Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed: Primo Rivera LED Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by enomis
was this a pretty easy install?
Yes. You just remove headlight trim ring, unplug old light from plug, then plug in new light and put back in housing and reattach trim ring.

If you want to use the small led lights as running or blinker, you have to piggy back off a power lead which I still have yet to do.

You should re-align the new light though so you're not blinding oncoming cars.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM
capttxrngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself have looked at all the differnet LED lights out there. Money being the biggest issue. I found a LED H4 bulb from Fuel Moto for $70. I compared it to my wife's stock light and my HID light and it is brighter than both. And the plus is if it goes bad I can pop in a regular bulb until I get a new one.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:33 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by capttxrngr
I myself have looked at all the differnet LED lights out there. Money being the biggest issue. I found a LED H4 bulb from Fuel Moto for $70. I compared it to my wife's stock light and my HID light and it is brighter than both. And the plus is if it goes bad I can pop in a regular bulb until I get a new one.

There is absolutely no reason why the new HD's shouldn't come with something competitive to this from the factory or even their Daymaker. What would it cost them? An extra 10 bucks for the LED bulb or 75 for the Daymaker? I for one love riding at night.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Not near as pretty, but half the price and promise to be dang bright: www.candlepower.com . Just ordered for $77 includes shipping.

Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 64205 1 19.00
H4 bulb 64205

Candlepower 5 3/4" "Super H4022LRBL_and_Gasket 1 45.00
Brite" Motorcycle Lens
Reflector (No Bulb)
(Shipped)

Last edited by Rumblin; 01-30-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kngpn
There is absolutely no reason why the new HD's shouldn't come with something competitive to this from the factory or even their Daymaker. What would it cost them? An extra 10 bucks for the LED bulb or 75 for the Daymaker? I for one love riding at night.
Agreed, although there are quite a few things that could be so much better for a few bucks extra, like suspension!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:23 AM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capttxrngr
It is not possible to get a legal beam pattern from that bulb.

Headlamps are not simply floodlights. The placement and shape of the light source are critical for creating a proper beam pattern and it is physically impossible for an "LED H4" bulb to have it's light source in the same place, the same size, and the same shape as the filament in a traditional H4 bulb.

While the lumen output is indeed higher than the halogen bulb, the resulting beam pattern from using this bulb is illegal for on-road use.

There is a reason why the factory LED headlamps have an entirely new housing and reflector/lens setup. This is because reflectors and lenses are specifically tailored to the bulbs used and cannot function properly with a different bulb.

If you want to use an LED light on public roads, the only legal option is to replace the entire housing with one designed specifically for LED bulbs. Simply dropping an "LED H4" bulb into a housing designed for a filament bulb will never produce a legal beam pattern and will never be DOT compliant.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
deeznutz
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question: Did you have any issues adjusting the aim? I installed this too, but I can't seem to get a good a good high beam "spot" to aim on the adjusting line (35" high from 25' away). Not 100% happy w/ the lighting so far...I know it needs adjusting, but my high beam "spot" isn't defined enough to adjust the aim per the service manual. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
It is not possible to get a legal beam pattern from that bulb.

Headlamps are not simply floodlights. The placement and shape of the light source are critical for creating a proper beam pattern and it is physically impossible for an "LED H4" bulb to have it's light source in the same place, the same size, and the same shape as the filament in a traditional H4 bulb.

While the lumen output is indeed higher than the halogen bulb, the resulting beam pattern from using this bulb is illegal for on-road use.

There is a reason why the factory LED headlamps have an entirely new housing and reflector/lens setup. This is because reflectors and lenses are specifically tailored to the bulbs used and cannot function properly with a different bulb.

If you want to use an LED light on public roads, the only legal option is to replace the entire housing with one designed specifically for LED bulbs. Simply dropping an "LED H4" bulb into a housing designed for a filament bulb will never produce a legal beam pattern and will never be DOT compliant.

who cares, any aftermarket exhaust isn't dot compliant either else manufactures would put louder exhausts on from the factory. but no one cares.

the led bulb is a direct replacement, it will produce the same beam pattern as a halogen, just brighter.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
any aftermarket exhaust isn't dot compliant either
Technically true, but only because there's no such thing as a "DOT compliant" exhaust. DOT doesn't regulate exhausts.

There are, however, many, many, many options available for EPA and CARB approved "street legal" exhausts that meet the EPA noise requirements. Harley's own catalogue has pages of street-legal aftermarket exhausts.

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
the led bulb is a direct replacement, it will produce the same beam pattern as a halogen, just brighter.
No, it absolutely will NOT "produce the same beam pattern." That's not how optics work.

The light source is a completely different shape and the LEDs are not in anything even close to the same location as the halogen bulb's filament. Being out of position by even a millimeter is enough to significantly alter the beam pattern, and the positioning of the LED units in the bulb described is several millimeters away from the position of a halogen bulb's filament, to say nothing of the vastly different shape of the light source (LED point source vs. the filament's long, thin coil of light). The only way a person can assume the beam pattern would be the same is if that person has absolutely zero understanding of how optics actually work.

Even if the bulb did have the same shape and position for the light sources (which it just plain doesn't), simply throwing more lumens into the same reflector is a recipe for blinding oncoming drivers at night.

The reflector is designed to throw a certain percentage of the bulb's light into each area of the beam. Let's say a theoretical housing is designed for a 1,000 lumen bulb and the "hot spot" part of the beam (the main area of brightness) has a maximum value of 1,100 lumens to avoid blinding other drivers. Because there are also minimum requirements for areas to the side of the hot spot, realistically a housing designed for this 1,000 lumen bulb will likely put about 75% of the light in the hot spot, with the rest distributed to the sides.

Now, if you put a 2,000 lumen LED bulb into that housing, you'd have 1,500 lumens in the hot spot of the beam. Well over the legal limit and a significant risk of blinding other drivers.

So even if it produced the same beam pattern (which is physically impossible), it would only be a good idea if you're an ******* who doesn't care about blinding other drivers.

I'll say it again: The only legal option is to replace the entire housing with one designed specifically for LED bulbs.

Last edited by Zenmervolt; 03-08-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for write up. Been thinking of going with this on my Springer. I’m doing so to eliminate the stock turn signals. Not required in my state to have turns, and the bike looks much better without, but I do like having them when riding in traffic.

Quick Reply: Installed: Primo Rivera LED Headlight