Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:40 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the link. Much stronger design than the Viking's and only $100 more. Worth saving for.

Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Cotten
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

These are leather bags I made a few years ago. Still on the bike and holding pretty good.

2011 HD xl883l with my homemade leather bags

I used 1/4" thick leather hide. each bag is two pieces stitched together

The bag ties, I bought a couple of flint arrow heads and used a diamond drill to put two hole in them so I could sew them to the bag.

Inside the bag, I made a square frame from 1" x 3/16" stainless steel. Then I folded the leather over and put #10-24 ss button heads on the underside and secured them with ss acorn nuts.

I Used another piece of 1" x 3/16" Stainless on the outside to sandwich the leather between the inner bag hoop. I also kept the quick release for the sissy bar.

Bags mounts I replaced the stock bolts with grade 6 bolts long enough to reach the nut in the fender.

I had to relocate the turn signals So I forged a curved bar with a hammer and a file. I powder coated it black along with the turn signal housing..

Two pieces stitched together. At some point I hope to tool a leather strip and use it with a finer stitch to cover the seam.

i forged an drilled Helmet hook for the side of my bag.

Leather Tank bag with flint arrow head for the tie down.

Last edited by Cotten; 11-13-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: add a picture
Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Nice job. Looks secure and well made. I like the helmet hook...good idea. Probably need to fab a brace for the cover so it doesn't bowl and collect water. Thanks for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
Cotten (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Cotten
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Nice job. Looks secure and well made. I like the helmet hook...good idea. Probably need to fab a brace for the cover so it doesn't bowl and collect water. Thanks for sharing.
Yea, the thread on the quick release got me focused on my bags again. When I made them the main goal was getting what ever I put in them to where ever I was going. But after looking at a lot of the bikes here my bags could use a little attention. One of the links in that thread did give me a new approach to the problem. When figure a way to get them on and off easier, I will do a little polish work on them, like a liner, do something with the covers like you said, and cover the seam down the back and front. Also thank you for the response.

hscic (11-13-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 10:17 PM
mx x
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the same but 08

this summer i wanted to strip my bike down or make changes for pure aesthetics , after riding last weekend in the 30's im pretty jealous of those leg and hand guards, i bet you got the heated grips too! great ride man, love the red

does my bag count?

Last edited by mx x; 11-26-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mx x
i got the same but 08

this summer i wanted to strip my bike down or make changes for pure aesthetics , after riding last weekend in the 30's im pretty jealous of those leg and hand guards, i bet you got the heated grips too! great ride man, love the red

does my bag count?
Of course, thanks for sharing. This thread is open to any type of bag or carrier....may give someone ideas to resolve their own issues. Beats wearing a backpack for sure.

Last edited by hscic; 11-26-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:38 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well mine isn't much but gets me in the bagster thread.

Here she is in current form. I have long term plans but these will do for now.

The butt shot

From the sexy side

What's underneath it all. My bags disconnect via zipper on top, and QD buckles at front and back. I made some bolt on clamps to keep the buckles from changing position.

hscic (11-26-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Superlow 1200T

This is my1200T without the bags or the wind screen as I use it daily for local rides and day cruises. I won't bore you with details, but the 1200T is the perfect bike for how I use the bike, and I love the way it handles. Plenty of power for a solo rider.

Bike at delivery with OEM equipment, including bags.
I purchased a 2017 SL 1200T in August. It was equipped with the OEM bags that are standard equipment on the SL 1200T. Since I ride solo and only plan to do short trips, the OEM bags are good enough. I also like that they are easy to remove so that I can remove them most of the time because I don't like bags hanging off the back while just cruising locally. I purchased acorn nuts to put on the mounting attachments to protect them.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:39 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim

This is my1200T without the bags or the wind screen as I use it daily for local rides and day cruises. I won't bore you with details, but the 1200T is the perfect bike for how I use the bike, and I love the way it handles. Plenty of power for a solo rider.

Bike at delivery with OEM equipment, including bags.
I purchased a 2017 SL 1200T in August. It was equipped with the OEM bags that are standard equipment on the SL 1200T. Since I ride solo and only plan to do short trips, the OEM bags are good enough. I also like that they are easy to remove so that I can remove them most of the time because I don't like bags hanging off the back while just cruising locally. I purchased acorn nuts to put on the mounting attachments to protect them.
Nice bike just the way it is (without bags). Just curious, how do you carry stuff i.e. backpack?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:01 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Jim
A question about the crash bar, does it connect, at the bottom, where the forward pegs would normally go, or elsewhere?

Great looking ride, by the way. How do the H D bags connect? Do they use the same QD mounts the sissy bar uses? Never seen them up close, as there is no dealer close by to see.

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger