Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:15 PM
ferociousj
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes and neighbors

aceofspades im behind u all the way!!! i leave at 530 am and im running drags i only idle about 30 sec but the whole time there aimed at my neighbor who cant seem to take care of her property( i.e. taking trash out to curb, mowing grass, etc) even worse shes living there on the taxpayers dime. i give her a full blast whenever i leave getting into the motor hard.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have drags with lollipops installed. I move my bike out of the carport and start her. Run it for a few seconds and take off slowly. No complaints yet.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Stick a sock in itWhen my neighbors train their dogs to not bark all night and in the wee hours of the morning. Then I will worry about how loud my pipes are. I let it warm up and leave, don't rev it or anything, but I am also not worried about it.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: TheKingsOutlaw

I fire mine up after I get her out of the garage and let her run on full choke while I close the garage and put on my goggles and helmet. Then I push the choke in to 1/2 and ride slow for a mile or two. Then it's off with the choke and on with the ride.

TKO
Why not just put on your gear, fire up the bike and ride away? After you've gone a short distance start working in your choke. Setting there "warming up" is totally unnecessary.
That all depends on how freekin COLD is it. Granted it's certainly not cold right now, but when I start my bike in 20 degree temps, she's gotta have some time to warm up! If not, it will just stall out.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dalton

aceofspades,
I live at the end of a cul-de-sac so have to pass all of the neighbors when leaving. I like where I live and want to keep it neigborly so don't intentionally rile em up. Sometimes we just reap what we sow.

Used to have a "dont give a chit" attitude but have mellowed with age.
Yea, we all grow up eventually!!!

I don't leave til 830 for work now, so don't worry so much about the pipes as everybody is either already gone, or at least awake. Last year, when I had to be in at 6 am, I would roll the bike out into the street before firing it up. Nobody ever complained, and I went out of my way to keep it that way.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends on where I have my bike parked. I don't have a garage, unless you consider by basement my garage and my sliding glassdoor the garage door. So I either have to parkit on the roadright in front of my house orpull itout of the basementwhenever Itake it.I leave for work between 6 or 6:30 AM. All my neighbors are cool with me about the echoeing coming out of the Bassani's cause I tend to start it and leave ASAP (letting the choke slide in by itself as I ride)if I'm parked on the road.Italso helpsthat I forewarn them by putting the bike out on the road with the cover on it, so they know I'm taking it in the morning. Heck, one neighbor, (the one that gets all of the echo from when I pull out of the basement in the mornings), says he uses the start up of my bike and me leaving as his alarm clock. If I have to leave directly from the basement, I need to pull the bike out, start it, and let it warm up a bit due to having to ride up hill through wet/dewey grass. I'll be as courteous as possible....remember, treat others as you would want to be treated.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figure it this way, I'm not nearly as loud and obnoxious as my neighbor with the texas ironhorse slammer with the 111 S&S and rhinharts or his roommate's springer with the pythons. I am courteous as I live at the dead end of the street but I do let mine warm up.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
morton78
Advanced

I have V&H Pies on my Nightster and leave between 4:45 and 6 depending on how long it takes me to get up. LOL! I start it in the garage with the pipes facing the house, warm it up, and just cruise nice and easy down the street. I have asked my neighbors and they have all said that they don't even hear me.

Trae

Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Yez
4th Gear

4 out of 6 of my neighbors are riders so I don't worry about. Sorry that doesn't really help you any, but it helps me. [8D]

Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser

Open the windows to your house, blast your home stereo to drown out the noise of your bike so your neigbors will blame your loud stereo and not your bike.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and neighbors