Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by BensonUK
Yes run and brake lights, and why not be different to everyone else
Good job....I am all for being different.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by hscic
I anyone can think of a solutions to help me plant both feet on the ground, please let me know, otherwise I will be reinstalling the Burly slammers. The ability to plant both feet when stopping is more important than a comfortable ride.....safety first.
I've been riding for almost 50 years and only on few bikes have I ever been able to flat-foot. It's over-rated! Time in the saddle will solve most things, in other words experience and skill. The most you should consider IMHO is boots with heavy soles and a good tread pattern, to give you a sure footing. With Mrs B on the back of my Glide I can either get one foot down almost flat, or both toes. Don't need no more than that!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've been riding for almost 50 years and only on few bikes have I ever been able to flat-foot. It's over-rated! Time in the saddle will solve most things, in other words experience and skill. The most you should consider IMHO is boots with heavy soles and a good tread pattern, to give you a sure footing. With Mrs B on the back of my Glide I can either get one foot down almost flat, or both toes. Don't need no more than that!
Interesting....is this the norm?

Thanks, perhaps just need to get use to it. I will look at changing the soles on my boots.

Will also try putting back my mustang tripper fastback 2-up seat which has a lower profile....although I love the backrest.

Last edited by hscic; 08-09-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks, perhaps just need to get use to it. I will look at changing the soles on my boots.

Will also try putting back my mustang tripper fastback 2-up seat which has a lower profile....although I love the backrest.
I think you can do it! As long as your not ballerina type on your toes... And have a good set of riding boots with a solid sole.

You have miles on your ride right? So you know how it rides/stops etc.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you get with the other seat far as lowering it and how you think the new shocks feel.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

It's only in recent years that lowering a bike for anything other than show has become popular. In some ways it's understandable, but ride quality and cornering clearance both suffer. I could lower my Glide, but keep it at stock ride height (with custom Ohlins suspension at both ends) to maintain both of those.

I just bought myself a new sturdy pair of boots, following my own advice, but have yet to wear them on the bike. I'm also planning mods to my old Corbin, to improve clearance when I have a foot down. Gettin' old and looking for ways to make my ageing joints work more easily!

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
GMRO (08-09-2016), hscic (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 04:33 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GMRO
I think you can do it! As long as your not ballerina type on your toes... And have a good set of riding boots with a solid sole.

You have miles on your ride right? So you know how it rides/stops etc.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you get with the other seat far as lowering it and how you think the new shocks feel.
Thanks...think I will be fine. After changing the seat and putting on my boots, it was not too bad....not planting firmly but enough for stability.

One of the things that I noticed was more lean in the bike since I changed my kickstand to 1" under when I went with burly slammers.

Will take the bike out today to assess the ride with the new shocks.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Took the bike around for about an hour...compared to my burly slammers, well there is no comparison. SG air-oil shocks are smooth. No head jarring pot holes and bumps in the road. The best part is the greater lean angle so I can now have fun jamming turns without scraping my pipes and move over speed bumps without bottoming out....better responsiveness.

I wanted my backrest so I put back my mustang solo seat and removed the mustang tripper fastback 2-up. Will find boots with 1.75 - 2" heels or get my current boots modified.

Thank you everyone for your assistance and advice....gotta love this forum.

Here is a pic with the SG air-oil shocks and slightly higher stance compared to my signature pic

Last edited by hscic; 08-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GMRO (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:53 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

RK Shocks make such a difference to the comfort factor

The following 2 users liked this post by BensonUK:
GMRO (08-11-2016), hscic (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 AM
76Yankee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined the sight today and i looking arround in the forums and you have one for Sportster baggers, who would have thunk it.

My wifes almost all stock 1977 XLT

Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 76Yankee
Just joined the sight today and i looking arround in the forums and you have one for Sportster baggers, who would have thunk it.

My wifes almost all stock 1977 XLT
Looks great - and welcome to HDF. I had a new '74 Super Glide which I kitted out in almost identical style!

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger