Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:19 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonHarley
Hi hscic hope all is well and thanks for the reply.
Taking a breather is exactly what I will do.

Before getting the bags the one thing I wanted going into this was to get the bags with the least amount of custom work. I wanted easy plug and play. That probably would have been getting the HD relocation kit + HD detachable bags but that would have cost me WAY too much money and overpriced at that.

The HD relocation kit just makes the turn signals in the back look ugly. I've looked at some other kits, like an inexpensive one that has simple brackets that attach behind the license plate. It's cheap looking IMO.

Second, when I bought the Viking Bags I had no idea because the turn signals would be take off the fender support bars there would obviously be a hole there. My auto body guy pointed this out and I was like DOH. HD sells covers for these holes. Of course it wouldn't matter if I left the bags on permanently because no one would see, but I wanted detachable so the holes would be present the bags were off.

I was then thinking, get one of those cool under the fender led lights with built in turn signals. It would look extremely clean and not be that expensive. But ALL of those are made for Sportster models EXCEPT mine - 1200C. The 72, 48, 833, etc. Not mine though. When I called a place about this the woman responded with yup universal, will def fit your 2015 Sportster 1200C. I was JUST about to order when their tech guy calls me to tell me NOPE it won't work because my fender comes down further than other Sportster models so the lights would in effect point DOWN no straight back.

These were exactly the type of issues I didn't want to come across and they did.

Yes I know to some people these are minor issues, first world problems, etc. but I'm just a simple guy, I'm not handy and wanted a simple solution that looked clean.

Yesterday we had gorgeous weather in Mass, 60 degrees and sunny. I took my bike out for an hour and just forgot about all that nonsense.

I decided I would do what you said, take a breather and think things over. Maybe some new products will come on the market.

I'm just gonna enjoy riding my bike.

I'm sorry for the rant, thank you listening.
I feel your pain....yes enjoy riding your bike. That is the reason you bought a Harley. Take your time with your mods...as long as the bike runs.

The holes can easily be covered with short chrome bolts. Keep looking around...there are some nice relo kits, but I guess "nice" is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by hscic; 04-01-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

I think we have all sat there at some point and thought...god why did I start this.
I know it might be extreme but have you thought of mounting the turn signals into the bags.
Or being radical and making it work what about this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smoke-Led-Tu...RW-eIy&vxp=mtr

Old 04-01-2016, 02:27 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
A couple of pics under the afternoon sun

That looks great! Nice addition to a great looking bike for sure.

The following 2 users liked this post by GMRO:
DavidStiebel (04-08-2016), hscic (04-01-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 01:36 AM
johnny5gti
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread. Really want to get some bags for the sporty but wanted to keep them thin enough to not have them stick out too much. Lane splitting in california is too convenient to pass up

Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnny5gti
great thread. Really want to get some bags for the sporty but wanted to keep them thin enough to not have them stick out too much. Lane splitting in california is too convenient to pass up
What kind of bike do you have? Post some pics.

Leather throw-over saddlebags are generally narrower than hard bags...obviously you will have less storage space. A lot of good options on this thread. Good luck.

Last edited by hscic; 04-06-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:32 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,169 Posts

My painted covers installed...wow that is a lot of chrome gone from the sides. I guess I need to get use to it.
Haven't been on this thread in awhile.

You're Sporty is looking sweet! Yeah you're losing some chrome, but those covers look dang good on there IMO. Looks like you gained some of it back with those cool wheels though. I have the Sinisters on my King.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
Haven't been on this thread in awhile.

You're Sporty is looking sweet! Yeah you're losing some chrome, but those covers look dang good on there IMO. Looks like you gained some of it back with those cool wheels though. I have the Sinisters on my King.
Thanks RKZen...thanks for sharing the pic of your sporty. You bike looks sweet as well which was my inspiration.

Yeah have my rear fat spokes wheel/Metzler tire/matching rotor on order to match my front and waiting to be shipped. Once installed, won't look so mickey mouse with two different wheel sets...lol.

Last edited by hscic; 04-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:18 AM
johnny5gti
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of bike do you have? Post some pics.

Leather throw-over saddlebags are generally narrower than hard bags...obviously you will have less storage space. A lot of good options on this thread. Good luck.
Got a sportster as well

Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnny5gti
Got a sportster as well

Very nice...what year and model?

Noticed those special shocks...probably need some mounting brackets to keep it away from the shocks and depending on the type of bags, may need to relocate your turn signal.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:27 AM
EXNAUTI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hogie_gt
Here is mine. I kept it cheap and simple.

Hey Hogie, Did you mod the stock windshield to fit those lamps? Do you have any close up pics of the lamp/windshield mounts?

I'm trying to figure out how to add passing lamps on my 05 883L.
I really like the full size lamps over the smaller bullet type lights.
My windshield quick release brackets fit between the upper/lower triple trees. Seems like I'll have to hack into the windshield to get the lamps to fit? Anyone know how I can get this set-up to work?

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger