Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for good baffles for my SE pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Fourstringin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good baffles for my SE pipes

I got this bike with no baffles at all and it runs great. However I'd like to quiet it down a bit for the neighborhood and still keep power and a good low rumble.

Any suggestions?

Looking for good baffles for my SE pipes-yeplmi0l.jpg

Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Try Dennis Kirk:
https://www.denniskirk.com/4403296.s...utm_medium=cse

Just make sure the diameter is correct for your muffler.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourstringin
I got this bike with no baffles at all and it runs great. However I'd like to quiet it down a bit for the neighborhood and still keep power and a good low rumble.

Any suggestions?

If you're looking to quiet it down a bit you could go with something like the Thunder Torque Inserts, they will give you a lower deeper tone. Thunder Torque inserts are designed to perform well when used on slip-ons with and without baffles. You can adjust the Thunder Torques to get it to the sound that you like best.

Here is a video of 5 bikes with the Thunder Torques installed.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing as you don't have any right now , anything should work pretty well.
These are fairly popular.
http://www.cycle-shack.com/cycle/ago...ANCE%20BAFFLES
Kelsey might have what you're looking for , you should already have the holes for them.
Pretty hard to go wrong for $19.00 ....
Mick

Old 01-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Fourstringin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mick
Seeing as you don't have any right now , anything should work pretty well.
These are fairly popular.
http://www.cycle-shack.com/cycle/ago...ANCE%20BAFFLES
Kelsey might have what you're looking for , you should already have the holes for them.
Pretty hard to go wrong for $19.00 ....
Mick

Yeah I believe I'm going to give the DK's a shot first since they look fairly easy to install after I make the original baffle mount point larger. If I need it quieter I may go with the baffles you mentioned.

My bigger concern is that I will have to get it tuned again and spend a lot of money just to make it quieter. The bike was tuned with a power commander by the previous owner already. I'm especially concerned because I want to get a DK air cleaner too that does not revert the motor air back into the breather. I'm hoping that alone wont need a retune.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Fourstringin
Yeah I believe I'm going to give the DK's a shot first since they look fairly easy to install after I make the original baffle mount point larger. If I need it quieter I may go with the baffles you mentioned.

My bigger concern is that I will have to get it tuned again and spend a lot of money just to make it quieter. The bike was tuned with a power commander by the previous owner already. I'm especially concerned because I want to get a DK air cleaner too that does not revert the motor air back into the breather. I'm hoping that alone wont need a retune.
It would depend on what Air Cleaner you already have on your bike, and if it was tuned before for a stage 1 Air Cleaner System.

If you don't already have it tuned for a Stage 1 Air Cleaner System, then you would need some type of Fuel Management, you could go with something like the XIED's for more of a budget solution.

Kelsey

Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sell the SE's and buy a set of Khrome Werks 3" HP+ slip-ons, they've got a great deep rumble but are NOT obnoxious. Then bite the bullet and purchase a Power Vision tuner that you can use to auto tune whatever your intake/exhaust combination may be, all by yourself, to have a great sounding and running bike

I assure you, you will not be disappointed in any respect whatsoever with the combination!

=8^)

Old 01-08-2015, 11:24 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

first thing is you will prolly not need a retune until you change the ac....second the retune you can do yourself..if it has a power commander, just call fuelmoto and they will walk you though it and even give you the proper map for your set up.. fuel moto will email the map to you and you just take the power commander and plug it into your computer and download the map into it...

Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Fourstringin
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrfikser
first thing is you will prolly not need a retune until you change the ac....second the retune you can do yourself..if it has a power commander, just call fuelmoto and they will walk you though it and even give you the proper map for your set up.. fuel moto will email the map to you and you just take the power commander and plug it into your computer and download the map into it...
Thank you, I did not know that. My current set up is the harley SE stage 1 air cleaner. So with that I'm hoping everything just runs correctly as it sits. I know what a bike sounds like that needs to be tuned so as soon as I make an order I'm hoping it will be pretty apparent.

Originally Posted by DrewBone
Sell the SE's and buy a set of Khrome Werks 3" HP+ slip-ons, they've got a great deep rumble but are NOT obnoxious. Then bite the bullet and purchase a Power Vision tuner that you can use to auto tune whatever your intake/exhaust combination may be, all by yourself, to have a great sounding and running bike

I assure you, you will not be disappointed in any respect whatsoever with the combination!

=8^)
I'll see how this sounds with the DK inserts and I'f it's terrible I might consider it. But it's just a total straight shot now (after the crossover) Will different slipons with no baffle make a difference?

Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing for me. Previous owner gutted the SE pipes on my FLHRS and it was way to loud and "hollow" sounding. Absolutely no low end torque.

I put a set of 2" Rush baffles in and it now sounds like it should big and low. And low end torque feels great now.

http://www.rushracingproducts.com/bafflekits.html
You should call to verify which set is for your mufflers.

Here is a set of videos that gives and idea of the sound (real life is louder that the videos BTW)

BTW, if you go to the youtube link, you can watch videos for all the baffle sizes.

Last edited by grapeapes; 01-09-2015 at 09:20 AM.