Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot weather riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
TommyF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot weather riding?

I was just curious about what you guys wear when riding in hot weather. Currently I am in Alaska, but will be moving to Florida in about 3 months. In Alaska you typically wear your heavy leathers, which is fine because the weather feels really nice while riding in them. Granted at stop lights it getsa little warm, but we can take it for a few minutes until the light changes. I wear a full faced H-D FXRG helmet, my thick leather jacket and chaps, riding boots, and leather golves. Since I am in the military I also have to wear an ICON Mil Spec reflective vest. When it's time to ride in Florida I was thinking of getting a H-D mesh riding jacket with pads in the shoulders, arms, and back. I was going to wear my full faced helmet and I was thinking of purchasing some kevlar riding jeans. Am I still going to overheat or will that be ok? I want to continue to ride safe especially in Florida with all of the retirees. Any info is greatly appreciated. Have a great ride!!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser
Default RE: Hot weather riding?

Wow. That is a lot of thought ya got going on there.
I like to wear something simple, but always like to wear some type of jacket. Summer too. I used to do the whole leather jacket thing, but yeah it gets HOT. I now wear just a Dickies type jacket. If it is cold outside, then I do layers, with the Dickies as the outer. I know! It aint the "armor" of many, but it's what I feel comfy, and natural in. Just my personal thing.

Here in So Cal we dont get the bone chilling cold, or the hot humid summer. Were I currently live, we do get in the 100's in the summer though. Makes for AWSOME night rides!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride in upwards of 110 degrees here. Regular jeans, boots a little over the ankle, and a T-shirt is what I wear. I know, I may asking for some body damage, but if I can't be comfortable when I ride, I'll quit.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

Ah, the balance between keeping cool and keeping my skin... have this quandry every summer dirt riding.
I have a heavy nylon dirt-riding jacket which has zippered vents. This works OK, along with dirt-bike gloves and jeans. A leather coat mostly unzipped might be OK too.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
TommyF
Advanced

ORIGINAL: itsshemp

Wow. That is a lot of thought ya got going on there.

Here in So Cal we dont get the bone chilling cold, or the hot humid summer. Were I currently live, we do get in the 100's in the summer though. Makes for AWSOME night rides!
I know its a lot of thought [8D], but I want to be as safe as possible when riding around all of the Florida retirees.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

I hear ya! I live in an area that was ALL retirEzzzz. It has changed in the past years, but is still kinda scary (No offense to those older than me, but ya know what I mean!).

**knock on wood** I find that the safest I can be, is ALERT to my surroundings, and to assume that NO ONE sees me. I dont ride peranoid, but ya know what I mean. I just have to hope that what I am wearing is enough. I want to be comfortable.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

I ride in upwards of 110 degrees here. Regular jeans, boots a little over the ankle, and a T-shirt is what I wear. I know, I may asking for some body damage, but if I can't be comfortable when I ride, I'll quit.
Prety much the same here. You don't say where in FL. your going. There is a difference between S. FL. city stop & go traffic vs. N. FL. panhandle area. I'm in S'. FL. and during mid summer you're talking 95* & close to 100% humidity. Sitting in traffic on a black asphalt road, straddleing a motor that's pushing an oil temp of 225* can be pretty unpleasent if you're in much more than short sleeves & jeans.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

One other thought, off the military base, there is no helmet requirement in FL if you have insurance and you are so inclined.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I regularly ride in 110*+ heat unfortunately.
Get a mesh, get something over your jeans... Layers.
You don't see guys in the desert in shorts and a t-shirt. It's all about reflecting the sun and keeping your body heat at 98.6 instead of cooking it with 100*+ heat. I lived in south FL for 3 years. At the beach, its not too bad ever because of the breeze. Away from the beach, its like a steam room.

Because FL rarely gets over 99* (not sure why... must be a humidity thing)
I'd wear something synthetic, wicking and long sleeve but really light under a mesh jacket and mesh pants with armor all around. Not the best look on a HD, but pretty comfortable. If the pants don't float your boat, jeans and leather. Leather will keep the sun off your skin, jeans will seperate the heat/sweat. Probably loose your cotton underwear as well and wear something synthetic. Nothin worse than your backside being all wet from sweat.

Now on to the military thing. FL may be no helmet, but I'll put money on the fact that if you get injured off base and aren't wearing a helmet you are in for a rude awakening. Anything from denial of medical benefits, demotion, whatever the military throws at people when they are mad.

A quality full face will have a good liner that wicks moisture as well and will be suprisingly comfortable. You can also wet the helmet, wet a bandana and put it on underneath, or buy these rags with gel in them that absorb a boatload of water and really do help cool you.

If you buy a Goldwing, they come with air conditioning

Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

I seen this in a publication I have. The vest is kind of pricey but,

www.coolingapparel.com

Looks pretty cool ............

Tom

Quick Reply: Hot weather riding?