buddy's .. For three hundred bucks did the work myself and was hoping the bike would run alittle better .. Wasn't expecting a whole lot .. Just was curious ... My buddy has a 1200 nightster his cam lift is like .560 or something like that the cam manufacture said they would work .. Without doing head work ...he hasn't finished his yet just installed the cams ...... So I'm trying to figure out who's telling the truth lol ..

Old 01-28-2015 | 02:29 PM
Skitzer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steventylerc
I got a sportster 72 wasn't going to do anything to it ... But then winter hit I found my self being pretty bored so I decided to do alittle transformation .. Broke my foot right before I started haha ended up without a paycheck .. But once you start something like this it's pretty hard to stop so I managed to hop around get it done .. Still have quit a bit more to do but it's coming together .. Tried posting pics of whole project haven't figured it out yet ... Any ways ... Daymaker .. Andrews n8 cams .. Powder coat .. Bigger white walls rims off a nightster .. Upgraded Harley speedo .. Burly slammer 10.5 shocks.. Willie and max swing arm bag .. Willie g derby and timing cover .. Made tank lift brackets my self out of some stuff I had laying around I relocated my ignition switch left coil haha need to buy bracket but still look alright .. The cam lift is .500 I don't remember duration .. Haven't gotten the dyno tune .. Ran out of stuff to sell lma lol to finish the bike !!
Nice, I like everything you did except getting rid of the 21" wheel. Man, that's one of the things that set the 72 out from the others.
I love the looks of the 21" wheel on my 02!
Not thrilled with the slammers but they do look cool and it is your back after all.
Can't wait to see what else you do to her

Old 01-31-2015 | 07:51 AM
rebelraider
Intermediate

Nice job, cant wait to start on mine. Have a few ideas but the extra money will come a little slow for it so it may be an extended project.

Old 02-01-2015 | 04:07 PM
Steventylerc
|
5th Gear
Default new pic

Heres an updated pic its different ...

Attached Thumbnails My sportster 72 project-img_0029.jpg