Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes and neighbors

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: TheKingsOutlaw

I fire mine up after I get her out of the garage and let her run on full choke while I close the garage and put on my goggles and helmet. Then I push the choke in to 1/2 and ride slow for a mile or two. Then it's off with the choke and on with the ride.

TKO
Why not just put on your gear, fire up the bike and ride away? After you've gone a short distance start working in your choke. Setting there "warming up" is totally unnecessary.
That all depends on how freekin COLD is it. Granted it's certainly not cold right now, but when I start my bike in 20 degree temps, she's gotta have some time to warm up! If not, it will just stall out.
LOL Living in Arizona I don't have that problem.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 PM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

ORIGINAL: TheKingsOutlaw

I fire mine up after I get her out of the garage and let her run on full choke while I close the garage and put on my goggles and helmet. Then I push the choke in to 1/2 and ride slow for a mile or two. Then it's off with the choke and on with the ride.

TKO
Why not just put on your gear, fire up the bike and ride away? After you've gone a short distance start working in your choke. Setting there "warming up" is totally unnecessary.
That all depends on how freekin COLD is it. Granted it's certainly not cold right now, but when I start my bike in 20 degree temps, she's gotta have some time to warm up! If not, it will just stall out.
LOL Living in Arizona I don't have that problem.
What SportyPig saidI really don't care what my neihbors think,with there kids screaming like maniacs all the time and then the others with quads always winding them out running up my alley instead of on trailsThen the guy next door who weighs 400lbs and has a 600cc crotch rocket that looks like a thong on him,he doesn't ride it but around the block and sits in his yard and winds it up so I say f*k em' and crack my pipes sometimes[8D]

Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Nick
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw my neighbor yesterday he said he heard me the other morning I asked if he had heard me any other times...he had not....I have been riding everyday pretty much since I got the thing 5 weeks ago. I live on the corner so get it down in front of my house and pull off quick with the choke on until I get up the road BTW I have to leave at 4am for work....but boy when I leave work I make as much damn racket with it as i can.....[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
FIA289Cobra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have V and H short shots. I just try to keep the RPM low as I leave but I really dont care.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

I would start your bike and then put your gear on. By the time you get a helmet, gloves and maybe a jacket on, the bike should be warm enough to do a low RPM cruse leaving the neighborhood. That way you spend the least amount of time in one spot.

Also try to be a fun and helpful neighbor. Especially with the older ones. They might not like your loud pipes, but if they like eveything else about you, they will tolorate it.

If someone says anything to you, just explain that you know they are loud and you try to spend the least amount of time in the neighborhood that early in the morning.

Your biggest complaints might be with your immedate neighbors. They have to hear it for a minute while the bike warms and you put your gear on.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM
jeramy
Banned

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

Heck, one neighbor, (the one that gets all of the echo from when I pull out of the basement in the mornings), says he uses the start up of my bike and me leaving as his alarm clock.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoid=3878899 saw this and thought of what you said

Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work swing shift so I don't really worry about pissing anyone off when I leave at 3 pm. I get home around 1:30 am. I hit my kill switch a half block away and coast all the way around the corner onto my street and turn up my alley all the way to my garage. No one hears me coming.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
wutisay
Intermediate

The screw-you attitude that some riders have is what's going to have the government mandate quiet bikes. It's coming. Also, just because your neighbors do not complain does not mean you're not annoying the hell out of them. They may be trying to be good neighbors by not complaining. Treat folks the way you want to be treated - works almost every time.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:21 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately that's one of the problems with loud pipes. You might have the best intentions in the world but that one or two minutes you take putting on your gear is enough irritation to wake me up out of a sound sleep and then, not being able to go back to sleep I'm pissed and so I start my lawnmower at 6:00 on Sunday morning to get even and the neighbor across the street runs his coffee can rice burner up and down the street to get even with me and the guy on the other side turns up his stero and pretty soon you have a whole neighborhood of pissed off people showing no respect for anyone.

It's sort-of-like which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 AM
wutisay
Intermediate

Whapp, I liked your post. Just be considerate, folks, and that might mean not having after-market loud pipes. Big deal. Small price to pay for civility, seems to me. But then again, I am not a bad-*** biker guy, one who gets his kicks by rubbing the other guy's nose in it. I am just a regular fellow who enjoys riding and who is trying to get along with the other souls in this world, most of whom are not impressed by hearing-threat decibles. Life is hard enough. Let's try to to **** off everyone. Pick your fights. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and neighbors