Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:42 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JoN_JoN
Did you paint the bags or did Tsukayu do that for you? Just wondering cuz I've been wanting to get the replica anniversary pinstripe (since I can't get the original) and put them on the bags but I have to clear coat over them and idk how hard that would be
I purchased the bags primed. I did not paint the bags myself. My custom graphics painter prepped, re-primed, applied base and top coat paint, pinstriped, and clear-coated the bags. He also clearcoated my gas tank. So to answer your question not sure how hard it is if you do it yourself but according to my painter....it's not a complicated task, just check the compatibility of the paint/clearcoat.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:39 PM
JoN_JoN
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
I purchased the bags primed. I did not paint the bags myself. My custom graphics painter prepped, re-primed, applied base and top coat paint, pinstriped, and clear-coated the bags. He also clearcoated my gas tank. So to answer your question not sure how hard it is if you do it yourself but according to my painter....it's not a complicated task, just check the compatibility of the paint/clearcoat.
How much did it cost ya if you don't mind me asking? Also my turn signals don't blink when I engage them. They remain on until I disengage them. Did you deal with this before you changed them to running lights? That load equalizer box they came with also heated up a ton and melted the plastic a little around it so I removed it.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

How much did it cost ya if you don't mind me asking? Also my turn signals don't blink when I engage them. They remain on until I disengage them. Did you deal with this before you changed them to running lights? That load equalizer box they came with also heated up a ton and melted the plastic a little around it so I removed it.
Are you asking for the entire paint job or only the clear coat? Perhaps you wired your turn signals wrong. How did you do it. I tried making my lights running and brake with a special wiring adapter but it did not work and the wires got too hot. I am running only brake lights.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM
JoN_JoN
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you asking for the entire paint job or only the clear coat? Perhaps you wired your turn signals wrong. How did you do it. I tried making my lights running and brake with a special wiring adapter but it did not work and the wires got too hot. I am running only brake lights.
The whole paint job? Also, I just connected them straight to my existing turn signal lines. They are turn and brake lights but I don't use them since they don't blink.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:08 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

The whole paint job? Also, I just connected them straight to my existing turn signal lines. They are turn and brake lights but I don't use them since they don't blink.
My paint job was $450.

Turn signal wires are different from the running/brake lights...perhaps you have them connected to the running light wires which may be why your wires get hot...because they are always on. The bag LEDs are only made for turn signals or brake lights....not running lights.

The bag LEDs are single element with two wires, hot and ground. How did you split the hot to connect to the turn and the brake.

Last edited by hscic; 06-07-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:25 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

How secure are the bags?
Is there any wobble.
I did fit some hard bags to my sporty but there was a lot of wobble so took them off in the end and went to soft bags until I find some good fitting ones

Old 06-08-2015, 05:22 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

@BensonUK - what kind of hard bags did you install and did it come with mounting brackets?

I do not have any wobble on my bags. JonJon can also input on his install of the same bags. It connects to the bags using two special quick release brackets installed on the strut cover. The bags also have a long bracket pre-installed and pre-drilled. There are no other support brackets. Visually, it would seem that you would encounter wobble especially on the bottom end of the bags since there are only two points of contact, but the bags are pretty sturdy. It could be just well-engineered and placed more towards the center of the bags to miniimze the wobble.

Last edited by hscic; 06-08-2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Sporty-J
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingxirol
What brand are those aux lights? I remember reading in one of your posts that they are 2x brighter than the daymaker. That's saying something about their intensity.
I love these lights...here is a website that sells them:
http://www.extremelights.co.za/product/2-x-spot-3600-free-handlebar-switch-combo/

If you look carefully, they can be bought for right around $86 shipped.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

@BensonUK - what kind of hard bags did you install and did it come with mounting brackets?

I do not have any wobble on my bags. JonJon can also input on his install of the same bags. It connects to the bags using two special quick release brackets installed on the strut cover. The bags also have a long bracket pre-installed and pre-drilled. There are no other support brackets. Visually, it would seem that you would encounter wobble especially on the bottom end of the bags since there are only two points of contact, but the bags are pretty sturdy. It could be just well-engineered and placed more towards the center of the bags to miniimze the wobble.
I bought some of the generic plastic ones from ebay.
Seem to the job for long enough but with only 2 points of contact they were just not up to the job for the amount of miles I am doing.
I am thinking that the Tsukayu ones are the way forward after seeing some fitted on my friends Fatbob. Much better quality and far more secure

Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BensonUK
I bought some of the generic plastic ones from ebay.
Seem to the job for long enough but with only 2 points of contact they were just not up to the job for the amount of miles I am doing.
I am thinking that the Tsukayu ones are the way forward after seeing some fitted on my friends Fatbob. Much better quality and far more secure
Since your bags were made of generic plastic, the wobble could have been from the bags and not the mounts. Tsukaya's are made of high quality hand-laid fiberglass which is muich stronger than chop-gun fiberglass or ABS plastic.
Hope you find the bags that are right for you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger