Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:21 PM
BostonHarley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I relocated my stock turn signals...my bags are RBT when they are on the bike.

Close-up so you can see the mounts. Have quick release mounts for my sissy so had to use longer bolts.

This is the J&P Cycle relocation kit that I am using. Just remove the turn signal from the fender, install on license plate kit, and reroute the wires to the turn signal connectors in the tail light. Hardest part is removing the turn signal from the fender since there is a nut inside the strut cover holding the turn signal.
Thanks for the added pictures!
I think if I go this route I will buy the HD relocation kit. I would like to keep the rear turn signals for when i wouldn't have the bags on the bike.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2016, 04:07 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonHarley
Thanks for the added pictures!
I think if I go this route I will buy the HD relocation kit. I would like to keep the rear turn signals for when i wouldn't have the bags on the bike.

Thanks!
No problem....glad to share. Just providing another option for rear turn signal relocation kit if you find HD's relocation kit doesn't work for you or too pricey.

Love my bags...beats wearing a backpack or strapping things to the fender lol? You came to the right place as this is a bagger thread.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:02 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BensonUK
Have you ridden with the black flared one yet, any difference?
Took the bike out for a short run on surface streets...as expected, much better. No direct airflow from the 9.5" flared WS hitting my head/face. Still get breeze which is wanted, but no strong stream of air off the WS that I was getting with the 10" straight and the 8" flared.

Update 2/26/16: Took the bike on the freeway and it was better but there is still some airflow...but not too bad. I think if I go taller, will need light tint for lower view. If I bring down my helmet visor, its all good. So will probably leave it.

Last edited by hscic; 02-27-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 AM
BostonHarley
Intermediate

No problem....glad to share. Just providing another option for rear turn signal relocation kit if you find HD's relocation kit doesn't work for you or too pricey.

Love my bags...beats wearing a backpack or strapping things to the fender lol? You came to the right place as this is a bagger thread.

Good luck!
When you had them painted do you know if they were disassembled?
My autobody shop said it may be a pain to paint them with the hinges on there, unless he can disassemble the hard bags.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:01 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

When you had them painted do you know if they were disassembled?
My autobody shop said it may be a pain to paint them with the hinges on there, unless he can disassemble the hard bags.
Actually not sure if he disassembled to paint...I just took my bags out of the box to my custom painter. He disassembled and reassembled whatever was needed to properly paint the bags. My painter specializes custom painting for motorcyles (he even does a lot for the local Harley dealership) so he has no problem with disassembly. I do believe he would removed the lids to paint. I do know he disassembled and reassembled my fairings for painting since I was there when he was reassembling it. Perhaps your shop is familiar with cars/trucks not motorcycles.

Update 2/27/16: Just dropped off my oil and battery covers for painting and asked my painter about the disassembly of the hinges on hard saddlebags....answer: YES he removed the hinges. He said it is easier to paint if removed. There are 8 torque screws holding the hinge and 2 holding the cover. He said it is simple to remove.

Last edited by hscic; 02-27-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 476 Likes on 242 Posts

If you have a Sportster Bagger, please share your pics. Would like to see what kind of baggers are out there and what you did to your ride. I realize "baggers" are more common in the touring world, but just checking the Sporty community in hopes of finding a new generation of Sportsers and bringing this specialized group together to collaborate and share ideas.

Here is my Sporty Bagger...2011 Sportster Low XL1200L

Great job

Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Low budget Dan
Great job
Thanks much!...wow you reply to posts from the beginning..lol. Here is a more recent pic. but as mentioned above sent a set battery and oil covers to the painters to color-match.

Share some recent pics of your bagger

Last edited by hscic; 02-28-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:21 PM
BostonHarley
Intermediate

Actually not sure if he disassembled to paint...I just took my bags out of the box to my custom painter. He disassembled and reassembled whatever was needed to properly paint the bags. My painter specializes custom painting for motorcyles (he even does a lot for the local Harley dealership) so he has no problem with disassembly. I do believe he would removed the lids to paint. I do know he disassembled and reassembled my fairings for painting since I was there when he was reassembling it. Perhaps your shop is familiar with cars/trucks not motorcycles.

Update 2/27/16: Just dropped off my oil and battery covers for painting and asked my painter about the disassembly of the hinges on hard saddlebags....answer: YES he removed the hinges. He said it is easier to paint if removed. There are 8 torque screws holding the hinge and 2 holding the cover. He said it is simple to remove.
Thank you for the info! My friend should definitely be able to do it, I was just wondering how you had yours painted.

I think I will order these primed so they will be ready to paint!

Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Thank you for the info! My friend should definitely be able to do it, I was just wondering how you had yours painted.

I think I will order these primed so they will be ready to paint!
Cool....post some pics when you are done.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM
BostonHarley
Intermediate

Cool....post some pics when you are done.
Will do, that kind you!

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger