Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MEMPHIS SHADES.... ANYONE USE THEM,ANYONE LIKE THEM...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MEMPHIS SHADES.... ANYONE USE THEM,ANYONE LIKE THEM...

had one did not like it to much buffetting added lowers and that stopped the wind but I couldnt stand the look .

Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Del Rio is 15" above the headlight and I can just see over the the shield without stretching. If I go with the El Paso, which is 17" high, I would think that I would be looking at the top edge the whole time, unless I stretch my neck out,which for me would be annoying. According to harley's catalog and other books I've looked at, your'e supposed to get a shield that tops out just below the bridge of your nose, which mine does.They say that so your'e not looking through raindrops, bugs/road grime while your'e riding.But like I said, I get that stupid azz buffeting at above 35 mph and it drives me crazy. I thought about the lowers they offer but they don't quite look right on a sportster to me. I do know that air is coming from below the shield because when I put my hand at my chest, palm down, I can feel it. All I know is the harley shieldhad that old school look, kinda like my roadster, and I didn't have any buffeting issues with it . I just didn't give it enough time to get used to it as far as having to look through the shield instead of over it. I really don't plan to ride in the rain and the bugs out here aren't so bad that I can't keep the shield clean between rides. I seem to recall that my line of sight with the harley shield was about 3-4 inches below the top.
With the 2 Memphis Shades I have, the shipping charges,and the hardware kit, Iv'e got almost as much money tied up as I had in the Harley shield.
The Harley quick detach feature was nice too because a lot of times I don't like to ride with a shield anyway. Click on, click off.
Everyone is different and bikes are different so I guess its all about "trial and error". Part of the "harley taxes" I figure. Its like I want to put some new handlebars or risers on which are only around 50 bucks, but I know once I get into it, I'm sure its going to multiply ten fold by the time I replace cables, brake lines, etc. sh##, I'm still trying to get over spending over 500 bucks just to get my Harley to sound like a Harley, go figure.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
SteveM
Road Captain

I found them to be good quality and good design. Had a Memphis Fats on a previous bike and I wouldn't hesitate buyingagain.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MS quality is first rate. I have a Yammie factory sport shield on the Virago and a 21" MS Fats on the Sporty. I have a long torso and found that either a short shield (turbulence goes under your helmet) or a tall shield (turbulence goes over your helmet) work fine. A medium height shield will lower your IQ significantly.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
notmyspam32
Intermediate

I've had the Rio Grande for my XL 1200C for a couple of weeks. I went with the 19" version and it fits my 5' 9" just right (the top is about nose high when I sit up straight).

I just put in a bunch of 70-80MPH Interstate miles on over the weekend and didn't have any issues with head buffeting or any other issues. I was using my "police" style helmet. I've also tried some 30 mile Interstate tests with my full coverage and don't have any problems either.

I was looking for a detachable I could leave off most of the time, but put on for weekends when I put more miles on. I'm very happy so far, and the windshield has really extended my daily range now that I'm not being pushed by the wind all the time.