Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:24 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Just sharing more recent pics with my matching rear wheel and pulley.

And yes I have DK Customs TTIs 158W installed in my 3" Rush with 2" baffles - pipes are not so obnoxiously loud now but still has a deep loud rumble...and I like loud. It also smoothed out the slight gaps in the powerband up the rpm range....perhaps my imagination but shifting seems to be a lot smoother.

Like I mentioned in my other post on a different thread, those USS "washers" for the pulley cost me $25 each...more than the USS bolts...go figure.

Last edited by hscic; 05-16-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
Changed my windshield for the 5th time...a Klock Werks Flared 8 1/2" Dark Smoke Windshield, hard-coated polycarbonate material for added durability, and patented design to create downforce to aid front end stability. Although the 9 1/2 was okay for deflecting wind, could not see through the windshield day or night. Actually beside the windshield that came with the fairing, KW fits the fairing the best (did not need to grind down center slot). We'll see how it deflect wind soon enough.

Also replaced my mirror to a convex mirror to get a wider field of view...it is made very well, heavy duty, low profile with some style.

Both were a bit pricey but are quality products.

Here we go again...Klock Werks windshield sucks. Although a good quality (and pricey) windshield, wind deflection got worse....directed the air flow right into my face. Reinstalled my 9 1/2 flared....flare is more upright.

Will be relocating my caliper in order to use an 11.5" larger matching rotor on the rear wheel (stock is 10.28"). Seems like a pretty simple mod...only two parts needed - caliper mounting bracket and spacer for a 2010 which comes stock with 11.5" rotor.

Last edited by hscic; 05-23-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:45 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hscic
Here we go again...Klock Werks windshield sucks. Although a good quality (and pricey) windshield, wind deflection got worse....directed the air flow right into my face. Reinstalled my 9 1/2 flared....flare is more upright.

Will be relocating my caliper in order to use an 11.5" larger matching rotor on the rear wheel (stock is 10.28"). Seems like a pretty simple mod...only two parts needed - caliper mounting bracket and spacer for a 2010 which comes stock with 11.5" rotor.

still the best lookin sporty bagger iv seen .... me likey awesome job maken it yours brother

The following users liked this post:
hscic (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by elfnyc
still the best lookin sporty bagger iv seen .... me likey awesome job maken it yours brother
Appreciate the kind word. It still rides like a sporty.

Last edited by hscic; 05-24-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:06 PM
SportyDoug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Touring Bags With CycleVisions Bracketry

I wanted to write a bit about the bags currently on my 2012 XL1200C. The brackets are from CycleVisions (purchased from another retailer) and the bags are from eBay. A company called Calvary Fiberglass makes a similar bracket set-up and has some beautiful bags for sale as well. The Calvary Fiberglass bracket set-up is a bit cheaper, but I could not get an affirmative about keeping the passenger pegs, which I use for a different riding position. Their bags are bullet proof but since I am changing the bags on 2 bikes I had to allow for a limited budget, demanding less expensive bags.

The installation was straight forward and there is a YouTube video out there from CycleVisions. I have 1 5/8” longer than stock shocks so I had to buy 1” lowering blocks to raise the rear axle above the factory mufflers. For the foot-pegs I used a clevis that accepts a 3/8” bolt. I ran the lower rails in front of the lower support brackets to allow for a bit more space between the bracketry and the swing-arm. Be sure to check to see this does not put the top receiver of the bags against your side covers. I had to shim the bracket at the shock top to move the bags away from the side covers.

Check the bolts you use to see they are not too short , or going to groove your rear tire.

The bolts from CycleVisions that hold the lower support brackets to the bike seemed a bit short for me so I bought the next size up. They went right in on the right side, but I ran out of threads on the boss on the left side - a tap job for another day.

I used Anti/Never-Seize on all the fasteners accept: 1) on the 2 bolts on each end of the struts, where I used blue Loctite; and 2) I dripped red Loctite on the ends of the ¼”x20 bolts after I had them in place. I rarely use red Loctite. It was initially termed “stud and bearing mount” and used for parts that rarely, if ever, come apart. I usually use Anti/Never-Seize in place of blue Loctitie on my H-Ds and have not lost a fastener (or boss), from vibration, or during disassembly, since I started doing so some 3 decades ago. YMMV.

Although I still have to water test the Chinese bags, everything seems to be working well. If the stock gasket is not keeping the water out I will add a thin closed-cell foam gasket to it. This was a great upgrade for me. A bolt on installation of parts that I bought for under $600.00. I would have panniers on the bike, but have never been able to find a company that makes them for H-D scooters.

I hope the pictures help. I had to stop filming when my MFC noticed me and began to head my way.

Best wishes to all for many safe and fun filled miles.

Attached Thumbnails Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2155.jpg   Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2169.jpg   Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2167.jpg   Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2158.jpg   Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2178.jpg  

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2174.jpg   Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger-100_2162.jpg  
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportyDoug
I wanted to write a bit about the bags currently on my 2012 XL1200C. The brackets are from CycleVisions (purchased from another retailer) and the bags are from eBay. A company called Calvary Fiberglass makes a similar bracket set-up and has some beautiful bags for sale as well. The Calvary Fiberglass bracket set-up is a bit cheaper, but I could not get an affirmative about keeping the passenger pegs, which I use for a different riding position. Their bags are bullet proof but since I am changing the bags on 2 bikes I had to allow for a limited budget, demanding less expensive bags.

The installation was straight forward and there is a YouTube video out there from CycleVisions. I have 1 5/8” longer than stock shocks so I had to buy 1” lowering blocks to raise the rear axle above the factory mufflers. For the foot-pegs I used a clevis that accepts a 3/8” bolt. I ran the lower rails in front of the lower support brackets to allow for a bit more space between the bracketry and the swing-arm. Be sure to check to see this does not put the top receiver of the bags against your side covers. I had to shim the bracket at the shock top to move the bags away from the side covers.

Check the bolts you use to see they are not too short , or going to groove your rear tire.

The bolts from CycleVisions that hold the lower support brackets to the bike seemed a bit short for me so I bought the next size up. They went right in on the right side, but I ran out of threads on the boss on the left side - a tap job for another day.

I used Anti/Never-Seize on all the fasteners accept: 1) on the 2 bolts on each end of the struts, where I used blue Loctite; and 2) I dripped red Loctite on the ends of the ¼”x20 bolts after I had them in place. I rarely use red Loctite. It was initially termed “stud and bearing mount” and used for parts that rarely, if ever, come apart. I usually use Anti/Never-Seize in place of blue Loctitie on my H-Ds and have not lost a fastener (or boss), from vibration, or during disassembly, since I started doing so some 3 decades ago. YMMV.

Although I still have to water test the Chinese bags, everything seems to be working well. If the stock gasket is not keeping the water out I will add a thin closed-cell foam gasket to it. This was a great upgrade for me. A bolt on installation of parts that I bought for under $600.00. I would have panniers on the bike, but have never been able to find a company that makes them for H-D scooters.

I hope the pictures help. I had to stop filming when my MFC noticed me and began to head my way.

Nice bags and set-up...thanks for sharing.

What is MFC?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyDoug

Do the bags mount onto the frame or just rest on them.
I had some of the chinese bags off ebay and used the fittings that came with them. They lasted about 1000 miles until the vibration must have been too much for them and they cracked along the mounting points.
I know have the Tsukayu bags and they are not the same sort of 'plastic' that my first ones were

Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM
SportyDoug
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MFC = Mean F%#*ing Cat.

The bags rest on the bottom rail of the mounting system, which is attached to different parts of the frame, along with being connect - right bag to left. The bags I got off eBay were listed as ABS. They are not top flight bags like those produced by Calvary Fiberglass, but were what I could afford. They fit okay and work okay, so far. I recently added 3/8"x1/8" weatherstripping to the existing gasket material on the lid, feeling not all that sure the bags would be water tight w/o it.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Just sharing pics I took today of the whole bike without bags. I love having a place to store my stuff....so the bags are already back on. Like the small quick-release mounting bracket for these bags...sturdy, yet can hardly see it when the bags are off.

The sporty bagger lives on....

Last edited by hscic; 07-03-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
savagetman
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hscic the bike looks great im hoping to have a batwing and cat crusher put on this coming winter

The following users liked this post:
hscic (07-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger