Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s HEAR what you got! Post your exhaust sound videos...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

hscic, What Tuner are you using to tune your bike? What year and model do you have?

Last edited by Outtakes; 02-22-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Here's a vid of some experimenting we did with some Short Shots.

We hadn't put the heat shield on yet when we did the vid.

We will be doing some timed runs as soon as the freezing rain and snow stops ...want to see if the V&H is stronger than the modded stock exhaust.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 02-22-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Outtakes
hscic, What Tuner are you using to tune your bike? What year and model do you have?
I use ViEds on my 2011 Sportster Low XL1200L. I already have aftermarket slip ons with DK Customs W158 torque inserts which runs perfectly but going with a bigger exhaust/baffles for better sound and performance. You can check out the video of my current set-up somewhere in this thread.

Last edited by hscic; 02-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Here's a vid of some experimenting we did with some Short Shots.

We hadn't put the heat shield on yet when we did the vid.

We will be doing some timed runs as soon as the freezing rain and snow stops ...want to see if the V&H is stronger than the modded stock exhaust.

DK Custom Products Short Shot V&H Exhaust Thunder Torque Inserts TTI - YouTube

Kevin, in the vid you placed W118 in the muff with baffles which appeared to be small for the pipe then you used a W158 without baffles.

With my 3" muff and 2" baffle (which should already reduce reversion), perhaps all I need is the W158 (instead of the W258) so I do not quiet down the muffs. My objective is loud with deep tone. I can see using the 258 if I took out the baffle. I know you already recommended the W258 even if I go 2" but the video had a smaller TTI which appeared to be smaller than the diameter of the baffle. Any thoughts? I know sound is subjective, but will the 158s provide a louder rumble than 258s? Don't want to quiet the bike down which is why I went with larger diameter slip-ons and baffles than I have now.

Last edited by hscic; 02-22-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Fubar718
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chris_b_owens
I want these so badly

Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Kevin, in the vid you placed W118 in the muff with baffles which appeared to be small for the pipe then you used a W158 without baffles.

With my 3" muff and 2" baffle (which should already reduce reversion), perhaps all I need is the W158 (instead of the W258) so I do not quiet down the muffs. My objective is loud with deep tone. I can see using the 258 if I took out the baffle. I know you already recommended the W258 even if I go 2" but the video had a smaller TTI which appeared to be smaller than the diameter of the baffle. Any thoughts? I know sound is subjective, but will the 158s provide a louder rumble than 258s? Don't want to quiet the bike down which is why I went with larger diameter slip-ons and baffles than I have now.

The Short Shots are right on the edge...a W118 works well with them with a baffle. The W158 works better with no baffle.

With your set-up, I would use a W258 either way...with or without the baffle. The nice thing about the TTI's is you can rotate them a little if you need more air flow (and more noise) when using a larger TTI with the baffle.

My understanding is that you don't want to remove the baffle and then have to put it back in each year for inspection. But you do want as big and deep a sound as possible. This is why I recommended to you the 2.25" baffles with the W258. But you can get close to that with the 2" baffles and the W258 just slightly rotated.

As I pointed out, the 2" baffles are going to detract a little bit from your WOT, but other than that will be very similar.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

The Short Shots are right on the edge...a W118 works well with them with a baffle. The W158 works better with no baffle.

With your set-up, I would use a W258 either way...with or without the baffle. The nice thing about the TTI's is you can rotate them a little if you need more air flow (and more noise) when using a larger TTI with the baffle.

My understanding is that you don't want to remove the baffle and then have to put it back in each year for inspection. But you do want as big and deep a sound as possible. This is why I recommended to you the 2.25" baffles with the W258. But you can get close to that with the 2" baffles and the W258 just slightly rotated.

As I pointed out, the 2" baffles are going to detract a little bit from your WOT, but other than that will be very similar.
Got it. Thank you.

Rush recommended the 2" over the 2.25" for my bike even after stating my objectives. I went with the 2" since I had concerns with the possible difficulty tuning with ViEDs (versus a tuner) and the larger baffles. I will run the pipes with and without the 258s (rotating the cone) and assess to achieve best sound and performance.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Hate to hijack but since you're johnny on the spot with advice

I bought some w158's for my Python Throwbacks in an attempt to lower the volume a little (Dyna Street Bob). Right now I have them with the "dish side" facing outside and the welded threaded side inside the pipe. Any suggestions on best practices from a volume stand point? Also, at idle they don't seem to make much of a difference but with the ice on the ground I haven't been able to take it out for a spin, think they may mellow a bit once I ride? I did put some stainless steel brush behind them for now just to muffle a little bit. We'll see if I need to keep it in there or if it affects performance too much.

Thanks as always for the great products!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The S/E Head pipes with the American Custom Bullet Mufflers, with the Modified Baffles Have turned into the perfect setup for me. Theres plenty of low and mid range power and no popping or backfiring. There is no need to use any inserts to bring back any power. I'm using this set up on my 2012, 1200cc converted Iron. With a P/V Tuner and a Hammer intake.

Last edited by Outtakes; 04-16-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Outtakes
The S/E Head pipes with the American Custom Bullet Mufflers, with the Gronk Super plus Baffles Have turned into the perfect setup for me. Theres plenty of low and mid range power and no popping or backfiring. There is no need to use any inserts to bring back any power. I'm using this set up on my 2012, 1200cc converted Iron. With a P/V Tuner and a Hammer intake. I will put it on the Dyno this Spring to make sure its all good. I couldn't be happier with this setup.
Do you have a sound video of your pipes?

Quick Reply: Let’s HEAR what you got! Post your exhaust sound videos...