Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
08FXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud pipes and neighbors

I start mine up in my pole barn with all the doors closed, let it warm up, open the door and take off.. seems to work good.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

I've always tried to be a good neighbor - keeping my yard and grass in nice shape, not playing loud music, etc. Most of my neighbors in our small subdivision seem to care less about manners (the guy next door felt it reasonable to cut downfive 100' pine trees on July 4 weekend - - - - a day after he moved in!!!). Ruined my outdoor barbeque gathering... I buzzed his house a couple of early mornings at low altitude, high speedin an airplane I fly for work - which made me smile.

For a couple of years, the kid across the street has a HondaAccord with one of those silly trumpet exhaust pipes ans races in and out at all hours (it's a freaking Japanese sedan...not a vintage musclecar for christs sake!!).
Sonow thatI have my Stage 1 Sporty with rumbling V & H's I'll still be considerate, but the noise is what it is...

Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
jasonyesensky
Advanced

There is about 40 houses on my dead end street and I live near the end never had anyone complain but there is also about 25 bike owners on my street also, so we all get along pretty good.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to start and go.I warm it up on the road not the driveway.Plus with the new jets it doesnt bog down when its cold anymore.I use the choke to start it and take off as soon as possible.I was told to choke it as little as possible.Use he throttle to warm it up I was told.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the houses in my subdivision have properties of an acre or more. Houses are not on top of eachother. The only house that is close to me is that of an older couple that have no problems whatsoever with my bike. Their grown up son has a road king with the loudest drag pipes i've ever heard. And they both used to ride in their younger years as well.

I've actually apologizedto a few neighborsafter I got my new vance and hines slip ons installed. No one in my neighborhood seemed to mind one bit.Hope it stays that way.I am so far the only one in our subdivision with a bike.

I absolutely want to be considerate, but I also don't want to tip toe around anyone. I think the separation between houses is enough to warrant not worrying too much. Plus, in my town, I sometimes think that there are more bikes than cars. At least in the summer anyway.

Rob

Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TestFlyer

I buzzed his house a couple of early mornings at low altitude, high speedin an airplane I fly for work -
That's freakin' awesome!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser

I have the V&H straight shot slip-ons and I too was concerned about the neighbors. They're pretty cool people but the bike was pretty loud coming home in the mornings, especially on the weekends when most people like to sleep in. I work nights and every other weekend. Anyway, I ended up buying the V&H street baffles and that seems to be a good trade off. still louder than stock but not enough to wake the dead. My wife usually has the garage door opened for me cause she says she can hear me pulling into the neighbrhood a couple of blocks away, so I guess they're still kinda loud. But I like the sound of it now and I'm not changing a thing. No complaints from neighbors either.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'M pretty lucky my neighbor rides a fatboy and has about 4-5 dirt bikes and the kid across the street has a sporty to so my neighbors can't really say much.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 PM
CWebb3
Advanced

I just put Cycle Shack slash cuts on mine and they are LOUD!! I can't even imagine what they would sound like with the baffles out. If I was still working and leaving for for work every day at 5:45AM like I did for years, I'd have to take them back off just out of courtesy. However, since I rarely leave before 9:00, the neighbors will just have to cope. :-)

Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My neighbor that doesn't like me sent her 12 year old daughter over at 11 am on a weekend to tell me to turn off the bikes because she was trying to sleep.The little girl was being a smart *** about so I told her they are my bikes I'm not breaking the local noise ordinances because of the time and now I see why you don't have any freinds.Didn't hear another thing about it.Wait until she has one of her big summer parties and 10pm hits.The cops will be called.This all stems back to when I used to fix her car for free and she took it somewhere and got ripped off by a tough sell and blamed me for it.Midas used the you need this or you will die routine when in fact the work didn't need done at all.My other neighbors never said a word about the noise but they all ask for my help around their house,car or yard and I am glad to help just as I used to do for the bitch.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and neighbors