Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot weather riding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM
TommyF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hot weather riding?

You are correct about being in the military. If I get into an accident and Im not wearing my requred PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) than I get no insurance benefits. But I am seperating from the military in 3 months and moving to the Sarasota area in Florida. I still want to wear my full faced helmet and protective equipment though. I just want to be comfortable doing it.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sun glasses, t-shirt, jeans and boots.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 AM
wrenchff1098
Tourer

wait till you get there and do what is comfy for you ....By the way Thanks For Your Service

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 AM
TommyF
Advanced

ORIGINAL: wrenchff1098

....By the way Thanks For Your Service
It has been my pleasure for the last 8 years. Now its time to be greedy and not miss out on anymore of my anniversaries or my daughter's birthdays. I think Im definitely going to wear a mesh H-D jacket with pads as well as my full faced helmet. Has anyone worn a pair of kevlar reinforced jeans while riding?? How are they?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 AM
brauny1
Road Master

Some good advice already, I add that when we have 100+ temps I'll do anything to keep moving!Take the back roads, shaded streets when possible, rideearly or late in the day, etc.Another reason is with a air cooled engine in high temps youwant to avoid the overheating risk as well.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:12 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

I ride in upwards of 110 degrees here. Regular jeans, boots a little over the ankle, and a T-shirt is what I wear. I know, I may asking for some body damage, but if I can't be comfortable when I ride, I'll quit.
It does get hot here in Vegas. And over the years it is getting more humid also, but probably still nothing like the humidity in Florida. I have always worn a t-shirt and levis in the summers here. But a few years ago I developed a malignant melanoma, so now I also wear a heavy sunscreen on my arms.I also wear a full face helmet, with vents, and it is coolor then the 3/4 I used to wear.

Ron

Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 AM
TommyF
Advanced

Awesome replies guys...keep em coming. Thanks for all the input that you have given.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Hops
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TommyF

ORIGINAL: itsshemp

Wow. That is a lot of thought ya got going on there.

Here in So Cal we dont get the bone chilling cold, or the hot humid summer. Were I currently live, we do get in the 100's in the summer though. Makes for AWSOME night rides!
I know its a lot of thought [8D], but I want to be as safe as possible when riding around all of the Florida retirees.
I wouldn't worry just about the retirees, worry about EVERYONE. I drive 400-500 miles every day down here and don't see a lot of old people on the road. There are lots more retards from 16-60on the road than retirees. Like the other guy said, assume no one sees you.As far as what to wear whilst riding, wait till you get here and figure it out, everyone is different.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried a buddy's Phoenix mesh jacket from Joe Rocket and bought one. It is cooler than wearing a t-shirt because it lets the air go through while keeping the sun off your skin. The only warm spot is the foam armor in the back. If you get mesh, get one like the Phoenix that has a zip out wind/waterproof liner. The thing is so cool that you will need a liner in the mornings and evenings.

Helmets in Florida are a challenge. I have a selection from full face to shorty. The helmet of the day depends on the weather and the ride. Just keep plenty of doo-rags to absorb sweat and keep'em smelling sweet. Man, the view out over the bay looks inviting...excuse me but I'm going for a ride.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 AM
DelawareDon
Cruiser

I would seriously consider looking at the Joe Rocket line of jackets. They offer mesh jackets with full padding that are very cool to ride in hot weather, and offer good protection as well. In addition, their products are offered at a very reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Hot weather riding?